What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Dolphins debut be delayed to 2024?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think they should go ok, and by ok I mean not be wooden spooners for their first three years. Id expect them to be around 10th with that pack, higher if they can land Munster and Walsh. They will be rebuilding pretty much from day one anyway given the age of most of the pack they have signed so by year 4 they will have replaced half the squad. I still thin with an extra year to sign two lots of players off contract plus some concessions for signing outside the NRL then we could have seen a better outcome. How many people are going to trek from the north to Suncorp to see a team getting beaten most weeks? If they only draw 10-15k in their couple of years and bounce along at the bottom it'll be seen as a bit of a disaster and could set expansion back even further.
Anyone on here from Brisbane feeling much hype or seeing much promotion of Dolphins and memberships etc in the city area? How's the Brisbane media covering them?
The fact that they are at Suncorp means that they won't only draw fans from the North.

In terms of average attendances. The Broncos, Storm, Cowboys and Titans will (let's just say worst case scenario) average 30k for the Dolphins from those four games. Other than that, if they average 15k (again, worst case scenario, the potential is much higher) for the rest of their matches they'll average 20k for the season and be in the top three attended teams in the league. Again... before we go down the ''Brisbane 2 should be better than 20k average'' route, that is pretty much worst case scenario. Those figures are very conservative.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact that they are at Suncorp means that they won't only draw fans from the North.

In terms of average attendances. The Broncos, Storm, Cowboys and Titans will (let's just say worst case scenario) average 30k for the Dolphins from those four games. Other than that, if they average 15k (again, worst case scenario, the potential is much higher) for the rest of their matches they'll average 20k for the season and be in the top three attended teams in the league. Again... before we go down the ''Brisbane 2 should be better than 20k average'' route, that is pretty much worst case scenario. Those figures are very conservative.
That really depends how many games at Suncorp. If its 10 there and 1 at redcliffe and SC then yeh for sure. If its 8 there the perception might be very different. Hopefully they aren't that stupid!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That really depends how many games at Suncorp. If its 10 there and 1 at redcliffe and SC then yeh for sure. If its 8 there the perception might be very different. Hopefully they aren't that stupid!
I think they'll use Redcliffe and / or SC Stadium for their Thursday night games that would draw shit crowds at Suncorp anyway. We'll see what the split is but I think commercial realities will mean that it is one or two games max at those smaller venues

I think they'll use Redcliffe and / or SC Stadium for their Thursday night games that would draw shit crowds at Suncorp anyway. We'll see what the split is but I think commercial realities will mean that it is one or two games max at those smaller venues
They should play The Sharks at Dolphin Oval on a Friday night at 6pm. The Redcliffe Leagues Club can sell flake and chips that night.

some11

Referee
GWS Giants came dead last in their first 2 seasons, won 3 games all up in their first 2 seasons.... got better eventually and made a grand final, but still very modest support in Sydney, truck loads of money wasted on them.... Are we now saying they are the model on how the Dolphins should be set up?
awkward.

some11

Referee
uhh no.... a bunch of people like Phil Gould are saying the Dolphins should be given similar dispensation and leg ups as what GWS got. I'm saying but GWS were terrible in their first few seasons and their support is woeful.
If the dolphins get cap concessions I think the sentiment on here will change very quickly.

Perhaps we need a draft going forward. That would be more equitable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the dolphins get cap concessions I think the sentiment on here will change very quickly.

Perhaps we need a draft going forward. That would be more equitable.
They could have been a bit more creative than just a straight up cap increase, that would annoy the clubs even more as they signed better players from them. Maybe a modest relocation allowance for first two years plus a cap bonus for signing any player outside of the NRL for the first 5 years of $1million a year. The latter would have stopped the Dolphins weakening the rest of the comp and created interest with SL and Union players coming to NRL.

Latest posts