What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NRL have smaller in goal areas?

Should the in goal area be reduced?

• Total voters
wtf is with people in this thread thinking that shortening the in-goals somehow means that the ad boards will move even closer to the action than what they were before when in fact they would be further away. I love how everyone puts shit on Bunniesman due to stupidity, but in this thread, he is Einstein.

FTR, it's not a bad idea at all.

Do you seriously think that grounds which sell advertising space on fence hoardings will want them out of camera shot if they shorten the in goals? You are dreaming if you think that will be allowed to happen. Eithther ground managements will bring in hoardings closer to the deadball line or the clubs themselves will. Anything for a buck.

Further shortening the in-goals also reduces your opportunities for repeat sets of six as it makes it much harded to get a grubber into the in goal and stop.

I only entered this thread to vote that BM is an idiot.

Bunniesman isn't an idiot. He's brilliant. Not only is he full of good ideas, he speaks french. He translated "voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" for me. Did you know it means... "I want to touch your meat wand"?

Well if the rules say they can be 6 to 11m, to save another bloody rule change , just make them 6m across the board.

What cracks me up is the in-goals in rugby. Wasnt there 1 during the year about 15m?

For those that know Rugby, why are they so big?

The note 4 to Chapter 1 of the Laws of the Game states -

4. For adult games the dimensions should be as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated.

Additionally, as Canard pointed out in his post, for NRL games they were standardised in terms of size because some clubs were altering their in goals on a week to week basis. Section 18 of the Laws of the Game states:

Dimensions Each NRL Competition venue playing surface will have the following dimensions:
Field Width: 68m
Length: Goal line to goal line - 100m
In-goal areas - to messure 68m X 8m.
Goal posts: Height : 16m​
Width: 5.5 m

Hope that answers your question.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Further shortening the in-goals also reduces your opportunities for repeat sets of six as it makes it much harded to get a grubber into the in goal and stop.

Good! That is the whole point. The game has become too 'kick centred'. Shorten the in goals and make teams run the ball more. Better game to watch that way.

hardbaby

Coach
What cracks me up is the in-goals in rugby. Wasnt there 1 during the year about 15m?

For those that know Rugby, why are they so big?

Because it has no relevence on the game. There are no repeat sets (although you can force a five metre scrum). There are no bombs sailing into the in-goal and no grubbers. Attacking opportunities are so rare, if you get that close you either try to score a try or (sadly) force a penalty and shoot for goal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smaller I goals would make grounds safer (longer distance between dead all line and hoardings) and may reduce the prolific and boring kicking from 20metres out we see. Might make stand offs actually relearn how to pass and scrum halfs to take on the line.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ps I'd shorten the current 8m to 5m and have a tap restart on the 30m line instead of 20m to discourage kicking on the last when close to the line.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Ps I'd shorten the current 8m to 5m and have a tap restart on the 30m line instead of 20m to discourage kicking on the last when close to the line.

Love this idea, also would like the defending team to get the ball back if they defend the bomb.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bunniesman isn't an idiot. He's brilliant. Not only is he full of good ideas, he speaks french. He translated "voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" for me. Did you know it means... "I want to touch your meat wand"?

I dare say thats the only phrase he knows, but he can probably say it in 25 different languages.

POPEYE

Coach
I'm with BM, 4 metres would be enough to allow for extenuating circumstances putting the ball down and reduce 'luck' with a wayward bounce that wasn't orchestrated and deter 'hail Mary' kickers

Tone83

Juniors
I dare say thats the only phrase he knows, but he can probably say it in 25 different languages.
That is hilarious.

Even though I think BM is one of the most insightful posters on the forum with great instincts for footy and talent.

That's still funny.

Shit load of people who post on here seem to find League boring.

Always room for improvement. Also bring in the free play we have in SL, it's like an extended advantage rule, have you seen it?

Also like, that if a high kick is diffused, even if the attacking team regain possession but don't score directly off it, the defending team get the ball back. Good idea that, nice one. So if it is batted back, and the attacking team are tackled before scoring a try then, the ball it handed over.