What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we go to court to claim our premierships back?

Should we take the NRL to court to claim our premierships back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evenflow

Bench
I actually think the Storm still have a lot to lose.

• They would be in grave danger of folding if they lose News Ltd's funding (they currently lose around 6 million a year, good luck trying to find someone willing to buy the club just to lose $6million a year). i think it is a very real possibility that News will pull out of the Storm if the law suit goes ahead since the directors are infact suing the owners of the club (because of their 50% share in the NRL)
I don't think they'll need much luck finding someone to buy the club. It's no secret that Gerry Ryan is a passionate Storm man and has negotiated a few times with News to buy the club. There is no way whatsoever that News will pull out and just let the Storm die because they'll make a sh*tload more from them in their tv interests than what they lose on them.

There's no doubt they wouldn't mind selling the Storm but why do you think they've made it a strict condition of selling them that they must be looked after financially for any losses they incur for the next 5 years if/when the independent commission comes in? Do you think they're only doing that for their undying love for the Storm? LOL PLEASE, Of course they aren't, all they care about is lining their already bulging bank balance and the facts are they'll make much more with the Storm in the comp than out of it. If that wasn't the case they'd have dumped them years ago.

Caravan king in bid to buy Storm

HE'S ranked as one of Australia's richest men and now caravan king Gerry Ryan is poised to channel his riches into ownership of the Melbourne Storm.

One of the four independent directors who yesterday commenced court action against the NRL, Ryan is understood to have spoken to employees at the club about a buy-out from News Ltd.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ryan was in purchase negotiations with News Ltd as recently as March - just weeks before the salary cap scandal, which has now put him at odds with the current owners, erupted. When previous major sponsor ME withdrew, Ryan's company Jayco Caravans stepped into the breach to assume the jersey-front naming rights.

It's also understood Ryan's deep pockets are ready to fund the lion's share of the legal costs involved in the current proceedings. According to the most recent BRW Rich List survey, the 59-year-old is worth around $130 million - ranking him the 10th wealthiest man in Australia. Last year, he purchased an $18 million mansion in the exclusive Melbourne suburb of Toorak. He has also been a long-time benefactor of a range of sporting organisations.

When contacted yesterday, Ryan would not comment on any future developments.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/caravan-king-in-bid-to-buy-storm/story-e6frexni-1225867055097

Greenbits

Juniors
The fact that 11 of you have voted in favour of legal action has abolished whatever sentiment I had for the Storm.

You cheated in 2007, and do not deserve that premiership. You cheated in 2009 and do not deserve that premiership. You cheated this year and deserve to sit it out.

Legal action will achieve nothing more than do further damage tothe Storm brand and rugby league in Melbourne.

Evenflow

Bench
The fact that 11 of you have voted in favour of legal action has abolished whatever sentiment I had for the Storm.

You cheated in 2007, and do not deserve that premiership. You cheated in 2009 and do not deserve that premiership. You cheated this year and deserve to sit it out.

Legal action will achieve nothing more than do further damage tothe Storm brand and rugby league in Melbourne.

Either you have a very selective memory (possibly) or you're just too stupid (more than likely) to realise that Canberra also cheated in 1990 so i take it that you don't think the Raiders didn't deserve the title that year either? Surely you can't apply one rule for one team and a different rule for another?

Greenbits

Juniors
Either you have a very selective memory (possibly) or you're just too stupid (more than likely) to realise that Canberra also cheated in 1990 so i take it that you don't think the Raiders didn't deserve the title that year either? Surely you can't apply one rule for one team and a different rule for another?

Thanks for the personal attack, playing the man, not the ball... how very Storm.

I do remember the 1991 Canberra cap breach, though I was young. My recollection is that the Raiders were something like 100k over the cap, that these payments were in the form of representative incentives and that the breach was transparent.

There was no hidden filing cabinet, there were not two contracts for each player, there were no boats, no Harvey Norman gift vouchers, no home renovations.

In summary, there was no covert, deliberate rorting of the rules to the tune of 25% of the salary cap. The issue was investigated and dealt with by the appropriate authorities. The punishment nearly bankrupted the Raiders, yet it was accepted and the club rebuilt.

In case you haven't noticed, the Melbourne Storm deliberately and methodically rorted the salary cap, THEY CHEATED. Once this scum club and its whoa-is-me supporters accept this and their punishment, we can all move forward to try to repair the damage that has been done.

Stormroolz

Juniors
I believe we were denied natural justice and that the NRL process was unfair.

Fact: The NRL system is flawed.
Fact: The salary cap system is flawed.
Fact: We won those premierships in 2007 and 2009. There is no need to strip us of that. Penalise us other ways if it makes them feel better.
Fact: Melbourne is being used as a punching bag and smokescreen to cover up the failings of the NRL and the widespread rorting that happens in other clubs.

If News won't help us with serious reform, then we will take News Ltd down. This court case will be a catalyst to get rid of the conflict of interest News has in the game.
If we go bust we will resurrect ourselves one way or another.

Your so right mate.

Weel be back by the end of the weak. NO way thay can take those premeirships off us, their ours and we earned them. Salary cap breech,thats tecnical crap? All the clubs are cheeting its jsut rubbish.

f**k Gallop and his cronees. 2010 hear we come! Weel show them.

Greenbits

Juniors
The NRL has lost all credibility with me. IF we are cheats then why do they let us field the same team?

Unbelievable. There is no IF. What part of cheat don't you understand? The Storm forced the NRL into this position, if you need someone to blame, blame your club. The Storm is not the victim in this.

hellteam

First Grade
The NRL has lost all credibility with me. IF we are cheats then why do they let us field the same team?

Storm fans are losing all credibility with the rest of Australia by the day if this sh*t continues. You cheated, just cop it. You'll come back strong, even if you keep 3/4 of that team you're still better then the rest of the NRL.

Your so right mate.

Weel be back by the end of the weak. NO way thay can take those premeirships off us, their ours and we earned them. Salary cap breech,thats tecnical crap? All the clubs are cheeting its jsut rubbish.

Illegally earnt them.

Because you're out.

little_aza

Juniors
Your so right mate.

Wouldn't it be amusing if someone decided to make up a fake account on the 17/05/2010, posted one-eyed garbage about how Melbourne didn't cheat, and then wrote like a complete idiot. You know, then some people would really hate the cr@p that person wrote - and then some people would assume such views were indicative of all Storm fans, therefore fuelling more anti-Melbourne rhetoric?

Wait..that's already happened: hey troll.

Four posts, and I'm already sick of your douchebaggery.

Stormroolz

Juniors
Wouldn't it be amusing if someone decided to make up a fake account on the 17/05/2010, posted one-eyed garbage about how Melbourne didn't cheat, and then wrote like a complete idiot. You know, then some people would really hate the cr@p that person wrote - and then some people would assume such views were indicative of all Storm fans, therefore fuelling more anti-Melbourne rhetoric?

Wait..that's already happened: hey troll.

Four posts, and I'm already sick of your douchebaggery.
Your the douche? I can suppot any team I want. YOur not a reel Melbourne fan anyway.

Melbourne rulz anyway haha.

joseph1

Juniors
Then play by the Rulz. I cant believe how unintelligent some of these melbourne fans are. You cheated. You got caught. You lose. Game over. Continue?

little_aza

Juniors
Then play by the Rulz. I cant believe how unintelligent some of these melbourne fans are. You cheated. You got caught. You lose. Game over. Continue?

Do you honestly think this lollipoper is actually a Melbourne fan? He's a troll.

And in the unlikely event that someone who made up an account yesterday, and has posted nothing but unreasonable dribble IS a real Storm Supporter, I disown him. Support for our team is what we need, but we don't need some senseless degenerate.

Stormroolz

Juniors
Do you honestly think this lollipoper is actually a Melbourne fan? He's a troll.

And in the unlikely event that someone who made up an account yesterday, and has posted nothing but unreasonable dribble IS a real Storm Supporter, I disown him. Support for our team is what we need, but we don't need some senseless degenerate.
FACT: ive bean to EVERY Storm grand fineal win.
The Storm is wun big familly. Wey stand sholder to sholder, as hour teem walked to that famus press connfrence!

Unnited we stand, divvided we fawl?

Stormroolz

Juniors
How do you build a fortay...with nailsay.
No! You need a monetary incentive. Roll out a shi@#tload of cable to sell pay TV, hijack the product and screw it for all it's worth. As part of the scam, create a soulless team under the pretence that you're genuine! To complete the pretence, rip off your supporter base by pouring in 66 mill and tell em to f off the moment it doesn't suit your business model!

Go neck yourself loser!

bye the whay, bann me kia, cause I hate yore team. I've joined five times in a week. Hide behind static IP's and email addresses all you want. I will rejoin again, again and again. Your read the papers? I doubt it, but the bqnning people and proposing filters that you and your ilk encourage are nothing but a laugh. See ya soon Kia.

Last edited: