What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siebs Must Go.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If seibs was fair dinkum about us giving him a chance, he would have shown the gratitude and signed up by now.

Reports had us approaching him as early as April to extend but he wouldn’t commit and it’s been a waiting game since.

It would be stupid of us to wait too long, why should we suffer while he extracts as much juice from the lemon as possible.

Another factor to take into account is that our roster is slipping into negative territory in the next few years. We have just lost fui today, Sutton is in doubt and the cap problems are just starting to emerge.

Seibs needs to get on board Fast or head north, time is ticking.

And if he has to go, don’t worry, Richo will look after us.

That’s just not true. Sometimes as a player and coach you have to do what’s best for you. We were the ones who gave Crichton a chance but at the end of the day the roosters offered him more money than we thought he was worth. It shouldn’t be the same case as Seibold because we don’t have a salary cap in that regards last time I checked.

The biggest problem with going off “reports” is the fact that we don’t know the context of the report. Did we formally approach him with a fair contract? Or did we just talk to him about extending? I’m sorry but Seibold would be one dumb human being if he just committed to Souths without looking at any papers.

Souths never announce their extensions early in the off season we always wait to boost the membership drive.

It would be “stupid” of us to dump Seibold when we improved so much over 1 season, because he wasn’t signing on straight away. I am definitely not hopping on the McGregor train. f**k that.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think what Souths supporters have to ask themselves before they join in on this thread is:

Who else would you have as coach instead of Seibold?

I can’t think of one other off contract coach I’d have. This club needs stability, especially now and sacking Seibold is not what we need. Sacking Seibold isn’t gonna help our salary cap situation either.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think what Souths supporters have to ask themselves before they join in on this thread is:

I can’t think of one other off contract coach I’d have. This club needs stability, especially now and sacking Seibold is not what we need. Sacking Seibold isn’t gonna help our salary cap situation either.
The thing is if Seibs decides he’s leaving but would like to coach for 2019woukd the players play for him knowing he’s going. I’d be pissed personally....

ThingFish

Juniors

100%. Sacking Seibs is the most ludicrous thing, especially when there is nothing but media speculation to even suggest he’s leaving.

Pilot house

Juniors
As for coaches:

Desmond, Tooves, Hook, Henry, Mary. Any of these guys would committ and bring along a new side.

callmack1

Staff member
Why all the hate in regards to Seibs all of a sudden? He's a friggin outstanding coach, you just have to have a look at this season to prove that and until he announces that he's leaving (which I hope and pray doesn't happen), he has my full backing.

Yes, Seibs did a few things wrong this year which may have contributed to our heartbreaking exit but he's a rookie coach and this will all be a huge learning experience for him I'm sure. In my opinion, our Premiership window includes Seibs and he is certainly capable of taking us that one step further.

I also think he's doing nothing wrong in terms of the contract situation. I think almost everyone would put it off until the off season so that they could focus on footy and they'd also take their time with it in order to get the best posible deal. While it would break my heart, I wouldn't blame him for going to Brisbane but I think that for now at least, Seibs truely does love this club.

Pilot house

Juniors
Why all the hate in regards to Seibs all of a sudden? He's a friggin outstanding coach, you just have to have a look at this season to prove that and until he announces that he's leaving (which I hope and pray doesn't happen), he has my full backing.

Yes, Seibs did a few things wrong this year which may have contributed to our heartbreaking exit but he's a rookie coach and this will all be a huge learning experience for him I'm sure. In my opinion, our Premiership window includes Seibs and he is certainly capable of taking us that one step further.

I also think he's doing nothing wrong in terms of the contract situation. I think almost everyone would put it off until the off season so that they could focus on footy and they'd also take their time with it in order to get the best posible deal. While it would break my heart, I wouldn't blame him for going to Brisbane but I think that for now at least, Seibs truely does love this club.

Callmack with respect, you are presenting us with some contradictions.

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
Callmack with respect, you are presenting us with some contradictions.

But firstly, I don’t think anyone hates seibs or could be seriously unhappy with his performance this year.

The point at issue is that at the moment it’s Seibs v Us in contract negotiations.

Keeping his options open with Brisbane only serves to support his own interests instead our ours. It doesn’t help us in any shape, way or form.

There are offers in front of him from us that he just hasn’t signed so he doesn’t love us that much.

Rugby League clubs need to plan 2 years or more as we have all kinds of contracts with players to manage, we need to recruit and release. Back and front ended options. We need to engage support staff and do so many things. There’s conservatively about $25m of decisions to make per year.

A vast proportion of this decision making is tied to the requirements of the coach and his planning to field a good squad and direct how they should play, prep, rehab and of course the mental approaches of players.

Seibs is holding out and every day he holds out is a day lost for us in the planning and engagement for future success.

It’s polite and reasonable to allow some time, but right at the moment, in context, it’s us (Souths) v seibs so long as this nightmare drags on. And make no mistake, he knows he’s having a lend of us.

I would love to sign him for 3 or 4 years, he’s one of the best coaches in the nrl, if not, the best but the club comes first.

We will not be held to ransom. We need to start getting rough and tumble with the negotiations.

We are not here on earth for seibs to toy with.

We are just lucky to have Shane Richardson with us. He’s expensive but he good. If he lets Seibs go, bro Callmack, we need to back him and Rusty 110.

Just my opinion and I mean nothing unkind to seibs or his circle etc.

We like him sure, but Souths should be our only mistress.

If he wants to get very ugly over money, if he’s been spitting on our back and telling us it’s raining we should release him immediately.

Seibs>>> Brisbane
Bennett>>>>tigers
Cleary >>>Pantheria
Souths well not cicada, Hasler I hope
Well, Hasler back to Manly about to be announced in coming weeks according to League Live. Thank God. He’s another has been coach, in an ever building list of has been coaches you’ve been calling for to replace Siebs.

If we seriously need to look for a replacement for Seibs in 2020 then we should be keeping an eye on what Steve Price has been doing with an average Warrington side. He’s got them to a Challenge Cup final and to tomorrow mornings GF, and a chance to win their first premiership since 1955. He’s been serving a good apprenticeship over there and earning some strips. God knows there’s not much talent free in the NRL at the moment.

Pilot house

Juniors
Well, Hasler back to Manly about to be announced in coming weeks according to League Live. Thank God. He’s another has been coach, in an ever building list of has been coaches you’ve been calling for to replace Siebs.

If we seriously need to look for a replacement for Seibs in 2020 then we should be keeping an eye on what Steve Price has been doing with an average Warrington side. He’s got them to a Challenge Cup final and to tomorrow mornings GF, and a chance to win their first premiership since 1955. He’s been serving a good apprenticeship over there and earning some strips. God knows there’s not much talent free in the NRL at the moment.

There’s no problem having a larger pool of talent to shortlist but given our anticipated decline, perhaps your price should be added.

The thinking about the future is right though.

It was noted here before, player morale can’t reach optimum if the coach is undecided. He’s a leader by default.

A lot of the players have given up quite a bit to choose Souths, especially pre-2014 signings and may have more social impact in the sacred circle of players than seibs would.

If he’s seen as fly in/ fly out, he won’t have their full attention in comparison to a commitment.

You gotta problem with me fish, you go ahead and get it out of your system.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Apparently Seibold is being interviewed by Broncos.....according to NRL.com

BRONCOS

Lockyer to sit on panel to decide next Broncos coach

Brisbane legend Darren Lockyer will sit on a three-man selection panel which will decide the next Broncos head coach, with candidates set to be interviewed in the next fortnight.

Broncos director Lockyer, chairman Karl Morris and CEO Paul White make up the panel that will interview the candidates, which NRL.com understands will at least include New Zealand coach Michael Maguire, Broncos assistant Jason Demetriou, South Sydney mentor Anthony Seibold and Maroons coach Kevin Walters.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/12...-panel-to-decide-next-brisbane-broncos-coach/

Pilot house

Juniors
Apparently Seibold is being interviewed by Broncos.....according to NRL.com

BRONCOS

Lockyer to sit on panel to decide next Broncos coach

Brisbane legend Darren Lockyer will sit on a three-man selection panel which will decide the next Broncos head coach, with candidates set to be interviewed in the next fortnight.

Broncos director Lockyer, chairman Karl Morris and CEO Paul White make up the panel that will interview the candidates, which NRL.com understands will at least include New Zealand coach Michael Maguire, Broncos assistant Jason Demetriou, South Sydney mentor Anthony Seibold and Maroons coach Kevin Walters.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/12...-panel-to-decide-next-brisbane-broncos-coach/

Thank you Mr Spock,

Last edited: