What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign frizell now!!

BLM01

First Grade
Oh dear Getsmarty! I suppose it is good to be able to see the bright side of people however believe me, you will come to wish Millward gone in the same way you now wish Mary gone.

I small example is Frizell. A good retention officer would have him signed up by now. He needs to be made a priority signing for 2021 and beyond. Room must be made to retain him. If JDB wins his legal battle, it might mean letting one of our bench forwards go and promoting a youngster like Ford to the bench.

Frizell is our best forward right now and when he begins to slow up a little, he is a natural to move to the middle. I say give him a four year deal at a fair salary that is very close to what he is asking for.

Most importantly give Mary notice and confidentially let Frizell know that Shephard/Flanagan will be his new coach in 2021.
Oh Possm..you have done it again. Recruitment 101 Possm style and you dont understand recruitmernt on any levels let alone NRL where player managers are involved.
What does Millward have to do with telling anybody who will be coaching the side next year is your blinkers and lack of knowledge coming front and centre..
You have overstepped on here and incited a war on words based on inferring those that do not agree with you are not sensible.
You say we who think Millward is doing OK a job based on his restrictions that
" there are a few on here that want to provide cover for Millward by shifting blame upon Mary"
You are doing the exactly the same but are changing the names around so you are also just as non-sensible as we are supposedly and your comment
"Just because some on here say Millward is doing a good job, doesn't necessarily mean he is"
Again switch it around....it does not mean he is not doing a good job either.

Before I finish I and most would agree with you on one or even 2 points.
1. We dont like the way Millward was appointed as the Dragons & Doust loved shuffling deck chairs...jobs for the boys etc...so no need to labour on that point anymore.
2. Our recruitment / retention is way below most teams and there are undelying reasons for that discussed ad-nauseum that are not all Millward's Mess or fault..

But if you let go especially of Point 1 as cant change that... you would see things clearer and that all we are saying is Millward has only been in the job now 4 years and has made marked improvements to our squad in a short space of time to what he was left with.
It certainly is far from being right but and YES he probably has made errors of judgement and that is part of the problem but in combination with others and we are still suffering from Mary being coach, owner & board decisions and his recruitment predecessors but we are heading in part in regards to a real good squad the right direction IMO only. So he gets just a pass mark from me
It cant be fixed for 2020 but i firmly believe 2021 will see large changes.
But if we are still insensible in your thoughts then there is no point us or you bringing it up again.

getsmarty

Immortal
Oh dear Getsmarty! I suppose it is good to be able to see the bright side of people however believe me, you will come to wish Millward gone in the same way you now wish Mary gone.

I small example is Frizell. A good retention officer would have him signed up by now. He needs to be made a priority signing for 2021 and beyond. Room must be made to retain him. If JDB wins his legal battle, it might mean letting one of our bench forwards go and promoting a youngster like Ford to the bench.

Frizell is our best forward right now and when he begins to slow up a little, he is a natural to move to the middle. I say give him a four year deal at a fair salary that is very close to what he is asking for.

Most importantly give Mary notice and confidentially let Frizell know that Shephard/Flanagan will be his new coach in 2021.

Oh Dear Possm....Again making up the scenarios as you go along....the frizell scenario is more complicated than you make out...I won't go into details as others have already alluded to this.

As I have stated many times, Millward is the least of our problems...( and that's straight from the mouths of people who would know ) I am not fussed one way or the other about millward...just know that his job is more difficult because of certain people he needs to work with.
The Issues are....

!/. The Board
2/. McGregor ( see point 1 )

All the rest will fall into place after this is taken care of. Unfortunately, cannot see the culture or the board changing...we had that opportunity when the Win situation arose....So option 2 is the only likely change in the near future that may see some light @ the end of the tunnel dependent on who replaces him.....hopefully someone like flanno....If the board appoint another Old Boy( with little to no 1st grade experience ) then that's it for me....Had enough.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of points here.
1. Friz is contracted for 2020 and not even back at training yet. There are a few things niggling him, the coaching situation is one. He's not in any hurry to make a decision and neither should he be. You cant hold a gun to his head to re-sign and to infer a 'good' recruitement manager would have signed him up already is whimsical at the very least. He's his own man we dint hold him on a leash. The last I heard is that, with clarification on a few things, he is keen to sign on again. Its probably his last contract so he's looking for stability more than dollars (although $$$ is important of course).
2. No one is 'defending' Millward at all. What people are referring to mostly centres around what he has to work with. This refers to what was the cap situation when he took over and how the 1st grade side performs. Once the Dragons were a magnet for quality players, nowadays it more of a retirement package.
3. We have managed to secure most of our up and coming juniors as well as poach a few from other clubs. This pount is always conveniently ignored. Considering point 2 above, this wasnt easy. To say they were an 'easy' signings or re-signings is ludicrous. Big money clubs were after a few of them.
4. The JDB situation, thankfully, will be resolved before season starts, this will have an impact on many aspects of our 2020 season.
5. Just back to point 2. A couple of very promising players were really keen to sign with us, but were put off by the 'standard of play' and the 'roadblocks' put in place in 1st grade.
6. As far as I'm aware, thus is the 3rd year straight our "head' coach has been scrutinised as being 'under pressure' to keep his job. Yet he survives, even with poor results and breaking all the wrong records. I doubt this time he will. And wether its Flanno or another, they will bring much needed resuscitation to our team.
7. The new CEO, whoever that maybe, hopefully has balls enough to make the hard decisions, especially referring to point 6 and that a favourite son is not shoehorned into the top role.

These are just some points, I could go on ad nauseam, but I think you all get my drift.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Do not get me wrong - I do not want Tyson to leave but if he thinks that he can win a premiership with another NRL side and the money is right - I would be sorry but happy for him.

He has put up with enough at the Dragons and at the moment - 2020 is not looking like a winner.

By the way - Sack Mac

jak

Bench
A couple of points here.
1. Friz is contracted for 2020 and not even back at training yet. There are a few things niggling him, the coaching situation is one. He's not in any hurry to make a decision and neither should he be. You cant hold a gun to his head to re-sign and to infer a 'good' recruitement manager would have signed him up already is whimsical at the very least. He's his own man we dint hold him on a leash. The last I heard is that, with clarification on a few things, he is keen to sign on again. Its probably his last contract so he's looking for stability more than dollars (although $$$ is important of course).
2. No one is 'defending' Millward at all. What people are referring to mostly centres around what he has to work with. This refers to what was the cap situation when he took over and how the 1st grade side performs. Once the Dragons were a magnet for quality players, nowadays it more of a retirement package.
3. We have managed to secure most of our up and coming juniors as well as poach a few from other clubs. This pount is always conveniently ignored. Considering point 2 above, this wasnt easy. To say they were an 'easy' signings or re-signings is ludicrous. Big money clubs were after a few of them.
4. The JDB situation, thankfully, will be resolved before season starts, this will have an impact on many aspects of our 2020 season.
5. Just back to point 2. A couple of very promising players were really keen to sign with us, but were put off by the 'standard of play' and the 'roadblocks' put in place in 1st grade.
6. As far as I'm aware, thus is the 3rd year straight our "head' coach has been scrutinised as being 'under pressure' to keep his job. Yet he survives, even with poor results and breaking all the wrong records. I doubt this time he will. And wether its Flanno or another, they will bring much needed resuscitation to our team.
7. The new CEO, whoever that maybe, hopefully has balls enough to make the hard decisions, especially referring to point 6 and that a favourite son is not shoehorned into the top role.

These are just some points, I could go on ad nauseam, but I think you all get my drift.
great post mate could not agree more

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
My understanding was that a lot depends on the outcome in Feb

Re Tyson staying or going

Has anyone been hearing the same rumours for some time now ?

possm

Coach
Oh Possm..you have done it again. Recruitment 101 Possm style and you dont understand recruitmernt on any levels let alone NRL where player managers are involved.
What does Millward have to do with telling anybody who will be coaching the side next year is your blinkers and lack of knowledge coming front and centre..
You have overstepped on here and incited a war on words based on inferring those that do not agree with you are not sensible.
You say we who think Millward is doing OK a job based on his restrictions that
" there are a few on here that want to provide cover for Millward by shifting blame upon Mary"
You are doing the exactly the same but are changing the names around so you are also just as non-sensible as we are supposedly and your comment
"Just because some on here say Millward is doing a good job, doesn't necessarily mean he is"
Again switch it around....it does not mean he is not doing a good job either.

Before I finish I and most would agree with you on one or even 2 points.
1. We dont like the way Millward was appointed as the Dragons & Doust loved shuffling deck chairs...jobs for the boys etc...so no need to labour on that point anymore.
2. Our recruitment / retention is way below most teams and there are undelying reasons for that discussed ad-nauseum that are not all Millward's Mess or fault..

But if you let go especially of Point 1 as cant change that... you would see things clearer and that all we are saying is Millward has only been in the job now 4 years and has made marked improvements to our squad in a short space of time to what he was left with.
It certainly is far from being right but and YES he probably has made errors of judgement and that is part of the problem but in combination with others and we are still suffering from Mary being coach, owner & board decisions and his recruitment predecessors but we are heading in part in regards to a real good squad the right direction IMO only. So he gets just a pass mark from me
It cant be fixed for 2020 but i firmly believe 2021 will see large changes.
But if we are still insensible in your thoughts then there is no point us or you bringing it up again.
I'm feeling like the lonely boy!

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm feeling like the lonely boy!

Stop eating so many bluudy plums and have a chew on the occasional eucalyptus tree possum and your thinking will be the same as the rest of us - sack Mary , I mean Millward , urrh I am all confused now , sack both of the beggars ! :chipmunk:

BLM01

First Grade
My understanding was that a lot depends on the outcome in Feb

Re Tyson staying or going

Has anyone been hearing the same rumours for some time now ?
No I dont believe that to be true and if their apparent relationship is fractioned you got to wonder why he has been seen publicly with JDB and others
...think about it why would he hinge staying or going based on 1 player over the club..that is social media rumour mill and speculation.
There are players at all clubs that dont like one another on a personal or social front.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Blm

The rumours are there are several players at the dragons that don't like associating with or training with mr Feburary due to what he has been accused of and what he has been charged with

most humans don't condone what he has been charged with

I suspect a lot of the players partners have questioned "What does the club stand for?" And what do u stand for

Is this club a values based club or not?

If these rumours of good values and good people setting stronger standards at the club are true I can see the rift between some of the players being true

I'm sure it was much more distablising then reported

I personally would side with the players that want to set higher standards and subscribe to player values that should reach alot higher

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Blm

The rumours are there are several players at the dragons that don't like associating with or training with mr Feburary due to what he has been accused of and what he has been charged with

I suspect a lot of the players partners have questioned "What does the club stand for?" And what do u stand for

If these rumours of good values and good people setting stronger standards at the club are true I can see the rift between some of the players being true

I personally would side with the players that want to set higher standards and subscribe to player values that should reach alot higher

The fact they were willing, to a man, to boycott the game in Mudgee sort of throws cold water on those rumours.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The fact they were willing, to a man, to boycott the game in Mudgee sort of throws cold water on those rumours.

Where does it say all players?

DL do u honestly believe there would not be friction between players, their partners, the club etc surrounding this charge? Or should I say multiple charges

If this happened in ur street

Ur neighbour did what has been charged

U would be happy to just keep chatting and keep having bbq?

Let's get real

The rumours of disgruntled players holds way my water then s bunch of idiots sweeping it under the carpet

BLM01

First Grade
Blm

Point 1...Rumours..exactly..not fact. That I do know
Point 2...Of course YES...if he is proven guilty
Point 3 & 4.. Club cant do anything except...tell him to sit at home, stay away from the joint and not train with the players but we will still pay you.
Problem is with that hard line you want them to take opens them up for not standing by him ensuring his mental state is OK etc and possible countersuing by JDB if found innocent. The club is obligated in todays world to look after his welfare too the best way it sees fit for the club and him and the policy must be innocent until proven otherwise. Difficult position for the club...they will be slandered whichever stance they took with him. If they decided to let him train with the boys then who we to judge that was wrong by all.
Besides all the other clubs in the past have allowed their players to hang around prior to their own court cases..Dylan Walker & Co. Why should Dragons be held to ransom by us, media and players for doing the same thing regardless of the severity of the charge.
Point 5. Naturally some players and supporters are peeved with how he got himself into this mess anyway but that outrage subsides in time for those not involved (probably after a few days/weeks) until the court outcome.
Point 6. Disagree. It was a convenient excuse for their poor form of 2019 and an easy out for the club.

If he is found innocent in a months time what will all the knive throwers say then.
I am holding onto my knife until the outcome.

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Absolutely blm
They are all fair comments

Yet it was only rumours that ALL players wanted to abort the game and only rumours that there has been SOME very disgruntled players

Equally both sides of the argument are valid - a 50kg fenale 19yr old who is in an apartment with two footballers and has had police reports leaked of significant bruising / sexual assault and also the story of two guys in the apartment that have said they are innocent of the charges

My comments still stand

If your neighbour has these charges and u are privy like we are to the info released / leaked so far ..... . is he coming to your bbq on Australia day this month or will u wait until mid Feb to make your decision?

These are the questions that the dragons players are have had to make decisions on for almost 12 months, week in week out.....socially and at the club training........not easy at all when in a team seeing each other 5 to 6 days per week and someone is committed to stand trial for five charges of aggravated sexual assault. Very dividing.

Not easy when we know that only 1/10 cases such as above have formal charges laid due lack of evidence in the main to proceed

Not easy when their partners of players question where do they stand ? Ie would they put themself in the same situation while their partner is pregnant ?

Not easy when every week the players assess themselves on whether they are meeting the club standards and you question your commitment and your team mates commitment to the club values and standards

Sounds like he is coming to ur bbq on australia day this month but not mine. I don't have any steak knives left.......

I'm fairly confident the rumours of disgruntled players holds up _ it would be un natural otherwise and maybe a genuine reason for some contract delays