What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

TruSaint

Referee
NRL: Dragons' Zac Lomax to make call on playing future
By AAP
2 hours ago
FShareTTweetBEmail
They've already promised him first crack at the crucial fullback spot next year, but St George Illawarra might soon find out if Zac Lomax is the long-term answer.

Having entered the final year of his Dragons contract, Lomax is weighing up his NRL future after meeting a number of rival clubs in recent weeks.

The 20-year-old is believed to have already toured Newcastle's facilities and has also been linked heavily with a possible move to Canberra.

But the Wests Tigers have emerged as a genuine suitor, with the merger-club having the added carrot of being able to offer Lomax the No.1 jumper.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F5ebc29c0-144a-4e11-a2ab-987a8e285087

Zac Lomax (Getty)

It is understood Lomax might make a decision as soon as next week.

"We have spoken to some other clubs and it's been good to understand how other clubs roll, (see) some of the facilities," Lomax told AAP.

"But I'm letting my manager do his work. There's a process in place.

"At the moment, I'm worrying about my teammates right now and being the best teammate I can and competing the best that I can at every training session."

In a sign of how desperate the Dragons are to keep Lomax, coach Paul McGregor has guaranteed the promising talent first shot at fullback in 2020.

It is a position the Temora product has wanted since making his debut two years ago in the centres, where he has played most of his 17 games so far.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb7186349-6c5a-4b75-a4f3-f2c5f10b10a3

Zac Lomax (Getty)
"It's good that (McGregor has) got confidence in me. Hopefully, the playing group's got confidence in me as well," Lomax said.

"I'll make sure that I try and get that from them by just showing them that I can work hard and put in the effort on the training paddock so I get that respect."

Lomax has set himself the task of emulating the breakout seasons of fellow youngsters Ryan Papenhuyzen and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

Lomax was Papenhuyzen's teammate in the Junior Kangaroos' win over France.

"What Paps does really well is that he works off the ball, probably more than a lot of fullbacks in the game. His workrate's through the roof," Lomax said.

"I think if you can bring a good workrate to the team and you bring effort and you compete on each play, I think that can go a long way as a fullback.

"You look at someone like Nicoll-Klokstad, he's fresh to the NRL but you look at what he brought to his team week in, week out. He competed on everything.

"And he was probably one of the game's best this year. You look at someone like that, and it's something I'm trying to bring to my game, competing consistently."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...all-soon/82795b25-8815-425f-ab13-322a766f2ab4

boardlumps62

Juniors
Have read in the media that he was prepared to stay at Saints and sign a three year contract. Apparently only a one year extension was offered and when Luc asked them to reconsider their stance the Club started offering him around. All of a sudden Luc wanted to leave. I sort of understand why he ended up “happy “ to leave .
Maybe the right thing to do if your a gifted coach but don't know if we have one of them. Bloody lunatics in the asylum too.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
A great summary getsmarty. Well done. We are a disgrace at the moment. I don't think the club has been in a more demoralised state. I don't get it, I just don't get it. A coach with little success despite having a side half full of Origin stars is left in charge following numerous Club reviews, the last one by the once respected league guru, Phil Gould. The review throws 8 assistant coaches and support staff under the bus but McGregor survives. Our CEO resigns, at least he accepted his accountability, but McGregor survives. Luc is given away, Aitken is kept. Juniors such as Masters are let go, Aitken stays.But don't worry we bought Luke. And I don't buy the Illawarra conspiracy theory. Doust and Johnston were St George men while 'Saint George' still have the majority on the Board. But McGregor still stays. I don't get it. What power Mary has. Some say 2020 needs to be another year of disappointment so that Mary can finally be sacked. We need to be careful of what we wish for because our club is going down a perilous path.
The billionaire has the power......fester froghead is best friends with his son :frog:

possm

Coach
Are there any clubs lining up to speak to Aitken who is off contract at the end of next season and if so, who are those clubs? I don't believe that any clubs are keen to sign Aitken.
If Aitken and Lafai were a little smarter, they would ask for a release to play ESL. My opinion is that the value of both players will plummet by the end of 2020.

possm

Coach
A great summary getsmarty. Well done. We are a disgrace at the moment. I don't think the club has been in a more demoralised state. I don't get it, I just don't get it. A coach with little success despite having a side half full of Origin stars is left in charge following numerous Club reviews, the last one by the once respected league guru, Phil Gould. The review throws 8 assistant coaches and support staff under the bus but McGregor survives. Our CEO resigns, at least he accepted his accountability, but McGregor survives. Luc is given away, Aitken is kept. Juniors such as Masters are let go, Aitken stays.But don't worry we bought Luke. And I don't buy the Illawarra conspiracy theory. Doust and Johnston were St George men while 'Saint George' still have the majority on the Board. But McGregor still stays. I don't get it. What power Mary has. Some say 2020 needs to be another year of disappointment so that Mary can finally be sacked. We need to be careful of what we wish for because our club is going down a perilous path.
To buy the Illawarra conspiracy theory you would need accept the backroom deals made by the old boys club theory.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Millward is brilliant in instigating the Club's "Over the Hill" recruitment policy. The only three external players contracted for 2020 are all in the passed their used by date category being Luke, Merrin and Williame to add to the existing golden oldie Graham. As Possm would say another Millward mess!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Another observation is that Millward can only recruit Golden Oldies/Journeymen and Development Players. Who has he recruited for NRL who is not past their peak? He said a couple of years ago that Marsters should be our NRL fullback but obviously Mc Gregor preferred Dufty. I do not believe that either was the solution. I believe that Lomax, Ramsay or SchIller will fill the bill. We have some exciting backs emerging.

possm

Coach
Another observation is that Millward can only recruit Golden Oldies/Journeymen and Development Players. Who has he recruited for NRL who is not past their peak? He said a couple of years ago that Marsters should be our NRL fullback but obviously Mc Gregor preferred Dufty. I do not believe that either was the solution. I believe that Lomax, Ramsay or SchIller will fill the bill. We have some exciting backs emerging.
Lomax to be given first crack at fullback this season. Over the next couple of years he may be put under pressure by Ramsay or Schiller, and that is a good thing. However, I'm sure that both Ramsay and Schiller would be able to occupy any of the outside back position if required. The good news is that if either perform to such a high standard that they displace Lomax at fullback, Lomax could easily be moved to the right centre position.

I only hope that we are rid of the likes of Mary and Millward in 2020 or sooner. We need professional coaching staff that attract good players and a recruitment staff that are capable of planning into the future, presenting a good sales pitch, sealing a difficult deal and identifying players that add to the success of the playing squad.

Our 2020 assistants Flanagan and coaches have been their and done that. They are a huge step up when it comes to our coaching. Dean Young needs to do a Hornby and broaden his experience. Matt Head proved last season that he is a very capable CC coach.

I believe when it comes to our pathways/recruitment/retention staff we need to revert to the conventional system of having such staff report to the head coach. Only in this way will the head coach be completely accountable for the performance of his squad and the performance of his pathways/recruitment/retention staff.

BLM01

First Grade
Ill answer that. Past their peak..let me see. Here it goes. I will stick to just who we poached from other clubs
Hunt, Norman, Vaughan, McInnes, Ravalawa, Tariq, Nene....
Thats not too bad.
But I am hearing you.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Ill answer that. Past their peak..let me see. Here it goes. I will stick to just who we poached from other clubs
Hunt, Norman, Vaughan, McInnes, Ravalawa, Tariq, Nene....
Thats not too bad.
Hunt - was easy we paid overs
Vaughan - was easy he was playing reserve grade and wanted to play firsts
McInnes - well we signed him over Cook who is now the NSW hooker and a local junior
Ravalawa - the jury is still out, he came to us from reserve grade
Tariq Sims - a local junior who returned to SGI. Would be a difficult deal to get done
Nene - a good player who did not live up to expectations and released mid contract

I'd like to see a list of the good players we missed over the past 5 years.

BLM01

First Grade
Hunt - was easy we paid overs
Vaughan - was easy he was playing reserve grade and wanted to play firsts
McInnes - well we signed him over Cook who is now the NSW hooker and a local junior
Ravalawa - the jury is still out, he came to us from reserve grade
Tariq Sims - a local junior who returned to SGI. Would be a difficult deal to get done
Nene - a good player who did not live up to expectations and released mid contract

I'd like to see a list of the good players we missed over the past 5 years.
Keep going. Who did we miss and why... Ian?
The question was posed we have not signed anyone that is not past their peek and I gave my answers. You again have gone off to other tangent.

But the one we missed this year was Curtis Scott
He wanted to move closer to his family in the Shire and how did we not offer him a contract...OK...we dont have the money but..great pick up Canberra

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, lets assume Williame has signed (unofficial atm).
Thats takes us to 27 (inc JDB). Still 2 spots available to fill before the next deadline, so be prepared for more disappointments. We are still a chance of getting the french fullback lol.
The 30th spot they will hold until june 30.

possm

Coach
Keep going. Who did we miss and why... Ian?
The question was posed we have not signed anyone that is not past their peek and I gave my answers. You again have gone off to other tangent.

But the one we missed this year was Curtis Scott
He wanted to move closer to his family in the Shire and how did we not offer him a contract...OK...we dont have the money but..great pick up Canberra

There have been many good player that we have missed over the past few years. That is the other side of the story and one that another member on this forum may be able to list.

How do we get a low level back 5 and at the same time have no salary cap to improve the situation? The answer is ……. A MILLWARD MESS.

giboz71

First Grade
17, 18 and 19 was really our window.

McInnes, Nene, Vaughan the Sims brothers, Hunt, Graham and Norman during that period. That's not a bad crop of players.

Yes we were weak in outside backs, but we had Garrick and Herbert (as well as Lomax) who have proven more than capable.

Millward did ok, it's the coach and how he used the squad that was the issue.

True_Believer

Juniors
17, 18 and 19 was really our window.

McInnes, Nene, Vaughan the Sims brothers, Hunt, Graham and Norman during that period. That's not a bad crop of players.

Yes we were weak in outside backs, but we had Garrick and Herbert (as well as Lomax) who have proven more than capable.

Millward did ok, it's the coach and how he used the squad that was the issue.

Not to mention he's done reasonably well to keep a lot of the juniors coming through the ranks. It's when they get to step up to NRL is where it all falls down. And we know what the problem is there.

giboz71

First Grade
Not to mention he's done reasonably well to keep a lot of the juniors coming through the ranks. It's when they get to step up to NRL is where it all falls down. And we know what the problem is there.

Yep correct. Millward solved our halfback problem and did most of the work to give us an Origin calibre forward pack.

Our weakness was wing and centre, but we had Garrick, Herbert, Marsters and Lomax in our books. But our useless coaching staff weren't able to bring any of them through.

It took Garrick and Herbert to piss off to finally get anywhere and both did quite well, especially Garrick.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I liked Garrick but in his last year with us he was pretty woeful and did not even stand out in Canterbury Cup. He looked slow and had no punch in defence and as a centre just wanted to set up others. He was probably injured as he was only half the player he was in Under 20's. He is now back to how he used to be.