What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings/Losses

Shorty

Staff member
Gained:
Neil Henry(Raiders) Coach - 2013

Willie Tonga(Bulldogs) - 2012
George Gatis(Huddersfield)
Manase Manuokafoa(Souths) - 2011
Luke Millwood(Newtown) -
Clint Amos(Titans) - 2010
Antonio Kaufusi(Storm) - 2011
Steve Rapira(Warriors) - 2010
Donald Malone(Ipswich Jets) - 2010
Mitchell Achurch(Tigers) - 2011
James Tamou (Roosters) – 2010
Troyden Watene (Broncos) - 2010
Jared Kahu (Broncos) - 2010

Resigned:

Luke O'Donnell
Ben Harris
Carl Webb
Travis Burns
Dayne Weston
Anthony Watts
Ray Cashmere
Matthew Bartlet
Scott Bolton
Aaron Payne
Jackson Nicolau
Matthew Scott
Shane Tronc
Jonathan Thurston

Lost:
David Faiumu(Huddersfield)
Jacob Lillyman(Warriors)
Sione Famuina(Castleford).
Mark Henry(Salford).
Ryan Carr(Tigers)

Off Contract
Ben Farrar
Sam Faust
John Firth
Ashley Graham
Justin Smith
Ben Vaeau
Ty Williams

Feel free to add any extra's and recent new signings,losses or gains.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
Yep that's confirmed,played his last game for Newtown so I'd say he'll be on his way.

dogz08

First Grade
willie tonga hasnt been playing that well since 2004 when we won the premiership interesting to see how he go's next year

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Off Contract
Ben Farrar Keep
Sione Famuina Let go
Sam Faust ???
John Firth ???
Ashley Graham Keep
Mark Henry Keep
Justin Smith ??? Dont know how to feel here
Ben Vaeau Keep
Ty Williams Bye

Shorty

Staff member
Justin Smith can f**k off.
All he does is give away penalties and isn't that consistent.

You'd get rid of Sione?? I think he just needs discipline which if BJ comes,he will get in spades.

Keep Sam Faust,John Firth...hmm.

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Justin Smith can f**k off.
All he does is give away penalties and isn't that consistent.

You'd get rid of Sione?? I think he just needs discipline which if BJ comes,he will get in spades.

Keep Sam Faust,John Firth...hmm.

Just on the service Justin has given us how easily you forget last year he was hitting holes like no other, he was a stand out player in out sad sad 06 season and if it wasn't for the signings on JT and Webb he would of attracted a lot of media attention. I say give him next year to prove his worth.

Shorty

Staff member
Well I don't want a club full of players with hasbeen records and the consistency of Webb.
We have a utility that is far superior to Smith in Watts.

Talanexor

Juniors
We'd better keep Ash Graham. Farrar has struggled this season, but I think he's worth keeping because of his potential.

The trouble is where to put these guys. Ash is a better centre and I reckon Farrar is too. But with Tonga and Harris in the side we have too many centres!

And I'm with Shorty on Justin Smith. That guy is a waste of air. Put him at 5/8th and he offers nothing - all the opposition need to do is shut down Thurston and we have no attack. He can't kick, he can't pass, he can only catch easy short balls and he's a penalty magnet.

He's better in the back row. But with the likes of O'Donnell, Southern, Bartlett, Bolton, Vaeu, we have plenty of better backrowers already.

Shorty

Staff member
Manase Manuokafoa has been signed with Cows for 3 years.
Good news.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23962639-23214,00.html

Cowboys sign Manuokafoa

July 03, 2008 CELLAR dwellers North Queensland received some welcome good news after South Sydney forward Manase Manuokafoa signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys from 2009.
The signing of Manuokafoa, 23, will pave the way for Cowboys prop Ray Cashmere's departure.

He was told last week that he would be allowed to explore his options, most likely in the English Super League.

The Cowboys told Cashmere he would only be released if they could find a replacement of similar quality.

The 190cm, 115kg Manuokafoa is certainly that.

“Manase is a young, gifted player, who will add both size and quality to our forward pack,” Cowboys boss Peter Parr said.

“It is great news that this talented forward has decided to play for the Cowboys.”

The Cowboys pack will receive a facelift next year with former Origin backrower Jacob Lillyman leaving for the New Zealand Warriors and Kiwi international David Faiumu being granted a release.

Justin Smith, Ben Vaeau and Sione Faumuina are also believed to be in their final season at North Queensland.

AAP

Justin Smith, Ben Vaeau and Sione Faumuina are also believed to be in their final season at North Queensland.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
Reports are speculating the Cowboys are keen to sign Reni Matua and Sika Manu.

Shorty

Staff member
Billy Johnstone back in saddle up north

Steve Ricketts
July 09, 2008 12:00am

FITNESS guru Billy Johnstone has rejected offers from English Premier League soccer clubs and will return to North Queensland next season to whip the under-achieving Cowboys back into shape.

Johnstone's return to Townsville is expected to be confirmed today by the Cowboys and his current club the Gold Coast Titans.

The former Gold Coast, Canterbury, St George and Brisbane Souths hooker was on board when the Cowboys reached the 2005 NRL grand final and was regarded as "the Titans best buy" when the club was formed in 2006.

Johnstone will leave with the Titans' with best wishes and thanks although that is not to say he has not stood on a few toes along the way.

Johnstone's style is uncompromising. It is his way or the highway and the Cowboys obviously feel he can help divert them from the road to nowhere which is where the club is headed this year after being touted as premiership hopes.

Johnstone would have liked nothing more than to work with Europe's soccer elite but the thought of living in England made him reject the offers.

He has toured Britain three times as performance chief for the Kangaroos and two months in the "Old Dart" was long enough.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-10389,00.html

Woohoo!
I'll add that to the list when confirmed.

Champ

Juniors
Who are these guys playing for next year??

Cowboys

Daniel Backo
Ben Farrar
Sione Faumuina
Sam Faust
John Frith
Ashley Graham
Mark Henry
Keiron Lander
Justin Smith
Ben Vaeau
Ty Williams

Shorty

Staff member
Sione,Vaeau and Smith have been told they're not needed next year so I expect Sione to be in the ESL again as well as Smith(or retire).
Vaeau - Not known.

Ashley Graham is rumoured to be signing with Melbourne.
I thought I read somewhere that Mark Henry was resigning with the Cowboys along with Faust.

Farrar has been rumoured to Bulldogs.
Ty Williams I expect will be let go of,where he'll go I'm unsure but it probably won't be first grade.
Others I can't help you with,apologies.

All rumours at this stage though.

Shorty

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

MELBOURNE Storm prop Antonio Kaufusi will join North Queensland on a three-year deal from next season.
Kaufusi, 23, was told earlier this year that he was free to sign with other clubs, despite having another year left on his contract.

Parramatta and Penrith had also been in the mix before Kaufusi made the decision to sign with the Cowboys.

He has played one State-of-Origin game for Queensland and one Test match for Australia.

The 114kg giant told his Storm teammates of his decision on Monday night.

His departure to North Queensland will significantly bolster the Cowboys' misfiring forward pack in 2009.

The Cowboys are last and headed for the dreaded wooden spoon.

davidn

Juniors
I have heard that Broncos u20's Troyden Watene and Jared Kahu have signed with Cowboys.

Phillips

Referee
Ty Williams I expect will be let go of,where he'll go I'm unsure but it probably won't be first grade.

apart from Matty Bowen.

Ty Williams is the best outside back at your club.. just a pity he has had injury problems.