What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings/Losses

Charlie124

First Grade
8. Kaufusi
9. Payne
10. Scott
11. Southern
12. Bolton
13. O'Donnell

14. Watts
15. Rapira
16. Tamou
17. Webb

Talanexor

Juniors
8. Kaufusi
9. Payne
10. Scott
11. Southern
12. Bolton
13. O'Donnell

14. Watts
15. Rapira
16. Tamou
17. Webb

I thought the plan was to get rid of Webb soon - in which case his spot will probably be taken by Makuokafoa or Harris. Do we have enough depth in the forwards then?

I know we still have Weston, but who else is still around in terms of forwards?

Charlie124

First Grade
Any news on the re-signing of Matt Scott yet? from what ive heard there are a couple of clubs chasing him, Ill be furious if we lose him now that he's hit his straps.

elyod138

Bench
Any news on the re-signing of Matt Scott yet? from what ive heard there are a couple of clubs chasing him, Ill be furious if we lose him now that he's hit his straps.

They stopped negotiating with him when he was picked for origin, they'll resume after the game.

Nevcost

Juniors
Gained:
Neil Henry(Raiders) Coach - 2013

Willie Tonga(Bulldogs) - 2012
George Gatis(Huddersfield)
Manase Manuokafoa(Souths) - 2011
Luke Millwood(Newtown) -
Clint Amos(Titans) - 2010
Antonio Kaufusi(Storm) - 2011
Steve Rapira(Warriors) - 2010
Donald Malone(Ipswich Jets) - 2010
Mitchell Achurch(Tigers) - 2011
James Tamou (Roosters) – 2010
Troyden Watene (Broncos) - 2010
Jared Kahu (Broncos) - 2010

Resigned:

Luke O'Donnell
Ben Harris
Carl Webb
Travis Burns
Dayne Weston
Anthony Watts
Ray Cashmere
Matthew Bartlet
Scott Bolton
Aaron Payne
Jackson Nicolau
Matthew Scott
Shane Tronc
Jonathan Thurston

Lost:
David Faiumu(Huddersfield)
Jacob Lillyman(Warriors)
Sione Famuina(Castleford).
Mark Henry(Salford).
Ryan Carr(Tigers)

Off Contract
Ben Farrar
Sam Faust
John Firth
Ashley Graham
Justin Smith
Ben Vaeau
Ty Williams

Feel free to add any extra's and recent new signings,losses or gains.

Can you find a source on the net that says Matt Scott resigned with the cowboys, I can't seem to find anything that says he has.

Dazzat

First Grade
You have front rowers coming out of your ears ... I'm hoping the Broncos sign Matt Scott. He's the only descent Australian prop on the open market.

StinkyPete

Juniors
just a update for this thread
we resigned matt scott for 4 years.
Anthony Watts for 1 more year.
Those 2 Ah Mau boys for a couple years
and Carl Webb is rumoured to be being released from his contract with us and signing a 300K a year contract with warriors.

wally80

Juniors
just a update for this thread
we resigned matt scott for 4 years.
Anthony Watts for 1 more year.
Those 2 Ah Mau boys for a couple years
and Carl Webb is rumoured to be being released from his contract with us and signing a 300K a year contract with warriors.

Another one off to the NQ Warriors???

Talanexor

Juniors
How long did Farrar sign with Manly for? Can we get him back next season?

The way things are going with our backline at the moment, I'd give him any position he liked 1-5.

Big Pete

Referee
I read on Sportal Will Tupou from the Brisbane Broncos Under 20's has signed for 2010.

He's a big backrow/centre with great acceleration and the ability to put on massive hits.

Talanexor

Juniors
O'Donnell and Thurston top Cowboys targets
JOSH ALSTON
November 17th, 2009
GETTING the signatures of Cowboys stars Johnathan Thurston and Luke O'Donnell for beyond 2010 will begin in earnest this pre-season but a host of other players may have to wait.
The club's intention to do everything it can to keep its skipper in North Queensland colours has been well-reported over recent months with talks to begin formally in early December when Thurston returns from holidays.
New South Wales second-rower O'Donnell is also high on the Cowboys' agenda and executive director Peter Parr said discussions would begin with him as soon as he returned from his break.
But other players off contract will be assessed in the pre-season, trials and opening rounds before any further offers are likely to be tabled.
''(O'Donnell) is one guy we'll be looking to talk to over the off-season, he's in Sydney at the moment with the new baby,'' Parr said.
''When he gets back we'll have a yarn with him and we'll be having a chat with his manager.
''Outside of him and Johnathan, I don't know too many we're going to pursue in the off-season.
''A few of the younger guys have been good such as Steve Rapira and James Tamou and we want to see them back that up with another good pre-season.
''We're in no rush, to be honest, to sign too many too soon.''

A number of players will come off contract at the end of 2010 including Carl Webb, John Williams, Steve Southern, Grant Rovelli, Clint Amos, Donald Malone, Mitchell Achurch, Obe Geia, Brandon Boor, Anthony Watts, Nick Slyney, Isaak Ah Mau and Dane Hogan.
With the club having missed the finals for the past two seasons, Parr said the football department was keen to run its eye over their form in the pre-season and regular season before leaping in with offers.
''There's a few guys we're looking at to improve on last year and I think Neil and the rest of the coaching staff want to assess those players before we move onward too much,'' Parr said.
''We're obviously talking to Neil and the footy department all the time, it's a continuing thing, recruitment and retention.
''Keeping Johnathan and Luke is a given and we'll keep talking to the other players, when we're comfortable about making an offer we'll go about the process.''
Meanwhile former Cowboy Jaiman Lowe has signed to play with feeder team the Northern Pride in the Queensland Cup.
Parr said his signing further strengthened the depth in the club and said he could come into the frame for first grade should injuries strike again in 2010.
''I think he's a proven NRL player, he's played (98) first-grade games,'' he said.
''It's a long season and because of that, the more depth that we have the better.
''There's no doubt getting players like him and Brenton Bowen back to the Northern Pride increases our depth.''

Talanexor

Juniors
JOSH ALSTON
November 17th, 2009
GETTING the signatures of Cowboys stars Johnathan Thurston and Luke O'Donnell for beyond 2010 will begin in earnest this pre-season but a host of other players may have to wait.
The club's intention to do everything it can to keep its skipper in North Queensland colours has been well-reported over recent months with talks to begin formally in early December when Thurston returns from holidays.
New South Wales second-rower O'Donnell is also high on the Cowboys' agenda and executive director Peter Parr said discussions would begin with him as soon as he returned from his break.
But other players off contract will be assessed in the pre-season, trials and opening rounds before any further offers are likely to be tabled.
''(O'Donnell) is one guy we'll be looking to talk to over the off-season, he's in Sydney at the moment with the new baby,'' Parr said.
''When he gets back we'll have a yarn with him and we'll be having a chat with his manager.
''Outside of him and Johnathan, I don't know too many we're going to pursue in the off-season.
''A few of the younger guys have been good such as Steve Rapira and James Tamou and we want to see them back that up with another good pre-season.

A number of players will come off contract at the end of 2010 including Carl Webb, John Williams, Steve Southern, Grant Rovelli, Clint Amos, Donald Malone, Mitchell Achurch, Obe Geia, Brandon Boor, Anthony Watts, Nick Slyney, Isaak Ah Mau and Dane Hogan.
With the club having missed the finals for the past two seasons, Parr said the football department was keen to run its eye over their form in the pre-season and regular season before leaping in with offers.
''There's a few guys we're looking at to improve on last year and I think Neil and the rest of the coaching staff want to assess those players before we move onward too much,'' Parr said.
''We're obviously talking to Neil and the footy department all the time, it's a continuing thing, recruitment and retention.
''Keeping Johnathan and Luke is a given and we'll keep talking to the other players, when we're comfortable about making an offer we'll go about the process.''
Meanwhile former Cowboy Jaiman Lowe has signed to play with feeder team the Northern Pride in the Queensland Cup.
Parr said his signing further strengthened the depth in the club and said he could come into the frame for first grade should injuries strike again in 2010.
''I think he's a proven NRL player, he's played (98) first-grade games,'' he said.
''It's a long season and because of that, the more depth that we have the better.
''There's no doubt getting players like him and Brenton Bowen back to the Northern Pride increases our depth.''

Carl Webb - let him go
John Williams - keep
Steve Southern - keep (gotta love the guy, but there are plenty of better 2nd rowers around)
Grant Rovelli
Clint Amos
Donald Malone
Mitchell Achurch
Obe Geia
Brandon Boor
Anthony Watts
Nick Slyney
Isaak Ah Mau
Dane Hogan

Talanexor

Juniors
JOSH ALSTON
November 17th, 2009

Carl Webb - let him go
John Williams - keep
Steve Southern - keep? (gotta love the guy, but there are plenty of better 2nd rowers around)
Grant Rovelli - Keep
Clint Amos - let go
Donald Malone
- keep, but either stick him in the centres or turn him into a winger
Mitchell Achurch - never seen him play. Keep, probably get him cheaply enough
Obe Geia - Let him go. Saw him play a couple of times. Very 'meh' sort of player.
Brandon Boor - likewise
Anthony Watts - keep. Better bench hooker than Amos, I'd like to see him get a run in the halves too.
Nick Slyney - let him go
Isaak Ah Mau
- Keep (can't be any worse than kaufusi)
Dane Hogan - Keep. local junior AND talented

I'd like to hang on to Webb - just because we've seen how good he can be (2005) - but the reality is he's too inconsistent for the money he'll be asking. If losing Webb means we keep JT, then I'm happy with that.

Southern is another tricky one. He's a great clubman, always reliable and always gives his all - but you couldn't call him naturally talented. Given that quality second rowers are a dime a dozen in the NRL at the moment - would we actually be better off recruiting elsewhere? I don't want to take anything away from the guy, but he won't win us a premiership.

Thoughts?

Charlie124

First Grade
I was all for giving Webb the punt during the first part of the season but from origin onwards he was outstanding and consistant which is something we havent seen from him before. If it were me i would be leaving the decision to retain/let go of him until last, if he is still showing that form for the first 8 to 10 weeks of the season id keep him.

Id like to keep Southern if we can but we have to be realistic about it, he isnt the most tallented backrower and we have plenty of backrowers. I really want to see Rapira and Tamou cement perminant spots in the 17 and if that means one of them takes Southerns spot i would be happy with that.

Talanexor

Juniors
I was all for giving Webb the punt during the first part of the season but from origin onwards he was outstanding and consistant which is something we havent seen from him before. If it were me i would be leaving the decision to retain/let go of him until last, if he is still showing that form for the first 8 to 10 weeks of the season id keep him.

Fair point. I wonder if he'd be better utilised playing prop off the interchange bench. He's an impact player, and I think he's at his best when he's barging through a tired defensive line and offloading for Bowen or Gallant. Even if he only has to do it for 30 mins a game. He was only good in the backrow when he charged onto a short ball close to the line and ran over opposing outside backs.

Id like to keep Southern if we can but we have to be realistic about it, he isnt the most tallented backrower and we have plenty of backrowers. I really want to see Rapira and Tamou cement perminant spots in the 17 and if that means one of them takes Southerns spot i would be happy with that.

Another good point, although this means we'd need to keep LOD at lock instead of exerimenting with him in the centres. Tamou should be groomed as a prop, Rapira as a second rower.

There are SO many decent backrowers on the scene at the moment I can't see why we need to settle for one with limited natural ability. Even Luke O'Donnell has a hard time making rep sides, there's that much talent out there.

Southern seems to be in the same boat as Ty Williams - he just 'feels' right in Cowboys colours, but the harsh reality is there are much better players out there we should be going after. Besides, we now have Dane Hogan.

8. Tamou
10. Scott
11. Bolton
12. Rapira
13. O'Donnell

15. Webb
16. Hogan/Harris
17. Manuokafoa/Kaufusi/Hopefully someone else

Still a very good forward pack. Especially when Tamou puts some muscle on - is it possible for a prop forward to be anorexic?

Shorty

Staff member
Bit harsh comparing Bluey to Ty, Ty hasn't delivered since like 2006 or so.
Bluey can be as inconsistent as Webb but for the most part does a good job.

I don't share the same sentiments with Webb, he's being paid too much money to be given chances and again and again.
It's even more infuriating considering that Thurston's future isn't secure with us and we could be pitching him a better deal if we hadn't paid so much for someone that is notoriously inconsistent.

I love Webb, I know that he is one of the few guys that has passion for this jumper but he's probably just going to get comfortable again and slump back into mediocre.

Latest posts