What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singapore rugby league?

christopher

Juniors
Just looking for some information on Singapore rugby league, or asian rugby league in general. for a story im doing on Redcliffe's Tim Yee, who is signed to the Broncos and is surely the only pro league player with Singaporean heritage.

i see they used to have a website, rlas.org but that doesn't work anymore.

thanks

joshreading

Staff member
Singapore Rugby League never really happened in the end. I think key people could not really put in (and some came back to Oz I think) and there was opposition in Singapore from Rugby Union people blocking players etc.

There must be some potential though, given time and the right door.

ali

Bench
I'm sure a British team stopped there on the way to Aus. I think they didn't play a proper match though, just an extended training session. If you do a search on this forum for Singapore I'm sure the information will turn up.

RLIF

Juniors
There is no chance of this ever happening. I spent a month in Singapore last year with their defence force and the only sports they really play is Soccer or Basket Ball.

Some play rugby but not many, they dont like contact. We tried playing water polo against them but they didnt want too due to the contact!!!

They are also a very small slim sized people, we saw hardly any people that could be a prop in League.

I think its just wishful thinking to get League played in Singapore.

rhino

Juniors
Just looking for some information on Singapore rugby league, or asian rugby league in general. for a story im doing on Redcliffe's Tim Yee, who is signed to the Broncos and is surely the only pro league player with Singaporean heritage.

i see they used to have a website, rlas.org but that doesn't work anymore.

thanks

Christopher , I know a guy who might be able to help you out with some info.

Have left his details on a personal message I sent you.