What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sins of the father

adamkungl

Immortal
Stewart was the public face of the game and was off his f**king tits in public. Terrible look for the code and justifiably suspended.

Well yeah...except he wasn't...and no other player has ever been banned by the NRL for public drunkeness.

Nah. Off his face or not. Media bash up or not. He is what he is because the media made him famous. Shit happens, he has to take the good with the bad.

He went to court and got found not guilty. These things happen, day-in day-out, in courts all over Australia (and the world). What he went through was hardly an ordeal.

lol you're taking the piss

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
And if he didn't have the resources, he'd have been f**ked and be sitting in jail you utter f**king bell end. Justice is only ever achieved by those with the fiscal means to afford it. f**kwit

Fire

First Grade
And if he didn't have the resources, he'd have been f**ked and be sitting in jail you utter f**king bell end. Justice is only ever achieved by those with the fiscal means to afford it. f**kwit

Um, again. I never said the system is perfect. :lol:

MSIH

Bench
Stewart was the public face of the game and was off his f**king tits in public. Terrible look for the code and justifiably suspended.

Maybe you should've read the article before making that stupid post, nimrod.

Patorick

Staff member
Ahem.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rotten-to-the-core/story-e6freyar-1111119127871

Rotten to the core

By Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
March 14, 2009 12:00AM

RUGBY league has spent millions trying to sell the message that it is a great example of what happens when professionalism meets athleticism - and the athletes happen to be working-class boys.

Scratch the surface of the glamorous launches, the multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns and the gender experts, and what you have is a booze-fuelled, male-dominated culture full of accidents waiting to happen.

Where to start in one of rugby league's most shameful weeks? There is no need to discuss the sexual assault charges here. That is for the courts and it is irrelevant, really, in the scheme of things.

Where we can start is at an official club function.

I wrote last season how wonderful it was that the premiership-winning Manly team could manage to have a week full of drunken celebrations and not offend anyone. Their Grand Final party was joyous, fun and pretty innocent by league standards.

How wrong could I have been about a football team?

The club has started 2009 with a transformation - the team's official season launch degenerated into an alcohol-fuelled, unsupervised rabble with which even some club administrators were involved.

Witnesses say some present at the function were drunk. The blank-eyed Anthony Watmough allegedly told the father of a beautiful young woman present at the team's season launch that his daughter was a "s**t". He decided then to slap the girl's father.

It must be stressed here that these facts are not challenged by anyone at the club. Watmough was forced to apologise to the father, who turned out to be a club sponsor.

This is not an isolated tale of club members playing up on a night out. Their club could be any one of 16 in the NRL competition.

The last week has proved beyond any doubt that rugby league is crook to the core - that some of its players, clubs, administrators and even its fans are still willing to accept behaviour that is below normal social standards.

Manly reacted appallingly to the crisis. They did not stand Stewart down. The board voted unanimously to keep him in the team, even after NRL boss David Gallop implored them to drop him from the side.

The weak board ridiculously asked the team's coach what he wanted. Not surprisingly, Des Hasler opted for the win-at-all-costs option and the board bought it. Even a gaggle of famous female fans came out in support of Brett Stewart without having been present on the night or hearing the facts of the story.

A battle-weary Gallop suspended Stewart for four weeks (for being presented as the face of league one day and being too drunk to speak the next). He fined Manly $100,000 for Watmough's behaviour and for bringing the game into disrepute.

Gallop is starting to realise that badly behaved footballers need to be treated like children, not adults earning up to $750,000 a year. He is also sadly aware of the culture that exists within clubs which excuses "the boys".

How many more times must we hear "the boys needed to let their hair down" and how many more times must we witness the sport implode as a result of yet another player having 30 schooners?

Rugby league is its own worst enemy. With the exception of Gallop, the week has thrown up another bunch of drunken footballers who believe they are bullet-proof, weak administrators who love having a beer with "the boys" and fans willing to forgive all if their team is winning.

Stewart's face should never grace a poster or television advertisement again. If a 24-year-old with the world at his feet can't say no to a beer at the end of a long drinking session, he doesn't deserve to be adored by any of us.

Watmough's anger and nasty outburst has not attracted the attention it deserved either. He is obviously a troubled and cocky young man with no idea of social graces or sensibilities.

I attended the national rowing titles last weekend in Tasmania. These athletes are world class, do 14 training sessions a week and rarely say yes to a drink. They work fulltime to pay for their sport because, for them, it remains a noble pursuit.

Perhaps a few of our so-called elite footballers should seek these rowers out to see what makes them tick, to understand a little about how tough it is for most athletes pursuing dreams.

Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough have forgotten the word "struggle" - the very word that drove them to shrug off their working-class upbringings in favour of a better life in rugby league. They have irreparably damaged themselves and their sport in the process.

:crazy:

Rotten, indeed.

Fire

First Grade
Well. It's been fun making this the thread the one I'd latch onto and troll while killing time. I'm off folks!

Seriously, you Manly fans should stop bringing this shit up, I mean, f**k, you're the Premiers and the only club to win Premierships in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. Bring that shit up, not this shit.

Anyways, it's going to be good having the Stewart brothers return home next season, they'll look good in the Red V.

Hang on, people are whinging that Brett Stewart was 'trial by media'. When clearly this is what the article is doing to this man...

FMD how stupid can you be. Todays article is POST court case which of course is the exact opposite to all the speculation & defamation handed out by the media before the trial.

Do you personally know the lawyer who represented him. I do.

Given your stupidity in the topic above this one we can all only presume that you know the lawyer involved by way of being his client at one time as the defendant.

MSIH

Bench
Haha, you left your worst troll for your last sentence. Leaving on a low Fire.

Slackboy72

Coach
I read this article at 7am kyoto time. Why did it take 4 hours for someone to post this on LU and why wasnt it El Diablo?

But seriously there are a lot of bad people out there but this 'Nero' guy has scraped right through the bottom of the barrel.

Did you read the article?

The police claimed he was coherent and cooperative when they attended the scene.

Hardly someone who was "off his f*cking tits"

That was the media line , you bought it hook , line and sinker.

Red Bear

Referee
Well yeah...except he wasn't...and no other player has ever been banned by the NRL for public drunkeness.
I thought half the problem with Stewarts defence was that he couldnt remember the incidents of the evening (in general, not the allegations) due to alcohol consumption? Maybe i've misread this. Only skimmed this article (which obviously paints that father in a pretty terrible light).

Maybe should take back what I said then!

Fire

First Grade
Haha, you left your worst troll for your last sentence. Leaving on a low Fire.

lol, cheers mate, it wasn't my best I'll admit. Tell your boys to fire up against the Storm at Brooky Monday night. It's gonna be a cracker. Peace!

Slackboy72

Coach
One wonders if Brett was waiting for this article to see the light of day before re-negotiating a contract. This could easily bump up his value for any potential sponsors.

Red Bear

Referee
Did you read the article?

The police claimed he was coherent and cooperative when they attended the scene.

Hardly someone who was "off his f*cking tits"

That was the media line , you bought it hook , line and sinker.
Seen this, edited original post, was wrong.

fourplay

Juniors
The police at the scene where the incident took place stated that Stewart was "courteous and in control." He was not even drunk.

It also shows what a joke "Media Watch" is by ridiculing the only non-bias story in the whole affair where the fathers past was questioned.

Rebecca Wilson and co. just carry on like nothing ever happened. I can see why the Stewart bros wanted an apology from Gallop now.

Latest posts