What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sins of the father

Stop derailing this thread..(@Fire and BM)

Anyway,good read OP.

The father is a merkin, hope he gets hit by a bus.

Typical trial by media rubbish that RL players have grown accustomed to over the years, heres hoping after this debacle the powers that be will learn from their mistakes and have some more faith in the players.

Fire

First Grade
Yes fool, because an innocent man was put through hell and still carries the negative perception from small minded people ou there.

Ask yourself how would you feel if it was you.

Stewart showed alot of character and class for what he went through.

Do you personally know the lawyer who represented him. I do.

Fire

First Grade
Still waiting for your example, Bunniesman. It better not be a weak one, it better be one that involved displaying mettle...

adamkungl

Immortal
Wow. What a story. Disturbing

edit: stfu about BunniesMan, the story itself is far more interesting than some nuffy souffs fan

BunniesMan

Immortal
I hope the lessons learned from this are remembered the next time a player is accused of something.

The NRL, the media, the fans, need to let things play out in court before judging people.

Fire

First Grade
Hang on, people are whinging that Brett Stewart was 'trial by media'. When clearly this is what the article is doing to this man...

Packy

Bench
I believe Stewart is innocent and good on him for just trying to leave this whole mess behind him. He cant blame Gallop for taking action though. No matter who was in charge, they had to take precautions.

Good read.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gordon got a ten week suspension and Lui got a season long suspension
Stewart got 4 weeks based on nothing more than suspicion. Gordon has been found guilty, Lui has been found guilty.

If Stewart got 4 weeks for nothing they shouldn't be in the game.

Stewart was the public face of the game and was off his f**king tits in public. Terrible look for the code and justifiably suspended.

Thats not the point though, the suspension he received furthered the perception of guilt. He sat out 4 weeks for being "drunk", but the suspension in itself made it look like the NRL thought he was guilty of the crimes he didn't commit.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Stewart was the public face of the game and was off his f**king tits in public. Terrible look for the code and justifiably suspended.
That's not true.

Read the article. No neutral witnesses or police claimed he was drunk when he got home.

He actually left the function EARLY. He was on the phone making dinner plans after his interaction with the girl and before the police came.

Hardly the way a hammered guy behaves.

The "he was off his face" story is one of many myths about that night.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Nah. Off his face or not. Media bash up or not. He is what he is because the media made him famous. Shit happens, he has to take the good with the bad.

He went to court and got found not guilty. These things happen, day-in day-out, in courts all over Australia (and the world). What he went through was hardly an ordeal.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Being accused of rape would be a massive ordeal, especially being in the spotlight like NRL players are. I take my hat off to him, I would flip the f**k out if it happened to me and I'm a nobody.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Nah. Off his face or not. Media bash up or not. He is what he is because the media made him famous. Shit happens, he has to take the good with the bad.

He went to court and got found not guilty. These things happen, day-in day-out, in courts all over Australia (and the world). What he went through was hardly an ordeal.

Are you really that thick ?
It should never have got to court.
You should read the DPP's charter some time and see if they adhere to the material disclosure clause(s) with regards including evidence even if it is prejudicial to their case.
They aren't referred to as the Director of Public Persecutions by the legal fraternity for no reason ...

Fire

First Grade
He had the resources at his disposal to fight the charge.

I never said the 'system' is perfect.