What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sironen

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Injuries mate. This has been our biggest issue with our halves rotations
No it hasn't. We haven't had an actual halfback since Prince left that has played more than a dozen games for us.

Here's a list of all our halfbacks since Prince left at the end of 2006.

John Morris (Hooker)
Robbie Farah (Hooker)
Benji Marshall (Five-Eighth)

John Morris (Hooker)
Mat Head (Halfback) - 10 games
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

John Morris (Hooker)
Tim Moltzen (Five-Eighth/Fullback)
Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)

Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)
Blake Lazarus (Halfback) - 2 games
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)
Jacob Miller (Halfback) - 1 game

Tom Humble (Five-Eighth/Fullback)
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

Jacob Miller (Halfback) - 4 games
Braith Anasta (Five-Eighth/Back Row)
Curtis Sironen (Five-Eighth)

Here is the full list of the players who have played halfback for the club since 2000 and the number of games they played in the position.

Scott Prince - 71 games
Benji Marshall - 43 games
Robert Lui - 42 games
Lincoln Withers - 31 games
Craig Field - 28 games
Ben Jeffries - 25 games
John Morris - 23 games
Tim Moltzen - 15 games
Robbie Farah - 14 games
Mathew Head - 10 games
Ben Black - 6 games
Jacob Miller - 6 games
Tom Humble - 4 games
Curtis Sironen - 4 games
Keiran Kerr - 3 games
Braith Anasta - 2 games
Blake Lazarus - 2 games
Ben Reynolds - 2 games
Adam Tippett - 2 games
Glen Air - 1 game
Michael Buettner - 1 game
Shayne Dunley - 1 game
Steve Georgallis - 1 game
John Simon - 1 game

Here's a fact, the Wests Tigers have had 24 halfbacks in their history since 2000, 14 of whom played less than 10 games there.

The Brisbane Broncos have had 23 halfbacks in their history since 1988 12 of whom played less than 10 games there.

The St.George-Illawarra Dragons have had 17 halfbacks since their inception in 1999.

Injuries are not the problem for our halfback issues. We have barely ever in our history had any halfbacks, let alone depth in that position.

Bench
No it hasn't. We haven't had an actual halfback since Prince left that has played more than a dozen games for us.

Here's a list of all our halfbacks since Prince left at the end of 2006.

John Morris (Hooker)
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

John Morris (Hooker)
Mat Head (Halfback) - 10 games
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

John Morris (Hooker)
Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)

Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)
Blake Lazarus (Halfback) - 2 games
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

Robert Lui (Five-Eighth)

Tom Humble (Five-Eighth/Fullback)
Robbie Farah (Hooker)

Jacob Miller (Halfback) - 4 games
Braith Anasta (Five-Eighth/Back Row)
Curtis Sironen (Five-Eighth)

Here is the full list of the players who have played halfback for the club since 2000 and the number of games they played in the position.

Scott Prince - 71 games
Benji Marshall - 43 games
Robert Lui - 42 games
Lincoln Withers - 31 games
Craig Field - 28 games
Ben Jeffries - 25 games
John Morris - 23 games
Tim Moltzen - 15 games
Robbie Farah - 14 games
Mathew Head - 10 games
Ben Black - 6 games
Jacob Miller - 6 games
Tom Humble - 4 games
Curtis Sironen - 4 games
Keiran Kerr - 3 games
Braith Anasta - 2 games
Blake Lazarus - 2 games
Ben Reynolds - 2 games
Adam Tippett - 2 games
Glen Air - 1 game
Michael Buettner - 1 game
Shayne Dunley - 1 game
Steve Georgallis - 1 game
John Simon - 1 game

Here's a fact, the Wests Tigers have had 24 halfbacks in their history since 2000, 14 of whom played less than 10 games there.

The Brisbane Broncos have had 23 halfbacks in their history since 1988 12 of whom played less than 10 games there.

The St.George-Illawarra Dragons have had 17 halfbacks since their inception in 1999.

Injuries are not the problem for our halfback issues. We have barely ever in our history had any halfbacks, let alone depth in that position.
Thanks for the history MU,very interesting,but Kelly is a 5/8th and not a good one.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelly is a halfback, that's all he ever played in his junior days. I saw him play many games leading up to his NRL debut.

half or 5/8 !! reminded me that I was told the Sironen played plenty of centre in his school boy days.

I went looking and found some things that I did was not aware of but plenty on here may. I'll share it anyway.

2010 Aust Schoolboys team included:
James Tedesco, Matthew Groat & David Nofoaluma
Tedesco & Groat both came out of St Gregory's College Campbelltown and Nofoaluma from John Therry College Rosemeadow and all represented the NSW U18's Combined Catholic Colleges team.

2011 Aust Schoolboys team included:
Curtis Sironen playing at 5/8

Paul Simona & David Nofoaluma represented the NSW U18's Combined Catholic Colleges team in 2011, Siro at 5/8 Simona on wing and Nofoaluma in the centres.

2012 Aust Schoolboys team included:
Luke Brooks at half, Mitchell Moses at 5/8 both came out of Holy Cross College, Ryde

If he played in the centres, it does not appear that it was at school boys rep level.

FootynRacing

Juniors
If we were ever going to go for a Kelly I'd much prefer to go for Albert Kelly from the Titans. He is going really well for the Titans and by all reports from the past few days is looking to get out over a salary dispute.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't think we need to buy a halfback when we have so much potential with Luke Brooks. I'd rather see the money spent on a premiere back rower.

I don't see any reason why Sironen can't be our halfback untill Brooks comes of age.

macnaz

Staff member
Otherwise they could or can get a cheap interim one , someone like Brett Finch who is playing state cup for the Sharks ?

DanOz

Juniors
I don't think we need to buy a halfback when we have so much potential with Luke Brooks. I'd rather see the money spent on a premiere back rower.

I don't see any reason why Sironen can't be our halfback untill Brooks comes of age.
Maybe because the Marshall / Sironen combination has us currently 14th?

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't think that this is the reason though. Miller was there at the start and never really looked like he was going to win us a game. Sirro has already done that - there is a long way to go but it is a good start.

To add to that our backrow has been ordinary and our outside backs slow in attack and poor defensively. Our forwards have been smashed a couple of times as well.

macnaz

Staff member
We won 2 games with Miller and in fact he won one for us with a good solo try

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that this is the reason though. Miller was there at the start and never really looked like he was going to win us a game. Sirro has already done that - there is a long way to go but it is a good start.

To add to that our backrow has been ordinary and our outside backs slow in attack and poor defensively. Our forwards have been smashed a couple of times as well.
you mock my views on the current game yet cannot see how poor performing forwards can affect halves.

You have had a massive agenda against Miller since day 1. You wanted the kid to fail.

Did he kill your dog or something?

BrotherJim05

Bench

Well when we were cycling through all the other combinations we were cemented at 16th.

Our issues are spread across the field, not just in our halves. I think we are slowly starting to get back on track but without an experienced pack it will be a long way off.

We can't keep switching our halves so we need to just stick with Sirro at 7 and Marshall at 6 for the remainder of the year.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Siro is the prototype edge running/ball playing Lock. That is where his future lay. Anasta isn't a locks arsehole.

We're hopefully going to bring Brooks in at 7 for the start of 2014. So why not give Siro the time at lock till the end of the year and Anasta can fill in at 7.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Siro is the prototype edge running/ball playing Lock. That is where his future lay. Anasta isn't a locks arsehole.

We're hopefully going to bring Brooks in at 7 for the start of 2014. So why not give Siro the time at lock till the end of the year and Anasta can fill in at 7.

Thank you for realising that Sironen is a lock not a centre.

Tiger05

First Grade
you mock my views on the current game yet cannot see how poor performing forwards can affect halves.

You have had a massive agenda against Miller since day 1. You wanted the kid to fail.

Did he kill your dog or something?

You have this all wrong. I just didn't get the love for Miller that some of you did - it is just s difference of opinion. I wish him the best and I would have loved him to succeed.

I totally agree with your point regarding poorly performing forwards affecting the halves.

Latest posts