What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Shaun over Stacey, big call and I don’t think one I could make

We are possibly heading into a conversation, if not already there, that Hughes is the best kiwi half to play in the NRL. Top 5 in no particular order probably looking like Freeman, Johnson, Jones, Foran and Hughes

Blair

Coach
The last two weeks has told me all I knew already about Shaun, too. I've always loved the guy but I'm so sick of the farewell tour. He's milked it way too much. Can't cop that in a team sport. You can't care so much about what people think about you as Shaun did, and he's always read too much of his hype, bristled too much at the criticism, and although I think he got better in terms of work ethic and taking on advise/learning, he could have got better a lot quicker if he was humble in his 20s.
The 'couldn't script it better' last round win over Cronulla should never mask the fact we had a poor season, but it did. For now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The 'couldn't script it better' last round win over Cronulla should never mask the fact we had a poor season, but it did. For now.
Did it for the masses? Not for me. To be fair, I don't tend to watch 930pm matches and I wasn't ever going to watch that one...so I dunno how it felt

Blair

Coach
Did it for the masses? Not for me. To be fair, I don't tend to watch 930pm matches and I wasn't ever going to watch that one...so I dunno how it felt.

There was a massive buzz of goodwill and thrill around Sydney for it. The Wahs were back, for the final five minutes of the season.

Being on the prime-time Nine spot did the trick. Everyone was watching. Thank God SJ had decided to go and wasn't negotiating to go 'round again. He'd be on top-dollar again for sure.

We can move on now. This is a must.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I believe this has more to do with them not following his career closely enough and not knowing enough about the Warriors.

Yeah I think it's as simple as this. It's an over-correction by pundits who haven't followed his career closely. By having a great 2023 season and then an exciting retirement game, he's done enough to create a narrative of "veteran halfback still playing at a high level right till the end", for people who don't really watch Warriors games.

What I find interesting is that on the reddit NRL forum he is a demigod. He's basically a meme over there about how he's so good looking, so likeable, basically the perfect man etc etc. It's funny because in my experience (including this forum, and in real life) that's not at all how he's perceived. I wonder if it's a case of the reddit users being about 10 years or so younger on average than the LU users. It seems that people younger than Shaun, who grew up watching him, see him as sort of an unquestionable great of the game.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it's potentially the generation viewpoint - there seems to be more sycophantic, all-encompassing love for teams and players, believing any criticism or viewpoint on their failings is for 'band wagon fans'. I see that so regularly on social media, although maybe that's the algorhythm.

Really, he's had one top-tier season (2023), I can't comment on the Sharks years, and other years where he wasn't in that category for whatever reason. Anyone can say why: injuries (2015 he was flying then broke his leg), poor coaching, ego, lack of quality around him etc.

Even now, he's still milking the glory. I saw on his podcast, they were ranking his biggest highlights in terms of god tier, iconic etc. We've moved on man

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The reddit simps did have a good point that we kinda forget though, that overall he’s been an absolute credit to the sport. Hes never had any off field trouble or scandals, dont think he’s ever been suspended, cant even recall him being cited. Literally the worst thing he’s done in a 14 year career is have a couple of minor sooks on social media. Plus he’s always fronted the media well, and probably been the most important kiwi player of the last decade in terms of raising the sport’s profile and attracting new fans.
he might have been inconsistent and frustrating to the warriors faithful on occasion but to the wider league community he’s been the face of Kiwi Rigby league for a decade and on the whole he’s shouldered that responsibility bloody well.