What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Try not to pretend you know a thing about medical practice, you muppet.
Low blood flow to tendons (and ligaments) means they take 6-9 months to be back to 100%. Not 6 weeks like muscles can.
All the load from the calf muscles contraction goes through it.
Hope for the best, fear for the worst.
Another loss and he can have 4-5 months rest.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Low blood flow to tendons (and ligaments) means they take 6-9 months to be back to 100%. Not 6 weeks like muscles can.
All the load from the calf muscles contraction goes through it.
Hope for the best, fear for the worst.
Another loss and he can have 4-5 months rest.
Haha no I know, I stand by my comment...I can't imagine SJ is anywhere near full fitness. Of course there's a medical team who know more than me, and are seeing more than I'm seeing. I'm just surprised, hearing him on his podcast and knowing Achilles injuries are no easy matter.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not taking $800K from the Roosters for next year and letting Chad f**king Townsend take the money instead will have to go down as an all time dumb decision. If we pay Shaun more than a pie and a big bottle of Lion Red a game next year we are kidding ourselves.

Not taking $800K from the Roosters for next year and letting Chad f**king Townsend take the money instead will have to go down as an all time dumb decision. If we pay Shaun more than a pie and a big bottle of Lion Red a game next year we are kidding ourselves.
SJ doesn't like premierships, eh? Lol Roosters are so hot now dumb is an understatement.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd have to disagree on that, at least the first part. Shaun has a young family, his wife plays (semi) professionally netball-wise in NZ, at the time he turned down the contract he would have thought a premiership wasn't out of the question here, is he going to uplift his family for a season or two when they've already had a season apart during COVID? He's got his podcast going now, I imagine other business interests...there's more to life than 800k. Yeah, he's more likely to win a premiership at the Roosters, but he's made it clear he's a passionate Warrior.

I wouldn't disagree with the last part.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yesterday I think Shaun was overthinking and too worried about screwing up for most of the game. Towards the end when we scored 3 tries I’m pretty sure he just thought “nah f**k it, I’ll just try stuff” and it worked.
We’re too conservative, the “maintain pressure until they make a mistake” gameplan doesn’t work when sides maintain discipline like the Eels did.

Matua

Bench
Yesterday I think Shaun was overthinking and too worried about screwing up for most of the game. Towards the end when we scored 3 tries I’m pretty sure he just thought “nah f**k it, I’ll just try stuff” and it worked.
We’re too conservative, the “maintain pressure until they make a mistake” gameplan doesn’t work when sides maintain discipline like the Eels did.
I'm not here to put the boot into SJ (I think this year is a write off due to injury and he's played too many matches injured) but I don't put anything of stock in those late tries. They were all just consolation tries, the Eels were already celebrating their first win in ages by that stage.

sup42

Juniors
I got shouted down on the other forum for pointing out that our defensive channels this year have been weaker with Johnson playing.

In my defence I have concentrated on Johnsons defence over his life time as a special interest, my take is he used to get a pass as a young superstar by fans, one guy used to argue pages and pages with me that SJ did not need to be a good tackler because of his attacking skill.

Then from my Pov SJ became the best defensive halfback in the NRL, that happened after he was taken under Ruben Wiki's wing, those two used to have sessions where Ruben would run at Shaun and SJ would take Ruben down. From that commendable decision from SJ to work on his defense against one of the scariest players in the NRL we saw him spot tackle Sam Burgess at the height of Burgess's power and Shaun bulked up and no one got through him.

My lasting respect for Johnson will always be the way he went from being a side ways skipping arms tackler to a a hard hitting lock it down serious rugby league player. And it proved I was correct in my arguments with a hail of SJ acolytes attacking my position, Johnson does need to tackle, and he does need to meet the same standard as anyone else in the team, freak plays and Try's be dammed, every player who has ever played the game must learn to tackle is a maxim I will never back down from.

So it was surprising this year to see with the introduction of Capewell as SJs back up that those two leaked missed tackles through their channel.

It is really tricky to work out why players were going through those two and putting the team on the back foot. Capewell is a good tackler, as I already stated Johnson is a good tackler, one of the best actually in his position. So that only leaves a communication issue between the two, and the SJ playing in a dinner suit with shot legs thing.

The loss against the Eels is not on Johnson from my perspective, even though Shaun had an imperfect game, we were done through our Centers. And of us should bash the centers in my opinion for that. They are future stars, they got beaten by set plays they have never seen in NSW cup.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I got shouted down on the other forum for pointing out that our defensive channels this year have been weaker with Johnson playing.

In my defence I have concentrated on Johnsons defence over his life time as a special interest, my take is he used to get a pass as a young superstar by fans, one guy used to argue pages and pages with me that SJ did not need to be a good tackler because of his attacking skill.

Then from my Pov SJ became the best defensive halfback in the NRL, that happened after he was taken under Ruben Wiki's wing, those two used to have sessions where Ruben would run at Shaun and SJ would take Ruben down. From that commendable decision from SJ to work on his defense against one of the scariest players in the NRL we saw him spot tackle Sam Burgess at the height of Burgess's power and Shaun bulked up and no one got through him.

My lasting respect for Johnson will always be the way he went from being a side ways skipping arms tackler to a a hard hitting lock it down serious rugby league player. And it proved I was correct in my arguments with a hail of SJ acolytes attacking my position, Johnson does need to tackle, and he does need to meet the same standard as anyone else in the team, freak plays and Try's be dammed, every player who has ever played the game must learn to tackle is a maxim I will never back down from.

So it was surprising this year to see with the introduction of Capewell as SJs back up that those two leaked missed tackles through their channel.

It is really tricky to work out why players were going through those two and putting the team on the back foot. Capewell is a good tackler, as I already stated Johnson is a good tackler, one of the best actually in his position. So that only leaves a communication issue between the two, and the SJ playing in a dinner suit with shot legs thing.

The loss against the Eels is not on Johnson from my perspective, even though Shaun had an imperfect game, we were done through our Centers. And of us should bash the centers in my opinion for that. They are future stars, they got beaten by set plays they have never seen in NSW cup.
Yep, I’ll hang some shit on Shaun for our inability to score for most of the game but he didn’t let in 30 points.
It was a reality check for Ali and MGT, and they’ll happen when they’ve got under 10 first grade games between them. With Rocco and Pompey that’s score line would’ve been different, we might’ve even snatched the game.