What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

I will say that I believe Bluey got an absolutely raw deal from the players in that side. As you say, we actually played pretty well - round 1 we matched Manly (the premiers), Round 2 battered Parra, we were actually in the 8 as late as round 19. Lost three close games to Brisbane, Newcastle and Manly, then gave up and started getting belted by 40+

Bluey could coach, but they did him dirty by not allowing him to be an assistant first. Then the players knew they could lay down and stop playing, and blame it on him as an inexperienced coach in the NRL.
I remember our defense was lacking, but that attack was pretty slick. Love Bluey.

JJ

Immortal
In all seriousness, I do get tired of the whole ‘he redefined how the position is’ bollocks…. Someone suggested Steve Walters the other day, great player, but surely Elias is the better candidate for that label if it must be used. Great players are great players, but fullbacks were doing things Slater did before he arrived, he was just better at most…. But just without giving it much though, Mullins was probably a more dangerous runner (so was Inglis and at one point it was suggested he should be Storm fullback), Lockyer a better more dangerous ball player, many were better defenders, and many were great communicators on defence etc etc

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah I never understood how Slater "redefined the position" because stylistically, he was primarily a ball-runner. Before Slater came along, you had Lockyer playing fullback who was obviously a vastly better playmaker than Slater. What exactly did Slater redefine about fullback play? He was neither the most skillful nor the most explosively athletic. I always found his constant effort and fitness impressive, not any sort of unique skillset he brought to the position.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I probably get accused of being biased lol, but 2008 Brett Stewart was ahead of Slater in selection for rep teams (pulled out of World Cup squad), and outside of kick returns, had Billy covered in every area. He was already doing the ball playing creative stuff that saw Slater fawned over years before Billy started doing it. 2009 & 2010 knee injuries put him on the back foot and he never got the recognition deserved after that. 163 tries in 233 games is phenomenal even with the injuries catching up to him at the end

2007 and 2008 Grand Finals, 2009 and 2010 played 6 games total through injury, 2011 Premiership, 2013 Grand Final shows his influence and over that period he won over 75% of games he played in

Latest posts