What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky Cam

Does Sky Cam suck?

• Yes, it stinks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it rocks!

• Give it another chance

• Total voters

greeneyed

First Grade
The picture quality was appalling!!!!!!!!!!!!! And of course the Channel 9 directors have no idea when to use it... like DURING CRUCIAL PLAYS when we actually want to see what is going on!!!!!!!! Please...... never again... or at least until they can guarantee the picture quality and the directors can actually work out when to switch to it... maybe like in a try replay.... never during the match.

JK

Stupid idea.

I remember when they used crossbar cam and missed a try :roll:
I can see the same thing happening here.

Good point with kicks. Who wil be the first halfback to aim for it?? :lol:

***MH***

Bench
Samwise said:
Whats the rule if the ball hits the wire or camera itself?
If it effects play its a Scrum Feed to the Attacking Team (Territory wise) and if kicked from on the 50, it's feed to the last team with the ball.

In some instances it could be interpreted as out on the full, the ball coming in contact with an object from the outside of the touchline but i wouldn't pay that.

What if it came down and killed one of the players?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Channel Nein were like a kid with a new toy - they used it waaaay too much. It'd be like watching the cricket through Stump Camp or F1 through Cockpit Camp all the time...

Cheers,
Ben S.

ucantseeme

Juniors
i thought it was okay but way overused.

but the Rooney try was spectacular, it was like watching a jet taking off.

but that was the only good bit.

thickos

First Grade
I liked it, but only as a novelty. Shouldnt have been used for the Rooney try. But it was an interesting angle.

bazza

Immortal
I would like to register my distaste for the much heralded "Skycam" used in the SOO coverage.

The angle was useless, the picture grainy and it got in front of the players when they were near the line.

Hopefully it will be like Brett Finch - and never appear in Origin football again

salivor

First Grade
Well at least I'm not the only one who was unimpressed with the supposedly magnificent skycam. I actually saw it used in the Challenge Cup final in England last month and the picture quality was much better and it was also not over used like last night and didn't interfere with other camera shots.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
should ONLY be used on replays, and should get someone that knows what they're doing to pilot the damn thing

astrogirl

First Grade
Skycam was crap. I have pretty good eyesight but I could hardly work out who the players were.

And surely they could have at least attempted to get it out of the way of the other cameras :roll:

Moggles

Juniors
It would be great if they:
1. limited the used of it
2. had a better picture.
3. used it for replays only.

Doctor

Bench
It was like a home video camera -- hardly the sort of quality you want trying to cover the biggest winter sports series in Australia.

It did make me feel a bit sick -- it's because it is such a stark difference between the side-on angle and being above the action. There is a rule in film/television that you don't change angles like that. You wouldn't switch straight from an angle on one side of the field to another without first establishing where you're going -- i.e. an in-between shot, or the original shot starting to move in the direction of the new angle.

I didn't like it at all -- give it the flick for Origin 3 thankyou.

Forum Idiot

Bench
it really was terrible. they ruined the opening kick off by using it and it really threw me off when they used it for rooneys try. i couldnt concentrate on the action because of it. there is no need for it. skycam... :arrow:

Forum Idiot

Bench
when they use it for nfl matches it actually works really well but only because league and gridiron are two completely differnt games. the skycam naturally works well with the NFL because of the passing in the nfl and it gives incredible insight into the offensive line and how the running game succeeds. the nrl dont need it. it does no good.