What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater and his errors

Mr Saab

Referee
Yeah QLD won and thats great, but Slater is not safe at the back and he cannot chime into backline plays.
That harbour bridge pass for Hayne was shocking...but worst was his attempt at catching the bomb and resulting in NSW getting 6 again and then scoring. For a supposed "great" fullback he makes some stupid stupid errors.

skeepe

Immortal
The worst part is you just know Slater will back up a poor performance with an absolutely brilliant one against us.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Slater was completely useless. From intercept passes to bomb drops. His only saving grace was an awkward bat back that ultimately led to a try - luckily.

An Origin fullback he is not.

hellteam

First Grade
Luckily for us NSW are so bad at the moment that it doesn't really matter too much he's making these mistakes. I'd prefer Hunt, but I'm not too fussed, it seems to be working we are up 2-0.

But in saying that, I think our backline could actually look better with Hunt. He creates so many tries at the Broncs by running the deep second man play and he has a combination with many of the backs for QLD so I could see him doing this well in Origin.

One things for certain, if Hunt got the ball where Slater did when he threw that intercept, the result would still have been a try, but for QLD instead of NSW.

broncos70

Juniors
hunt>>>slater in origin...i have no doubt hunt would've replaced slater if he didnt cover for injured centres in both games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder if he was one of the sick ones? He looked off his game from the first ten minutes. He's always been iffy under the bomb but I'd still take his "magic" in my team any day of the week!

typicalfan

Coach
QLD seem to always prefer the enigmatic speedster at the back over a safety first, metre eating playmaker. They did it back in 2004 picking Wesser over Schifcofske and a similar comparison can be made to Slater and Hunt now. Luckily for Hunt he is versatile.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hunt will probably get the gig if Lockyer retires as he will then play that role in attack. Slater is such an enigmatic try creater/scorer though that it is hard to leave him out.

typicalfan

Coach
Hunt will probably get the gig if Lockyer retires as he will then play that role in attack. Slater is such an enigmatic try creater/scorer though that it is hard to leave him out.
But then they have Prince or Cronk who can fill that role especially as Cronk has a good combo with guys like Smith and Slater.

Hunt may not even be in the NRL next year so who knows???

Dazzat

First Grade
I'd have Hunt at fullback every day of the week. Slater is a glorifed winger IMO.

Nightward

Juniors
As I've said before, the problem with Slater is that he always plays as though his team is 4 down with ten seconds left on the clock. When it works, it makes him look like a genius. When it doesn't, his brain snaps can cost you the game.

At club level, the talent is dilute enough that when he stuffs up it usually not a killing blow. At international level, Australia is far and away better than other nations, and so it's rarely a problem there, either.

Origin, however, is a different beast entirely. I, too, would prefer Karmichael Hunt to Slater there, and I also believe that Hunt is a better Fullback than Brett Stewart. It is easy to look good when your entire team is structured around you in attack, but rather more difficult to look good when you are a cog in the machine, as Hunt is at the Broncos.

Mr Saab

Referee
Umm....Slater's knock back led to the winning try.

Thats fine, but his genral play is sorely lacking. His attempt at catching that bomb was park football stuff. Hunt, Stewart, Patten...they would have swallowed that...heck even that Copley kid who made his debut for the broncos would have caught that!

His pass from right to left that led to the intercept was Z grade...he has blistering speed and can come up with some amazing plays, but FMD he is not safe. His brain explosion in the world cup last yr summed him up perfectly.

Shorty

Staff member
Nope, I'd rather Slater at fullback - Hunt can't do any of the stuff that Slater can.
Slater's far more talented - I'm sorry if that offends but it's the truth.
Hunt is safe, and perhaps if Inglis hadn't have been injured, Hunt could have shifted to fullback later in the game.
But Slater has the ability to pull things from nothing, all the players that have that ability have errors in them as well - Look at Hayne.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Nope, I'd rather Slater at fullback - Hunt can't do any of the stuff that Slater can.
Hunt is safe, and perhaps if Inglis hadn't have been injured, Hunt could have shifted to fullback later in the game.
But Slater has the ability to pull things from nothing, all the players that have that ability have errors in them as well - Look at Hayne.

Hunt leads the NRL for try assists by fullbacks. He has shown far more in attack this season than Slater.

Mr Saab

Referee

And Slater cant do the stuff Hunt can do...defuse a bomb and also chime into backline plays and create trys. You can be assured when a bomb goes up and hunt is at the back it will be defused.

Slater is talented, but he is not this supreme fullback that some people make him out to be.....great fullbacks are known as being SAFE...slater is mistakathon.
Shorty come on...do you accept the fact that Slater is mistake riddled?