What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater and his errors

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah, I realise that Hunt is an awesome support player but he doesn't have that ability to turn something from nothing.
He's got errors in him, players that play like he does will - Fact is Hunt doesn't do those things to have the opportunity to make an error - But that is a double sided sword.

And Hunt being on the bench has proven vital in the last two games with his utility value for injuries.

hellteam

First Grade
Yeah, I realise that Hunt is an awesome support player but he doesn't have that ability to turn something from nothing.
He's got errors in him, players that play like he does will - Fact is Hunt doesn't do those things to have the opportunity to make an error - But that is a double sided sword.

And Hunt being on the bench has proven vital in the last two games with his utility value for injuries.

Did you see the try he set up against the Dogs the other week? One of two or three he did that night. See his game against Parra this year? That was probably as good a game as there has been from anyone in any game this year.

Slater last year had it all over Hunt in attack. This year I think things have changed. Which makes me even more depressed that he might not be around next year.

Azkatro

First Grade
Yeah QLD won and thats great, but Slater is not safe at the back and he cannot chime into backline plays.
That harbour bridge pass for Hayne was shocking...but worst was his attempt at catching the bomb and resulting in NSW getting 6 again and then scoring. For a supposed "great" fullback he makes some stupid stupid errors.
You forgot the worst thing of all ... the way he gave up when he was chasing Jarryd Hayne. Pathetic display.

He is not a team player... the things he does seem show that he is not in tune with anybody else on the field, sometimes not even himself. He makes stupid mistakes on regular occasions, and has a track record of single-handedly losing games. To anyone who says Hunt doesn't have the same ability to break a game open - newsflash, we have Inglis, Thurston, Folau, Lockyer, et. al. We don't need Slater and his, as Paul Stringer would say, dumb football!

And to the person who says his tap-back got us the winning try, that is wrong. We were already winning. He's bloody lucky he didn't tap it back to Morris or Hayne for them to streak away and score NSW the winning try.

Mr Saab

Referee
All true points Azk...some people have to realise that saving a try is just as important as scoring one. It is why Matt Sing was held in such high regard as a winger...he saved a shyte load of tries.
QLD need a safe fullback and Slater aint safe.
As for chasing Hayne...yes i was shocked he gave up...either Hayne is Usain Bolt, or Slater is Martin Bella...i am not sure. Slater certainly doesnt have the pace that some make him out to have.

Fraser

I have always said Hunt is a better fullback than Slater at origin. Hunt started last year at fullback in game 2 at the last minute and was a lot better than Slater.

Lockyer was just at bad. He threw about 3 no look passes that went to ground. Only took on the defense once.

Ghoulies

Bench
Yes Slater is prone to making these brain snaps, and they nearly cost us dearly last night, but his defence is about 1000x better than Hunt's.

I'd actually go so far to say that if Slater wasn't fullback in game one, we'd have lost. His speed to score the first try and his goal line defence saved us on a number of occasions.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Slater did not have his best night. I would still have him in my team ahead of Hunt. I was disapointed he gave up the chase on Hayne. Despite the fact he would never have run Hayne down after that headstart he should have shown more ticker.

Nightward

Juniors
Jonathan Thurston came from further away in his attempt to haul Hayne in. Slater's lack of effort was pretty disappointing; if he couldn't catch him, at least he could have kept him treading the line and made the goal attempt more difficult.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Jonathan Thurston came from further away in his attempt to haul Hayne in. Slater's lack of effort was pretty disappointing; if he couldn't catch him, at least he could have kept him treading the line and made the goal attempt more difficult.

yeah I considered this but its a myth - because he was chasing almost directly 10 metres behind and making no ground. Thurston was the only player to prevent the try being centered because of the angle he came from.

ByRd

First Grade
He didnt look healthy and fit to me. He just looked like he was tiring easily and was really out of it.

yeah I considered this but its a myth - because he was chasing almost directly 10 metres behind and making no ground. Thurston was the only player to prevent the try being centered because of the angle he came from.

The first 10 Slater looked like he had a shot because Hayne was off balance when he caught the ball, but once Hayne regained his balance he looked to have Slater covered for pace, and Slater gave up pretty much straight away.

Iafeta

Referee
As I've said before, the problem with Slater is that he always plays as though his team is 4 down with ten seconds left on the clock. When it works, it makes him look like a genius. When it doesn't, his brain snaps can cost you the game.

At club level, the talent is dilute enough that when he stuffs up it usually not a killing blow. At international level, Australia is far and away better than other nations, and so it's rarely a problem there, either.

Origin, however, is a different beast entirely. I, too, would prefer Karmichael Hunt to Slater there, and I also believe that Hunt is a better Fullback than Brett Stewart. It is easy to look good when your entire team is structured around you in attack, but rather more difficult to look good when you are a cog in the machine, as Hunt is at the Broncos.

Without taking it away from the Kiwis, I would suggest Billy Slater had a bit to do with New Zealand taking home the mantle of World Champions. It was a close game, until Slater decided to be a poncy prima donna. He's like Matt Bowen, thousands of errors in him but the Channel 9 crew want to boof him so it makes it alright. Hunt is the safer fullback.

beave

Coach
I think you will find that Slater was one of the sick ones last night.

Regardless though, I think Hunt should start, slater on the bench. Come the 30th mintue mark, when one of the 2nd rowers need replacing, move Dallas Johnson up, let Hunt move to Lock, Slater in a fullback. Hunt is more robust and can handle the earlier tirade of origin at fullback when the defence is fresh and wants to jam the fullback at any opportunity.

beave

Coach
Without taking it away from the Kiwis, I would suggest Billy Slater had a bit to do with New Zealand taking home the mantle of World Champions. It was a close game, until Slater decided to be a poncy prima donna. He's like Matt Bowen, thousands of errors in him but the Channel 9 crew want to boof him so it makes it alright. Hunt is the safer fullback.

awwwww, still dirty that he has torn your side a new a$$hole how many times now?????

beave

Coach
WTF? Matt Bowen is frequently at the top of the error per games list.

yeah, he makes errors, but he is also one of the most electrifying players to have ever graced the paddock. Have a look at some of his highlights on youtube if you need a visual reminder.