What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep

Fire

First Grade
Everyone will probably tell you otherwise, but ask your Doc for Temazepam. I use it when I have to travel, etc, and can't sleep well on the road. Just be careful you don't get addicted.

innsaneink

Referee
Sounds like youve a lot on your mind....would you like to tell us about it?
Lie down...get it off your chest.
Is it a girl/fella?
Work?
Money?
Maybe if you try & deal with what it is you cant stop thinking about, you may be able to relax

Aragorn

First Grade
in matters like this, seek professional help and don't listen to the crazy's on this forum...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Probably should clarify, when I said I keep thinking, it's not about anything specific. It is usually about the most trivial things.

I just literally don't feel tired.

LeagueNut

First Grade
My work roster screws my sleeping pattern up every couple of days
I'm in a similar position. In my experience it takes a bit of trial and error to find a pattern that works, and even then it might change from week to week. Sometimes I'll have a snooze before going back to work at 10pm, other times I'll be awake the whole day.

I did get sleeping pills years ago (and that was because I gave up smoking and it completely f**ked up my sleep) - they worked but they worked too well if that makes sense, I was always waking up tired. I can't remember the name of the pills.

The only real advice I can offer is to not force it. If you can't get to sleep then get up for a while, read a book, browse LU, or do something else - but get out of bed to do it. If/When you get sleepy go and lie down again. It sounds basic but I've found it works best.

Another tip is to try and stay awake during daytime hours. If I finish work at 3am I'll get up again at 8am regardless and try to have a "normal" day - sure I might doze off on the couch for a bit but it's better than sleeping right through to 4pm and then being awake all night.

Aragorn

First Grade
I use to do the mid-night shift at a petrol joint in the weekends 12am to 8am when I was at Uni... deadset screwed my clock up.... only last a couple of months before calling it quits...

mate I think you shouldn't try to force urself to sleep. just lie down to rest without putting pressure on urself to fall asleep. focus on yor body, and not on the outside world
also maybe get some light exercise or a hobby that will occupy your mind so you will feel like having a rest at the end of the day

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Having a hot shower then reading a book in bed works best for me. With a bedside lamp on rather than the main light

bazza

Immortal
Having a hot shower then reading a book in bed works best for me. With a bedside lamp on rather than the main light

Yep
Usual things like:
Don't eat for an hour before
No caffine for a while before bed
No TV/Computers an hour before (too stimulating)
Read a book

A tip that works
If you lie in bed awake for more than 15 minutes, get up and read a book till you feel tired then go back to bed

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep
Usual things like:
Don't eat for an hour before
No caffine for a while before bed
No TV/Computers an hour before (too stimulating)
Read a book

A tip that works
If you lie in bed awake for more than 15 minutes, get up and read a book till you feel tired then go back to bed

I don't get how TV/computers are too stimulating but reading isn't, I almost never fall asleep reading, I've been known to keep myself awake with good books.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Don't take pills for it, when you have problems like these and turn to meds you're just asking for trouble, you need to naturally condition yourself to fall asleep.

Create a pre bed routine and stick to it, and don't give up on falling asleep, stay in bed until you do. Your body will start to associate your routine with falling asleep and your neural pathways will start to respond.