What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep

Angry_eel

First Grade
How much do you need really? With/Without workout. I want to go for a run in the morning but I can't go to bed earlier than 10:30-11. That gives me barely 6.5 hours of sleep. Is it enough?

legend

Coach
How old are you? The older I get the less I sleep for some reason and I'm almost 39. I could get by comfortably on 6.5 hours per night.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
depends on how much work/exercise you do the day prior and your body size and lactic acid build up

you need to understand what sleep is and how it works and how the removal of lactic acid works

there is no simple answer that can apply to everyone, I researched this years ago and its very complicated

Danish

Referee
As Twizzle said sleep is different for everyone.

I've personally been diagnosed with a variety of different sleep disorders in my life. Insomnia being the main one, although the last couple years they've been on about Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (basically means your body clock is out of whack by a few hours).

I haven't gone to sleep before midnight more than a handful of times since I was probably 13 years old (26 now), with most nights usually finally nodding off around 1:30am. I'm up everyday at 6:30 for work. Weekends work a little differently as I'm not forcing myself to go to sleep, which means I'll go to sleep somewhere around 3am or so and wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed around 9 or 10.

So basically I get by on 5 hours during the week and 6 or 7 hours on the weekends. I wouldn't say it works for me as I do get exhausted in the afternoons most weekdays but I get by.

Really the only one that will know if 6.5 hours is enough sleep for you is you. Just give it a whirl for a fortnight and if you are too tired then change it up. I think you'll be right though.

They say between 6-8 hours. But everyone is different. When your a teenager going through puberty and growth spurts 8-10 hours is normally the go.

I am 27 workout everyday and on weekdays I will normally get around 7 hours on average. Weekends 8 or 9.

If you want good muscle recovery and good growth then I would say 6 hours minimum, 8 hours is optimum.

T. Rubble

Juniors
Another thing that really helps is going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time every day. Your body will adjust to the regular schedule and will program itself to start shutting down and then gearing back up at the same times every day. (I'm fascinated by the subject of sleep and have read many books and articles on the topic.) Good luck, though! And congrats on recognizing it as a crucial component of fitness! :)

I've personally been diagnosed with a variety of different sleep disorders in my life. Insomnia being the main one, although the last couple years they've been on about Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (basically means your body clock is out of whack by a few hours).

I haven't gone to sleep before midnight more than a handful of times since I was probably 13 years old (26 now), with most nights usually finally nodding off around 1:30am. I'm up everyday at 6:30 for work. Weekends work a little differently as I'm not forcing myself to go to sleep, which means I'll go to sleep somewhere around 3am or so and wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed around 9 or 10.

So basically I get by on 5 hours during the week and 6 or 7 hours on the weekends. I wouldn't say it works for me as I do get exhausted in the afternoons most weekdays but I get by.

Really the only one that will know if 6.5 hours is enough sleep for you is you. Just give it a whirl for a fortnight and if you are too tired then change it up. I think you'll be right though.

Same here man, though a tip I find if you can have one decent sleep a week 10 hours or so, it sought of stockpiles it and your sweet for a few days afterwoulds.

woodyk2

First Grade
At least 6 hours minimum works for me however what time i go to bed dosnt seem to matter as i'm always up around the same time...call it a built in alarm clock if you will.

I sleep for 8 hours but I'm so unproductive when I was in High School I got by on 4-5 hours at night and a 1-2 hour nap after school. It really depends on what you need to do. My life is more relaxed now than it was back then so I just sleep the 8 hours.

Chook Norris

First Grade
pretty hard with uni and everything but i try to go for 7 hours+ I guess if you're not feeling tired all the time, your sleeping patterns are sweet?

bluesbreaker

Bench

:shock: You me bro?

Scary how close that is to me. You get to go do a "sleep study" where you didn't sleep the whole time? Have you tried proper melatonin (not just the pre-packaged swill at the chemist)? Went and saw Dr Ambrogetti and getting the proper stuff helped me for a time.

Sleep is different for everybody. I ain't slept more than 4 or 5 hours every 24 pretty much my whole life too.

Edit: Baron, you never catch up that sleep again, That's a myth, it's culled off like a booragul high drama class.

Danish

Referee
Have never been bothered to go in for a full on monitored sleep appointment about it, just gone through the whole sleep journal thing countless times and DSPS is what they think I have. I've been referred to get a sleep test done but don't really see the point.

Tried stacks of different sleeping medications (all suck) but never had prescribed melatonin, just the vitaminy type which I agree does nothing.

TBH I've just learnt to work around it, struggle through a couple tired days at work and from time to time take a little kip under my desk at lunch if I can't bear it.

Have you had much luck changing your condition after the sleep test? I've always just thought of my sleep pattern as an unfixable issue which is why I've never gone. Seems pointless to confirm I have something when I feel like nothing will or can be done about it anyway

Shorty

Staff member
Another thing that really helps is going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time every day. Your body will adjust to the regular schedule and will program itself to start shutting down and then gearing back up at the same times every day. (I'm fascinated by the subject of sleep and have read many books and articles on the topic.) Good luck, though! And congrats on recognizing it as a crucial component of fitness! :)
Yeah this is so, so important.
You need routine, the best thing for sleep is routine.
Have never been bothered to go in for a full on monitored sleep appointment about it, just gone through the whole sleep journal thing countless times and DSPS is what they think I have. I've been referred to get a sleep test done but don't really see the point.

Tried stacks of different sleeping medications (all suck) but never had prescribed melatonin, just the vitaminy type which I agree does nothing.

TBH I've just learnt to work around it, struggle through a couple tired days at work and from time to time take a little kip under my desk at lunch if I can't bear it.

Have you had much luck changing your condition after the sleep test? I've always just thought of my sleep pattern as an unfixable issue which is why I've never gone. Seems pointless to confirm I have something when I feel like nothing will or can be done about it anyway
Yeah I get about 6 a lot of nights as well, 7 is probably my maximum during the week with a good 8 or 9 hours on the weekend.

But I do know that I used to have insomnia (I also to get that thing where you wake up but you can't move your limbs) anyway I didn't actually sleep well until I got a job and HAD to have decent sleep to perform the next day.
How I did it was I went to bed at the same time and even if I wasn't tired still did it and it's paying off now, but I'll be honest it took a good 2 years.

The other thing is, stuff like when you eat dinner, what you eat for dinner, your last coffee,stress, watching tv and computer....all these things contribute to how you'll sleep and it's all very individual.

But for better quality of life people should aim for at least 7.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Anyone have any ideas on getting to sleep? My work roster screws my sleeping pattern up every couple of days and I struggle to fall asleep at night.

Not too keen on tablets but I'm not opposed to it.

(And no it's not the internet. I will lay in bed for hours with my eyes closed and I just will not sleep. I just keep thinking and thinking. My mind can't relax)