What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

denis preston

First Grade
His passing game is fine but nothing on the level of duftys or drinkwaters. Support play needs to be better. Defensively close to the line he has been much stronger and made a handful of try savers that he would have missed in previous years. The way he attacked the high ball last week against phins is what we want to see more often.

I still believe one of his strengths apart from his obvious speed is his fend. That combined with his speed is what gets him through the line.
Why would you work on his deficiencies over this year as a work in progress and see the required improvement only to then throw him on the scrap heap? Again a big off season ahead for Sloan to grow physically & mentally. Watch his fend & hitups improve accordingly. Just can’t see him plateauing. Anyhow far better judges than us believe he is worth the perseverance.

Old Timer

Coach
Blinkers?

Flanno has been set a huge task.

Your at least 12 months behind. Old Timer.
Not sure what you are saying in this post?

if your inference is Sloan has improved under S F then I suggest that improvement is not good enough if you compare him to a complete rookie like K K who is smaller, younger, played less games, tougher, more focussed, more committed, better at positioning, tackles harder and already has a more complete game than Sloan.

There are several young FB’s around who I would suggest will go further quicker than Sloan who will still be having excuses made for him by the time his contract ends.

st.phil

Bench
Happy with Sloan's overall trajectory, but he has the worst run metres of all that have worn the number 1 this season except Sailor. Dylan Edwards is the benchmark with 208m average while Sloan is 88m. If he added 50m per game he would still be in the bottom half.
Agree … but a lot of that has to do with game plan , turning the ball to powerful tackle 1 wingers and winning that first ruck

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

if your inference is Sloan has improved under S F then I suggest that improvement is not good enough if you compare him to a complete rookie like K K who is smaller, younger, played less games, tougher, more focussed, more committed, better at positioning, tackles harder and already has a more complete game than Sloan.

There are several young FB’s around who I would suggest will go further quicker than Sloan who will still be having excuses made for him by the time his contract ends.
KK has also had far better development. Even Bula had really good development at Wests

since77

Juniors

For now I'm happy to trust in the opinion of the premiership winning coach who has decided he sees enough upside in the kid to sign him for another 2 years.
But hey you keep being a miserable sod. You wear it well.

Agree … but a lot of that has to do with game plan , turning the ball to powerful tackle 1 wingers and winning that first ruck
The game plan designed to minimise the impact of his weakness. All players have their strengths and weaknesses. So metres gained is a clear weakness. At some point he need to be killing it in another area. Hunt is a big part of that equation.

Old Timer

Coach
KK has also had far better development. Even Bula had really good development at Wests
Kids like K K just have a better attitude and greater understanding in all aspects of the game.

He is tough and puts his body on the line without hesitation whether that be a tackle, a tough carry, a tough catch, busting a gut to get to the next play.

Sloan just doesn’t have that type of DNA.

Old Timer

Coach
For now I'm happy to trust in the opinion of the premiership winning coach who has decided he sees enough upside in the kid to sign him for another 2 years.
But hey you keep being a miserable sod. You wear it well.
Just because I see something better in another player doesn’t mean I’m a miserable sod it just means I have a higher opinion of another player.

As I said I see some kids younger than Sloan with less games than Sloan offering more than Sloan and in respect of those players I am not hearing the range of excuses offered up for Sloan’s obvious deficiencies.

Has Sloan improved yes he has but IMO he is still behind some absolute rookies.

Where is he behind well it’s predominantly in effort, toughness, commitment and ticker and to think you have to teach that to someone on big $$$ playing regular 1st grade is somewhat incongruous to me.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Kids like K K just have a better attitude and greater understanding in all aspects of the game.

He is tough and puts his body on the line without hesitation whether that be a tackle, a tough carry, a tough catch, busting a gut to get to the next play.

Sloan just doesn’t have that type of DNA.
OT I think you really can't fault Sloans attitude. He definitely cares and wants to improve. He's no Matt Dufty.

Sloan has also tried hard in defence and has pulled off some great try savers this year. Sure, we'd like him to become a top defensive fullback but it comes with time.

I think Sloan definitely does have that type of DNA in him as he has shown it on some occasions, but it's about getting that every week.

Old Timer

Coach
OT I think you really can't fault Sloans attitude. He definitely cares and wants to improve. He's no Matt Dufty.

Sloan has also tried hard in defence and has pulled off some great try savers this year. Sure, we'd like him to become a top defensive fullback but it comes with time.

I think Sloan definitely does have that type of DNA in him as he has shown it on some occasions, but it's about getting that every week.
I sincerely hope that you are right and I am have got it wrong otherwise we will waste 2 more years and lose the opportunity to wrestle a young player loose from another club as we seem to be totally inept at wrestling any proven players free especially backs.

I don't doubt what you say about T S not being Dufty but I have fears that toughness, fearlessness are not things that can be taught.

Anyway time will tell and if he improves he deserves his chances but if not a call needs to be made and that can't be 2.5 years from now.

Carlton

Juniors
Just because I see something better in another player doesn’t mean I’m a miserable sod it just means I have a higher opinion of another player.

As I said I see some kids younger than Sloan with less games than Sloan offering more than Sloan and in respect of those players I am not hearing the range of excuses offered up for Sloan’s obvious deficiencies.

Has Sloan improved yes he has but IMO he is still behind some absolute rookies.

Where is he behind well it’s predominantly in effort, toughness, commitment and ticker and to think you have to teach that to someone on big $$$ playing regular 1st grade is somewhat incongruous to me.
Sloan has made 108 tackles and missed 17, Kini has made 39 and missed 14.

I also find it hard sometimes to see through the fog that covers my glasses.

Sloan is down on meters per game but a big part of that can be put down to the way the team plays. And I dont think its to cover his deficiencies, its because we use one of our big advantages which is big players running at smaller halves.

Watching new comer Keano Kini reinforces my negative thoughts about Sloan.

In such a short period Kini has shown that we are kidding ourselves with all the excuses we keep making for Sloan’s obvious deficiencies.

Sad thing is that is not just Kini who shows him up.
You should be very careful you’re not just living in the moment, when evaluating “something better in another player rookie like Keano Kini’.

15 appearances? Who’s to say he isn’t going to become the next Titan under performers, like Kane Elgey or Ashley Taylor – the debut superstars of their time ?

KK Tackle efficiency at 74.4 Sloan's is 86.5. Sure, KK has double the running meters per game – Wonder if he could achieve those meters with Hunt running the plays? I reckon not!

Then there is Jahream Bula – He was incredible last year, way above Sloan. This year, error prone, doesn’t take the line on and appears to have lost much confidence.

Bula’s trajectory is downhill whilst Sloan’s is still rising – Who do we prefer now? Or do we keep dismissing Sloan for the next potential flash?

I’d rather stick with Sloan who is not only handling the constant physicality and scrutiny of the NRL pressure cooker but improving overall. Why wish for a “meteoric rookie star” with the potential to burn up in the same environment Sloan is thriving on.

Once a shooting star burns out – that it!

I want both talent and consistency along with constant improvement from any Dragon player. It’s an additional bonus that Sloan is a Dragon junior, loyal to a tee and a good person.

I still predict Sloan to be a Dragon legend

Lennyb

Juniors

I agree with you.

Flanno is making the best of a shit sandwich which management are forcing down everyones throat.

His coaching is atleast putting a bit of tomato sauce on it.

Mojo

Bench
You should be very careful you’re not just living in the moment, when evaluating “something better in another player rookie like Keano Kini’.

15 appearances? Who’s to say he isn’t going to become the next Titan under performers, like Kane Elgey or Ashley Taylor – the debut superstars of their time ?

KK Tackle efficiency at 74.4 Sloan's is 86.5. Sure, KK has double the running meters per game – Wonder if he could achieve those meters with Hunt running the plays? I reckon not!

Then there is Jahream Bula – He was incredible last year, way above Sloan. This year, error prone, doesn’t take the line on and appears to have lost much confidence.

Bula’s trajectory is downhill whilst Sloan’s is still rising – Who do we prefer now? Or do we keep dismissing Sloan for the next potential flash?

I’d rather stick with Sloan who is not only handling the constant physicality and scrutiny of the NRL pressure cooker but improving overall. Why wish for a “meteoric rookie star” with the potential to burn up in the same environment Sloan is thriving on.

I want both talent and consistency along with constant improvement from any Dragon player. It’s an additional bonus that Sloan is a Dragon junior, loyal to a tee and a good person.

Not knocking OT’s comments. Always interesting insights IMO. 100% agree however re Sloan’s trajectory and likely sustained stellar career. I place great value in the young guy’s apparent humility and obvious willingness to listen by and learn.

Bin Chicken

Juniors

Three years in top grade he should be there by now . He has reached his cap already.
hes a lovely kid but he is also our weakest link along with Hunt

Latest posts