What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow-Mo of Crocker/Slater Hit on Stewart

Lego_Man

First Grade
I think it's clear to see there that the severity of the hit came from Stewart's head being compressed between Crocker's shoulder/chest and Slater's head. There's minimal contact to Stewart's head (if any) from Crockers arm.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
CharlieF said:
You are kidding.

So Crocker is a saint.
I didn't say Crocker is a saint.

What I said was that I didn't think the shot was illegal, nor any attempt to deliberately go for the head.

If it were any other player in the game, I highly doubt you or many others would be whinging about the hit.

You fall into the category of "crocker hater" that I listed in my previous post.

The NRL set a precedent with the Ryan hit earlier on in the year. If that was deemed to be a legal shot, then this one definitely is.

Iafeta

Referee
Johnny Bravo said:
He dropped down over half a foot in very short time when he was already crouched, at the time of impact he would have been about 4.5 foot. If Ryan's shot on Ryles was legal, this one certainly was.

Either way, if Stewart was fully upright, Crocker would have hit him in the stomach.

I saw nothing in it to think it was a deliberate cheap shot. It looked like some great aggression in a chase trying to inspire his side. It worked a treat.

Anyone who is whinging about that shot is either
a. A manly supporter clutching at straws.
b. A crocker hater, of which there are many.
c. A whinger for the sake of whinging.

How come it's the tacklers responsibility in a spear tackle situation (as it should be) to ensure a safe landing, but it doesn't appear to be in a head high tackle situation on a falling player *cough* except your name is Jonathan Thurston and the rulebook doesn't apply to you *cough*?

I remember a Tongan winger from Manly getting practically life for a elbow to a blokes head, sure, it was late, and the guy was in a fair position, but a bit better timing and a little bit more of a bend in the knees and he'd have been hailed as a great tackler. What I'm getting at is these sorts of tackles, particularly the types of tackles Sonny Bill lays on, they look wicked, but they're an inch away often from some serious repurcussions. Where do we draw the line? At what the result is, or do we start targetting the intention or moreso technique that could to the result as we do with spear tackles *cough* except Jonathan Thurston *cough*? I understand it's a contact sport, but I wonder where a smart lawyer sooner or later is going to cotton onto a situation of tort where the association hasn't taken all necessary steps to prevent a potentially serious injury.

PS: For the sake of this debate, have it known I'm a Crocker/Sonny Bill and those types supporter and didn't have a drama with Crocker tackle by the way it's currently ruled upon. Just thinking from a business law perspective.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
I think it's clear to see there that the severity of the hit came from Stewart's head being compressed between Crocker's shoulder/chest and Slater's head. There's minimal contact to Stewart's head (if any) from Crockers arm.

Exactly, the injury came about from him being sandwiched between two players at high speed. Not a forearm to the head.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Iafeta said:
How come it's the tacklers responsibility in a spear tackle situation (as it should be) to ensure a safe landing, but it doesn't appear to be in a head high tackle situation on a falling player *cough* except your name is Jonathan Thurston and the rulebook doesn't apply to you *cough*?

I remember a Tongan winger from Manly getting practically life for a elbow to a blokes head, sure, it was late, and the guy was in a fair position, but a bit better timing and a little bit more of a bend in the knees and he'd have been hailed as a great tackler. What I'm getting at is these sorts of tackles, particularly the types of tackles Sonny Bill lays on, they look wicked, but they're an inch away often from some serious repurcussions. Where do we draw the line? At what the result is, or do we start targetting the intention or moreso technique that could to the result as we do with spear tackles *cough* except Jonathan Thurston *cough*? I understand it's a contact sport, but I wonder where a smart lawyer sooner or later is going to cotton onto a situation of tort where the association hasn't taken all necessary steps to prevent a potentially serious injury.
I don't disagree with you whatsoever.

The judiciary earlier in this year set the example for this being a legal shot.

CharlieF

Juniors
Iafeta said:

PS: For the sake of this debate, have it known I'm a Crocker/Sonny Bill and those types supporter and didn't have a drama with Crocker tackle by the way it's currently ruled upon. Just thinking from a business law perspective.

I just can't understand their ruling. As you said, the onus is on the tackler to not hit him in the head. At the very minimum this should have been mentioned just to put the players on alert for next time. I heard nothing from the judicary, which means that certain plays are allowed to target the head as long as you make a case that it wasn't deliberate and that the tackled player contributed to it and it is still contrary to what the rulebook says.

As for the case of that Tongan fellow, he got 17 weeks and a career ender, whilst you can eye gouge in a GF and get 2 weeks. It makes you wonder sometimes of the fairness of it all.

Canard

Immortal
CharlieF said:
I just can't understand their ruling. As you said, the onus is on the tackler to not hit him in the head. At the very minimum this should have been mentioned just to put the players on alert for next time. I heard nothing from the judicary, which means that certain plays are allowed to target the head as long as you make a case that it wasn't deliberate and that the tackled player contributed to it and it is still contrary to what the rulebook says.

As for the case of that Tongan fellow, he got 17 weeks and a career ender, whilst you can eye gouge in a GF and get 2 weeks. It makes you wonder sometimes of the fairness of it all.

I can sorta see where the other side of the arguement is coming from, however I wonder if there would be so much uproar if Stewart got up and played the ball? I think the fact that he got knocked out, means to some people it must have been illegal.

As for trying to garner symphaty for Hopoate, that shovel nosed halfwit should have been banned from the game years earlier than that incident. He was probably the biggest blight on the game (and still is to be fair) in the last 100 years.

The Tank

Bench
What a great hit. Finally a very slow version which shows that it was a legal tackle. Nice hit Crocker!

Matty P

Juniors
Absolute ripper of a hit. Stewart just happened to be in the wrong position at the wrong time.....

slater is as much as a mangy dog as croker, if he was fair dinkum he would have been looking up towards the ball and would have gone for the ball, the same as stewart had.

if you look at the vid slater was lining him up to wrap him up so that croker could lead with the elbow and shoulder to squash his head, there is no doubt in the world that the mangy dogs from melbourne were coached to take out stewart.

the mangy dogs could not win it fair and square, they had to take out an opposition player to make it easier for the gutless pricks to win

.....and no i do not have my maroon and white glasses on, and i have waited a few days so that i could post with no blinkered anger, i realise at that stage that melbourne were on top and we were staring down the barrell, but at that stage we were still a chance,as we have generally made huge comebacks in the second half all season......but the spineless gutless pricks from melbourne,could not win it on their own merits

borat

Bench
Fair dinkum some of you manly supporters are a pack of girls blouses. Stewart stood there with his feet planted and was a target waiting to be smashed and smashed he was. If Stewart had jumped to catch the ball he would have been fine.

If you can't accept that this was a tough legal hit then maybe league isn't the game for you.

mate i have no problem with good old fashioned toughness......but the bottom line is that melbourne were too gutless to win the grand final on their own merits, they had to resort to take out one of our gun strike players (who all year has been instrumental in our second half comebacks) in a dog act of a tackle

Spike

First Grade
I was wondering the same considering it wasn't a cheap shot. Fullbacks are fair game so long as they're not in mid air at the time.

So what are you personally going to do to reverse or influence future decisions based on tackles of a similar nature?

Latest posts