What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Dogs big guns set to walk …(Eels related)

lucablight

First Grade
Dogs big guns set to walk …

* Email
* Print
* Normal font
* Large font

Adrian Proszenko
February 4, 2007
AdvertisementAdvertisement

PARRAMATTA are set to offer Mark O'Meley $400,000 a year and fellow Bulldogs Hazem El Masri and Matt Utai are poised to follow him out the door in what looms as the biggest exodus of talent from Belmore since the Super League war.

O'Meley is off contract at the end of the season and is already one of the most in-demand players in the transfer market.

Five clubs have sounded out his manager, Wayne Beavis, after the Kangaroos prop rejected the Bulldogs' initial offer, believed to be $300,000.

The Eels are desperate to bolster their forward stocks after losing Michael Vella, Glenn Morrison and Paul Stringer last year and have made O'Meley's signature their top priority.

Beavis will not entertain offers from rival clubs while talks with the Bulldogs are continuing, but Belmore officials haven't the funds to match the big money on offer elsewhere.

They have known for at least a year that O'Meley expected to be looked after financially.

When asked about the Eels' interest, Beavis said: "I haven't had any formal discussions with Parramatta. I haven't talked to a coach or anything like that.

"I think it's fair to say that there are plenty of clubs [interested].

"If he makes the decision to leave Canterbury [rival clubs] will talk to him."

O'Meley had said he didn't want speculation about his future distracting him from his preparations for this season.

"[The Bulldogs] made an offer," he said. "We're just sitting back now.

"Over the next month or so I'll probably know more about what's going on.

"For me, my priority now is to get fit. It's five weeks till we play, so that's my main concern.

"If a good deal [from the Bulldogs] gets put up, I'll probably accept it. If not … we'll just have to worry about the season coming up."

The 25-year-old said he hoped a deal would be struck before the season kicks off next month.

"That is my goal, to have it done before round one, but that's getting closer and closer," he said.

"I'll sit at home and have a think about my approach and where I want to be later in my career."

O'Meley's likely departure is only the beginning of the bad news for Bulldogs fans. Prolific winger El Masri is also tipped to leave after he was offered a deal well below his market value.

The loss of El Masri would be a massive blow for the club, not only because of his prolific pointscoring, but also because of his status as one of the club's most marketable stars.

The devout Muslim is a favourite with the club's large Lebanese fan base and is one of the senior ambassadors for the game.

Sources close to El Masri said he was disappointed Bulldogs officials had blocked him from representing Lebanon at the 2008 World Cup, a move that may have implications in contract negotiations.

The Bulldogs have offered Kiwi international Utai a contract extension when his term expires at the end of the season but it is unlikely to be enough to retain him.

Stalwart hooker Corey Hughes is also on the outer at Belmore and will be cut at the end of the season.

If, as expected, all four leave the club it will be the biggest turnover in player talent since Dean Pay, Jarrod McCracken, Jason Smith and Jim Dymock left for Parramatta at the height of the Super League war at the end of 1995.

The only good news for Bulldogs fans is that superstar Sonny Bill Williams is close to agreeing to a three-year deal.

source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/d...1169919584259.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Eelementary

Post Whore
:shock:

Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap

*breath*

Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap
Holycrapholycrap!!!!!

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Awesome stuff!

I would throw everything into it. $400K is reasonable considering what he will do for the club. You can't place enough emphasis on the buying the best prop in the world but also someone who is a winner.

Young blokes like Cordoba, Oake, Hauraki would go nuts playing along side him.

We need to snap him up, he would be the biggest buy ever for me!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
*awaits people saying that it's too much money and we should just persist with Cayless, Hindy, Tai, Oake* lol

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
*awaits people saying that it's too much money and we should just persist with Cayless, Hindy, Tai, Oake* lol

You get what you pay for these days, It definitely wouldn't be too much.

Parra has an abundance of talent but have lacked that someone special.

To me there are only a select few in this comp that have that about them.

Lockyer, Johns, Mason, O'Meally, Thurston are the most valuable and can single handedly create a winning culture in a team.

I would go one step further and suggest parra match any offer by any team.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
About time we signed some grunt, instead of the usual 90kg backrowers.

The problems we've had in finals imo can be attributed to our "soft pack". Imagine the likes of Fui, Cayless, Hindy, O'Meley running around in our side?

Sorry but oake, Zeb wouldn't even register a sh*t stain compared to O'Meley at full potential.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
About time we made some astute signings in the forwards.

The lightweight packs do not work, just look at Melbourne, Brisbane, Cantebury ffs even Canberra look more intimidating!

I reckon if we get O'Meley, then we should look at a gun centre or winger

COACH STERLING

Juniors
To be fair, Some of our young guns have talent, but there's no guarantees that they will produce premiership Glory. Shrek would give us that added grunt we need.

My Dream 2008 Pack would look like:

O'Meally
Riddell
N Cayless
Hindmarsh
Cannings
Mateo

J Cayless (we'll get him back)
PJ
Cordoba
Fui Fui

I would let Wagon & Robinson go to free up the cash.....simple and logical equation to me.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
COACH STERLING said:
To be fair, Some of our young guns have talent, but there's no guarantees that they will produce premiership Glory. Shrek would give us that added grunt we need.

My Dream 2008 Pack would look like:

O'Meally
Riddell
N Cayless
Hindmarsh
Cannings
Mateo

J Cayless (we'll get him back)
PJ
Cordoba
Fui Fui

I would let Wagon & Robinson go to free up the cash.....simple and logical equation to me.

Great pack!

That's is the side i'd have aswell. Couldn't agree with you more on Wagon and Robinson aswell. Also I Hindy will be gornskies aswell.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think alot of you have really gone off half cocked on this one, Personally I'll take the article with extreme skeptasism allthough I do find it inteteresting though.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
So do i eela, but it's from smh.....not the Telegraph so i believe there may be an element of truth in it...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
So do i eela, but it's from smh.....not the Telegraph so i believe there may be an element of truth in it...

let's say for instance MOM was Hindy and the club offering the dosh was the Dogs for the amount mentioned, what would your reaction be???...mine would be meh! I see no direct quote from the club supposedly on the verge of making the offer..

grain of salt.

Also, nameing a club without much substance is the oldest trick in the book for any player manager to try and give agents current club a tickle up!!

Gronk

Staff member
No surprise that we will be offering the big $$ for Shrek. After all its no secret that we offered similar dosh for Roy Asotasi.

cardinal

Juniors
Would be nice to have him on board as long as it means we lose some older players like Robbo and not the younger ones like Cordoba. I am not getting to excited yet I think we will see the Roosters, Manly and Cronulla for that matter come up with some serious offers. Not sure if throwing that amount of money at a front rower is a great idea, we have some depth in the forwards, but if Tim and Finch have crap years I think we might need to be cashed up for a half or 5/8 as the depth is a bit thin there.

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
let's say for instance MOM was Hindy and the club offering the dosh was the Dogs for the amount mentioned, what would your reaction be???...mine would be meh! I see no direct quote from the club supposedly on the verge of making the offer..

grain of salt.

Also, nameing a club without much substance is the oldest trick in the book for any player manager to try and give agents current club a tickle up!!
exactly

Parra Guru

Coach
eelavation said:

Steve Simpson-esque

Although it would be nice :lol: