What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Dogs big guns set to walk …(Eels related)

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Phillips said:
seriously, Tonga was already better and had 10 times the amount of potential than Vaealiki at that stage

We all knew how good tonga was long before the dogs took him, but to be fair Vaealiki at the time was going great guns.

I thought parra are usually quiet about who they are after on the player market, so its unusual to suddenly see this article, but wow wouldnt it be a signing and a half if we pulled it off :D

parra pete

Referee
If the Club knew Lyon was going to walk Tonga would have been signed. He was given double the amount he was on at Parra and the Dogs had just lost a couple of centres..Opportunity was the buzz word for him, plus money in the bank.
Ryan was offered a bucketful more cash to join the Bulldogs when they were paying 'under the lap'...He had a contract..they had to honour it when it became known they were cheating the system..
You can't keep them all....

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
We all knew how good tonga was long before the dogs took him, but to be fair Vaealiki at the time was going great guns.

I thought parra are usually quiet about who they are after on the player market, so its unusual to suddenly see this article, but wow wouldnt it be a signing and a half if we pulled it off :D

well...if you find a direct quote from someone at our club let me know? ;-)

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
eelavation said:
well...if you find a direct quote from someone at our club let me know? ;-)

Exactly, hence why there is no point reading into any of it to much. If we do manage to sign him then awsome, pats on backs all round, but if we dont sign him then its just another manager fed beat up, which happens way to often these days. :sarcasm:

Stagger eel

Staff member
BlueNGoldBlood said:
Exactly, hence why there is no point reading into any of it to much. If we do manage to sign him then awsome, pats on backs all round, but if we dont sign him then its just another manager fed beat up, which happens way to often these days. :sarcasm:

I'll say from the outset that I do find the article interesting but with a great deal of skeptisism, but if anyone wants a conspiracy theory here it is..

1] an unreliable source did tell me at Christmas that it's done deal at Parra.

2] MOM's manager is Wayne Beavis who's a Parra fan and a mate of Fitzy's and is at just about every home game being schmoozed in the corporate box [but than again they all get the same treatment]

3] MOM's best mate is Paul Stringer who had a 2 year stint at the club.

4] I will concede that we're definitely in need and are looking for a blue chip frontrower.

5] Our name has know been linked to him in the paper.

there you go..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
MOM would be a massive signing for us, a bit more agression and mongrel in the pack. There'll be a heap of clubs after him, so the big winner will be Mark O'mealey's bank balance.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
eelavation said:
I'll say from the outset that I do find the article interesting but with a great deal of skeptisism, but if anyone wants a conspiracy theory here it is..

1] an unreliable source did tell me at Christmas that it's done deal at Parra.

2] MOM's manager is Wayne Beavis who's a Parra fan and a mate of Fitzy's and is at just about every home game being schmoozed in the corporate box [but than again they all get the same treatment]

3] MOM's best mate is Paul Stringer who had a 2 year stint at the club.

4] I will concede that we're definitely in need and are looking for a blue chip frontrower.

5] Our name has know been linked to him in the paper.

there you go..
You forget the ;-)

and plenty of :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

looks like it is slowly coming together though by the sounds of it, but then didn't the same thing happen with that centre we shall not name

I would be very happy with his signing but ATM i wont get to carried away.

The Colonel

Immortal
I reckon DT writers inhabit the the LU forum just quietly. O'Meley not happy, forum users post how keen they are to get him to the club during last week, article appears on Sunday about how we are poised to offer huge deal with no direct quote from anyone within the club.....

The past 18 months the club has been very concerned about not getting into a bidding war through the papers over attracting players. It frustrated many of us last season but it is something I believe the club will focus on.

That said, it it does happen to be true I'd be more than happy. $400k seems a bit steep - I don't think he is as good as Asotasi but he is among the top front rowers in the game. If thats the overall package though with incentives..... great.

lucablight

First Grade
caylo said:
Phillips Vaealiki was rated one of the best centres in the comp, even before he left parramatta he was still playing well, injuries got the better of him though. tonga can't defend, he is hopless and i think he is over-rated. I prefer Tahu and Smithy in the centres. I remember a canberra game for us, where they tore him to shreads in defence...

I strongly disagree with that. For mine Vaeleki was a one year wonder.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is he worth it? In my opinion, yes. Why?

* He's a Premiership-winning prop;

* A NSW regular;

* An Australian regular;

* He'll be 26 this year.

If we stitch him up to a long-term deal (provided that we do actually chase after him), it could be a smart move.

Utey

Coach
Money talks, money walks. I guess the days of a player genuinely wanting to play for a club are gone.

StEely Matt

Juniors
This article reminds of one in the Telegraph a few years ago (maybe more than that) about how we were "poised" to sigh Brent Sherwin and offer him a great deal such as this...

I don't want to read into this article too much... I agree with Eela - wait for some direct quotes from our club or MOM...

Although he would be a GREAT signing... $400K a year for 3yrs MAX

Ron Jeremy

Coach
People don't think O'Meley isn't worth $400,000 at 27,28 & 29? fmd, he's a SOO prop, Australian prop, and probably the most intimidating frontrower in the world.

Stop being tight asses, how many of these calibre props wouldn't come at a similar price? ffs Mason would attract almost $500,000 on the market, Asotasi deal was not far of that.

You could make an hour long highlights film of O'Meley running over the top of Vella and Parramatta alone, not to mention an other hour him smashing the crap out of our fowards.

scenario, what would you like?

a) keep Wagon & Robinson and don't worry about O'Meley
b) Buy O'Meley and turf wags and robbo
c) turf all of them and hope for the best something comes avaliable on the open market

I think any decent judge could see that option b is by far and away the best alternative.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
People don't think O'Meley isn't worth $400,000 at 27,28 & 29? fmd, he's a SOO prop, Australian prop, and probably the most intimidating frontrower in the world.

Stop being tight asses, how many of these calibre props wouldn't come at a similar price? ffs Mason would attract almost $500,000 on the market, Asotasi deal was not far of that.

You could make an hour long highlights film of O'Meley running over the top of Vella and Parramatta alone, not to mention an other hour him smashing the crap out of our fowards.

scenario, what would you like?

a) keep Wagon & Robinson and don't worry about O'Meley
b) Buy O'Meley and turf wags and robbo
c) turf all of them and hope for the best something comes avaliable on the open market

I think any decent judge could see that option b is by far and away the best alternative.
Lock in B Eddie.

caylo

Bench
I think OMealy should be top of the list.
if fa'aoso weller or taia don't perform we should go on the market for a backrower.
if reddy inu or lett dont perform id also go after fullnack/winger/centre.
if timmy or finch don't perform and blake doesn't step up, we are f**kd... lol

now on a serious note. i want to see one of the 3 backrowers mention partnering hindy some time next year, and i want on eof the 3 outside backs promoted to in place of burt.
i think this is going to help the dynamic of the team, and all these player have real promise. Realy all we are lacking is a MOM type prop.
He is only 26, which realisticlly is the prime of his carrer. I can see him joining us, and us being close to unstoppable. But like it has been mentioned we can't get caried away as it is only speculation

Pazza

First Grade
we could aford him without dumping anyone. i'd love to keep robbo, such a tough physical defender. ideal for me would be,

8.cayless
9.Riddell
10.o'merley
11.hindmarsh
12.hindmarsh
13.robinson

14.marsh
15.mateo
16.tsoulos
17.moi moi

Latest posts