What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Dogs big guns set to walk …(Eels related)

cardinal

Juniors
parramatta_eels_123 said:
if retain all the 07 players that should be out team

1.Luke Burt
2.Jarryd Hayne
3.Timana Tahu
4.Ben Smith
5.Eric Grothe
6.Brett Finch
7.Tim Smith
8.Nathan Cayless
9.Mark Riddell
10.Mark O'Meley
11.Nathan Hindmarsh
12.Richard Fa'osa
13.Chad Robinson

14.PJ Marsh
15.Feleti Mateo
16.Josh Cordoba
17.Fuifui Moimoi

If we sign O'meley I don't think there will be enough money to keep Tahu, and if Mateo has the season I am hoping he will be asking big money.

MrT

Juniors
We probably have more money up our sleeve than you think. Dont forget we made major plays for Lyon, Asotasi, Creagh, Poore, Sims. We got none of them.

Wagon is off contract and will free up considerable $$

stuke

Bench
COACH STERLING said:
I think Angry Eels means it will be a more attractive place to come with Hages as Supercoach, and i would agree.

not to many players were rushing to sign for Hages at Newcastle.

even when he did have some money at his disposal all he attracted was Reynoldsen, who probably was attracted by Hagan as QLD coach at the time, and they paid massive overs for him anyway!

Pazza

First Grade
how could newcastle sing anyone with players like Johns, Buderus, Gidley and perry taking up most of the cap?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Exactly, Newcastle didn't buy of the shelf like Brian, they relied on there juniors and the likes of Johns, Burderus, Kennedy, Simpson, Gidley etc.......all those players alone would've cost them a heap

Pazza

First Grade
MOM is the only signing we need, we are weak in the front row when Moi Moi is suspended. We are strong across the paddock except for Prop, what better than to sign one of the comps best props. Plus letting go of vella must of freed up 250000

Stagger eel

Staff member
when both Vella and Wags signed their last contracts in 2005, both took pay cuts from their previous deals, they're definitely not on the sort of money you think.

Hellsy

Immortal
cardinal said:
If we sign O'meley I don't think there will be enough money to keep Tahu, and if Mateo has the season I am hoping he will be asking big money.
and wasn't he thinking of Union or something anyway?

The Colonel

Immortal
stuke said:

even when he did have some money at his disposal all he attracted was Reynoldsen, who probably was attracted by Hagan as QLD coach at the time, and they paid massive overs for him anyway!

Name 5 BIG name players that Newcastle have signed in their time in the NRL, that they didn't develop at the club or weren't nearing the end of their careers. I think you'll struggle - they have nearly always relied on players from within the district or picked up a few up and coming players like Ainscough and Butterfield. They did sign Fairleigh and Steve Walters at the end of their careers.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
stuke said:

Give me a reason why players wouldn't want to play under Hagan.....I can't think of any.

There was never any dough at Newcastle for Hages to go shopping.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Quote=BlueNGoldBlood]Unfortunately, that is a very big IF.

Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of cannings when we bought him, but so far he just hasnt done enough..or anything really :oops:[/quote]

It certainly is a big IF.

But hypothetically, what sort of season would he have if he was fit for all of the games?

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Originally posted by COACH STERLING

It certainly is a big IF.

But hypothetically, what sort of season would he have if he was fit for all of the games?

IF he remains fit for the whole season then i can't see why cannings can't return to form that he came to us with.

Well i hope he does anyway, cause he could potentially be that other prop that rotates with moi moi :D

Pazza

First Grade
great part about parra is he wouldn't have to relocate his family. Abit of a no brainer if he decides to leave the bulldogs. I'dalso ove to see Utai in eels colours but i dont think we NEED him but:

1.hayne
2.utai
3.smith
4.tahu
5.grothe
6.finch
7.smith
8.cayless
9.riddell
10.omerley
11.hindmarsh
12.robinson
13.mateo

14.marsh
15.???????
16.Moi Moi
17.?????????

would be a lovely side :-D

Pazza

First Grade
eelavation said:
when both Vella and Wags signed their last contracts in 2005, both took pay cuts from their previous deals, they're definitely not on the sort of money you think.

i'd imagine vella was on 250000 - 200000 and wags on 150000 - 200000. plus most of the players in our squad would be on contracts below 200000. i think we have some money to spend

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
i'd imagine vella was on 250000 - 200000 and wags on 150000 - 200000. plus most of the players in our squad would be on contracts below 200000. i think we have some money to spend

I think you're being generous. ;-) ...especially on Vella's paypacket

Pazza

First Grade
maybe i am but he was a AUS/NSW player, dally m rookie of the year, parra juniour and leader in the side with a few good seasons under his belt you could imagine at one piont he was earning over 200k a season.

but you agree we have the money to chase mom?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
maybe i am but he was a AUS/NSW player, dally m rookie of the year, parra juniour and leader in the side with a few good seasons under his belt you could imagine at one piont he was earning over 200k a season.

but you agree we have the money to chase mom?

prior to Vella's contract that ended at the end of 2005, most definitely but from what i understand he took a reasonably big pay cut to re sign which also included the famous "English club" clause on his contract which off course we all know now he's taken up.

I've racked my brain for months and tried to work out how much our individual player contracts are worth and you can bet your bottom doller you'd be way off all the time, anyone here who believe how much A to Z are worth are playing with themselves ;-), therefore in saying all that I'd like to think that they do have enough money for 1 or 2 marquee players but in all honesty, i don't really know.

Bigfella

Coach
Eela - probably my pet hate is people making assumptions about what players are on / what they were offered / how much they signes for elsewhere.

Without knowing the facts - you can't really criticise retention / releasing / acquisition of players.

Prime example was Brad Drew - people bagges BS for letting him go. But the word I heard was that he demanded $300K a season, and to play halfback.

Given that we signed him for far less than that, and played him with great success as a hooker - you could understand why he was let go.

Mind you - I don't know for a fact whether those things are true either, so my argument is just as flawed.

The whole debate about Tonga / Lyon / Vaieleki etc is similar.

If you don't know the facts you can't fairly criticise.

Of course it never stops people like Hadley running their own agendas to criticise individuals they have personal issues with. And of course they can play the card that they are "in the know" because they are mates with x t the club, or have "sources" .

Stagger eel

Staff member
exactly...it's merely another avenue to vent your frustrations but in the fairdinkum department none of us really know too much about facts and figures unless they see them themselves, even some of the media reports can be farcical.

I was actually told by someone within the club that both Wags and Vella were signed to bargain basement deals but obviously couldn't give you any definitive figure and I don't think anyone but a handful of people can.

strider

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
Eela - probably my pet hate is people making assumptions about what players are on / what they were offered / how much they signes for elsewhere.

Without knowing the facts - you can't really criticise retention / releasing / acquisition of players.

Prime example was Brad Drew - people bagges BS for letting him go. But the word I heard was that he demanded $300K a season, and to play halfback.

Given that we signed him for far less than that, and played him with great success as a hooker - you could understand why he was let go.

Mind you - I don't know for a fact whether those things are true either, so my argument is just as flawed.

The whole debate about Tonga / Lyon / Vaieleki etc is similar.

If you don't know the facts you can't fairly criticise.

Of course it never stops people like Hadley running their own agendas to criticise individuals they have personal issues with. And of course they can play the card that they are "in the know" because they are mates with x t the club, or have "sources" .
dood - u talk far too much sense to be posting on here :lol: