What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Finch asks for time to develop at Eels

Finch asks for time to develop at Eels

Parramatta recruit Brett Finch has asked for patience as he and Tim Smith battle to form a successful halves partnership.
Former NSW halfback Finch has been forced into the five-eighth role at the Eels where his combination with former rookie of the year Tim Smith will play a pivotal role in how Parramatta performs in 2007.

Finch and Smith were outplayed by Gold Coast Titans skipper Scott Prince in last Saturday's trial loss in Lismore, former Sydney Rooster Finch however believes there were some positive signs for the Eels duo.

"We've got a few things to work on but we're pretty happy with it," said Finch of his first up performance.
"I thought maybe our concentration slipped away at the end there, a few errors, but we defended great and the attack was pretty promising too."

Despite booting NSW to an Origin win last year, Finch, 25, wore the brunt of constant criticism for his form at club level with the Roosters.
He knows the move west to Parramatta won't get the critics off his back, but he hopes the knives don't come out too quickly and he and his 21-year-old halves partner are given adequate time to get their games moving in tandem.
"It takes a while to get a good combination going with anyone," said Finch.
"We haven't played for six months. It might take an extra couple of weeks but we combined pretty well together.
"We've got a few kinks to iron out as a team and a few little combinations (to form) as well but we're pretty happy."

Eels coach Michael Hagan said he was happy with the early signs for all his new players and combinations.
"We are still learning to play with each other ... there's a little bit of cohesion to be sorted out but some pretty positive things there for us," he said.

Finch faces a baptism of fire this Saturday night when he clashes with his former teammates for the first time as the Eels meet the Roosters at Gosford.
Hagan spoke to Finch about playing against his old mates and both agreed there was nothing to be concerned about.
"He's not really too concerned because a few of the blokes he spent a lot of time at the club with have moved on," said Hagan.
"The coach has moved on as well, so it doesn't really hold the same sort of interest for that reason.
"You'd probably rather come up against your old club sooner rather than later."
© 2007 AAP
Brought to you by
aaplogo.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Finch-asks-for-time-to-develop-at-Eels/2007/02/26/1172338539442.html

The Colonel

Immortal
He at least acknowledges that there is a bit of work to do but that he wants to do it. The first few weeks will be interesting but short term pain will hopefully ensure a long term gain.....

eel4life

Juniors
Trials are good to blow out the cobwebs and to see how and what needs to be worked on, hopefully we can have a better performance and result to help boost the confidence in the team for round 1.

Stagger eel

Staff member
good on him for realising it, I'm actually expecting and accept little bit of short term pain, problem is there are plenty out there who won't.

it'll be very interesting.

Utey

Coach
Give them as much time as they need, if we persist, good things usually happen at Parra.

cardinal

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Give them as much time as they need, if we persist, good things usually happen at Parra.

Usually, Just as long as they tun out better than Andrew Mcfadden and Dykes.

eel4life

Juniors
Finch is a big game player, he actually has it in him, he has done well in sate of origin and he has played in couple of grand finals.

He will be ok for parra, we have to be patient Hagan is a good coach i like how he has given the young kids we have a sniff and he has said if you are good enough your old enough.

if we can stay healthy this year we are going to have a decent crack at it, all we have to do is get in the top 5 and i believe we have the talent to cause some damage when the time is near.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I'm not expecting them to gel probably till mid year. In the meantime it will probably be inconsistency on both parts.

stuke

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:

i agree. they will need time to gel, and i hope we persist with the pairing as i am genuinely expecting it be a success. they will need time though!

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
It may take awhile for our halves to gel properly together, could be 1 round or who knows how long.

IMO though when our halves pairing does gel together, they will be VERY dangerous.

Both Finch and Timmy have a kind of ad lib style to their play which could cause other teams a lot of pain.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
BlueNGoldBlood said:
It may take awhile for our halves to gel properly together, could be 1 round or who knows how long.

IMO though when our halves pairing does gel together, they will be VERY dangerous.

Both Finch and Timmy have a kind of ad lib style to their play which could cause other teams a lot of pain.

Cause us alot of pain aswell:lol:

Utey

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Even maybe swappign Smith & Finckh around may prove dividends.

Apparently Tim played ok at 5/8?

Theres not many sides anymore which play with a dominant playmaker ala Johns, Lockyer. You'll find most halves and 5/8's swap with one another at some time. I'am sure we will see plenty of Finch at first recieved and vice versa with Tim.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Survivor said:
When Finch was at the Roosters you blokes and everyone else used to bag him endlessly. :lol:

I didn't, I used to bag the way Stuart coached him and others.

last year we saw.

* Finch at Hooker and off the bench.

* Cross on the wing

* Wing at Centre

* Anasta at five-eight [when he's clearly a lock]

* Fitzgibben at prop

now who's faults that???

The Survivor

Juniors
I'll have to take your word for that. Be prepared for some real frustration with Finch. For every good thing he does he'll do 5 bad things.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Survivor said:
I'll have to take your word for that. Be prepared for some real frustration with Finch. For every good thing he does he'll do 5 bad things.

We're not worried about that.
We've had years of half backs like that.

Suity

Latest posts