What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Grothe in Origin frame

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Suitman said:
Completely understand that logic, but a 31 y.o. who more than like won't ever play another game?
This selection smacks of tokenism.

FFS??

Suity

FFS what tokenism ????
we have lost a goalkicker and a back - hazim is the best qualified to cover both jobs.

for those saying that eric should be picked - would you also mind nominating which blues player will be the goalkicker?

Tyler Durden

Juniors
kidley will spend half the game on the bench while hazim will be on the field for the full 80.

kimmorley and hayne - not even good enough to kick for their clubs and origin is not really the time to prove if you can kick under pressure.

Suitman

Post Whore
Tyler Durden said:
FFS what tokenism ????
we have lost a goalkicker and a back - hazim is the best qualified to cover both jobs.

for those saying that eric should be picked - would you also mind nominating which blues player will be the goalkicker?

You haven't answered this......................

Suitman said:
Completely understand that logic, but a 31 y.o. who more than like won't ever play another game?

It's just dumb to pick El Masri at this stage of his career.

It offers NSW nothing for the future, in a series we have already lost.

I'd rather lose the next game by a missed goal kick and have played someone who will help us win next year.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
i think hasem is a good reliable player and he'll probably go just fine

but I agree with the why the hell put a 31 yr old in a dead 3rd game? you'd be much better off blooding someone for the future

there are plenty of other players who can offer as much as he can .... our selectors weren't all worried about goal kicking before (cos lets face it lyon is pretty average in that dept) - why is it suddenly an issue?

as for putting up with belly for 12 months - well we have to do that anyway :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Tyler Durden said:
kidley will spend half the game on the bench while hazim will be on the field for the full 80.

kimmorley and hayne - not even good enough to kick for their clubs and origin is not really the time to prove if you can kick under pressure.

Kimmorley is a 75% kicker who has kicked goals in semi finals and grand finals...El Masri is not that much better a kicker than the like of Kimmorley this year anyway.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Suitman said:

I'd rather lose the next game by a missed goal kick and have played someone who will help us win next year.

Ok, so you are guaranteeing that El Masri won't be picked next year, are you?

And even if Grothe does get picked next year he won't play any worse for not playing in this game. Why not? Because it's bloody Eric Grothe - he does the same thing every week no matter what. He doesn't learn. He hasn't learned when to come in off his wing, hasn't learned when to hold on to the ball. One extra game of Origin this year isn't going to teach him anything.

He is the most damaging ball-running winger around, but that won't change just because he missed Origin 3.

I thought it was hilarious that for the last two weeks people have been saying Lyon out, Grothe in. It shows total and utter contempt for the skill and importance of goalkicking. Lyon's not even good enough to be an Origin goalkicker, El Masri should have been there from game 1.

If you can find a young goalkicker that deserves a centre or wing spot then fair enough.

Tokenism? Rubbish. El Masri deserves it. I hope he kills it.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bazal said:
Kimmorley is a 75% kicker who has kicked goals in semi finals and grand finals...
What year?
And when Kimmorley was dropped it wasn't just because he threw that intercept. It was because he didn't want to take a kick that could have won us the game. He bottled it.

El Masri is not that much better a kicker than the like of Kimmorley this year anyway.
Umm... Luke Covell kicks for the Sharks this year mate.

Bazal

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:

Umm... Luke Covell kicks for the Sharks this year mate.

Really....Ya think? :roll: Now I could've sworn it was Wayne Bartrim...

Brett Kimmorley is a decent goal kicker, at least as good as Cam Smith who was the QLD kicker for ages, and he's in the team already. Why do you need El Masri? Why pick an over the hill 31 year old over arguably the best winger in the game? It's really not a difficult point I;m making here, although it does seem to be beyond yourself. Does no one realise that you need to be able to score tries to convert the fugging things? We aren't playing Union here...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
Eela.

1. Going into this game, who had the better form on the board?
2. The series is over, why pick a 31 y.o. who may never play Origin again?
3. Why pick a player who has never played Origin, over someone with several games experience?
4. Grothe or El Masri out of dummy half from out own line. Size and strength. Who would you prefer?

It is plainly obvious that they have gone for a goal kicker and a goal kicker only.

And in one breath you say that you are more concerned about what the selectors think rather than what the papers say, and yet you confirm that a player got an armchair ride into the team by those very same selectors.
Make up your mind.

Suity

1 on par, both playing good solid football, but Haz edges him in the point scoring stake.
2 because you don't cheapen an Origin jersey by throwing a bunch of young blokes in there, btw, Eric is 27, turning 28 next year..hardly looking to the future there don't you think??
3 because he deserves his shot.
4 Grothe [but point 1 is the clincher, despite the fact that I've already said three times over I would of been happy with either]

whether i agree with their selections or not I'm more concerned about the opinion of selectors than I am about yesterdays newspapers.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Suitman said:

Suity

looks like you've highlighted the reason why we differ:

I'd rather NSW win game 3 right now.
And I don't select the 2008 team based on their form in July 2007.

The Colonel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:
where's this question :who would you rather taking a shot from the sideline in the dying seconds with the scores tied ?

To take the conversion shot you have to have scored in the first place. Hazem isn't the sort of player who can create a try nor put the team in a position to do it. He is a finisher but there isn't enough players in the NSW team at the moment who can take advantage of a good finisher.

The NSW tries this year have been individual rather than team efforts and that doesn't seem to have been changed nor been improved based on selections for this game either.

Eelavation said:
3 because he deserves his shot.

Based on? He may have deserved City selection but nothing in his career outside of being a good goalkicker has suggested he deserve an Origin jersey. He gets by for the Dogs out on the wing with strong inside defenders but he can be caught out defensively, he isn't particularly fast and doesn't offer much from dummy half.

Matt Geyer is in better form and is probably more deserving IMO. It is a token selection in the last game of the series. Had they been worried about goalkicking in the first place then he would have made Game 1.

Bigfella

Coach
The most important job a winger does in Origin is make metres, whether from kick returns or hit ups.

Hazem or Geyer don't come anywhere near Grothe in this department. The loss of Grothe Tahu and Gasnier from last years side is a huge reason why we have been so much worse this series IMO.

As safe as Stewart may have been in game II I thought his kick returns were slow and didn't take on the line. Add to this the follow up hit ups by El Masri and I think we will be very exposed with kicks to that wing.

Hayne did very well and plays above his weight in this department, but with Cooper next to him it is not the most intimidating of returns either.

Compare it to Hunt crashing back his kick returns, backed up by Tate, Inglis, Bell and Hodges.

I can see Queensland slowly asserting their authority over the 80 minutes again, especially as we have now dropped another prop.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
Hazem or Geyer don't come anywhere near Grothe in this department.

I agree totally. I just think if Hazem's selection is deserved than Geyer should feel aggrieved as his form has been far better than that of El Masri.

Grothe should have been picked well ahead of either of them.

The Colonel

Immortal
Natalie's Daddy said:
I agree with El Masri's selection. Grothe is a big liability and he has shown little enthusiasm to chase down kicks.

Name a winger, and not a centre who is playing on the wing, that isn't a liability......

El Masri's selection is a token selection, plain and simple. If it wasn't then he would have been picked in game one.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hazem has obviously been picked as a goal kicker

if King was out we'd no doubt see Guru in there

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:

Suity

Personally, I'm happy that El Masri is getting a run in SOO. he deserves it, has been one of the NRL's most consistant wingers for how long now, and probably should have played before.

Latest posts