What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Grothe in Origin frame

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
fish eel said:
off the top of my head I'll give you Mick Devere, Jason Moodie and Luke Rooney as 3 wingers I think El Masri is better than that were picked ahead of him.

Not sure if Luke Lewis played on the wing in SOO or in the centres (which is where I think he did). If he played on the wing, then add him to the list.

Add Matt King to that list!

Should always have been picked in the centres or not at all.

EL Masri should have been picked in the first game, but they picked that useless fool Lyon and left poor Matt King playing in a position that he never plays anymore.

Stagger eel

Staff member
forget about the try and his kicking for a moment, the "token selection" had dismantled atleast three raids down his side of the field, great game and deserved his spot.

strider

Post Whore
he played very well - no mistakes all game and made some very good calls to run up in defence and stop potential try scoring opportunities (which coincidently i think eric could have stuffed up :lol:) ..... having said that, not trying to put him down cos i think he had a great game, but he didn't offer a whole lot in attack and running the ball back after kicks, but that probably wasn't needed, so its no biggy

Bigfella

Coach
He made a couple of good reads and tackles. He got stood up once but came back to make the tackle.

If he made 20 metres in the whole game I'd be surprised. Didn;t go looking for work and when he did run from dummy half got dominated behind the advantage line.

May as well have come on to take the kicks and gone back off IMO.

the Telegraph gave him the same rating as Hayne?

They were on different planets in what they contributed as wingers.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree BigFella!

If one doesn't get caught up in the excitement of having our 3 sideline tries converted, then Hazem did pretty much nothing that any other winger wouldn't have done...

YES - he rushed up 3 times and shut down a raid, but the ball out to the man he hit each time was loooong and loooopy --> I'm tipping only Paul Carige could've messed up the read on that!

I think he also benefited from Thurstons poor game, and the fact Inglis went off.
Twice Thurston stabbed a kick in behind Hazem, and both times it was far too long - but the Qld chasers were arriving quickly - put a 'normal' Thurston kick and a 'normal' Inglis on and it's try/ try.

But good on Hazem - best kicker ever, sound defensive performance - and he now owns a sky Blue Jersey.
But as good a game as Hayne?

The Colonel

Immortal
Still a token selection and not worth the accolades he got this morning. 100-1 he won't get a gig next year. Telegraph rates him an 8 alongside Hayne and that is laughable at best..... he had a decent game but it wasn't that good. His contributions in attack were virtually non existent.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Still a token selection and not worth the accolades he got this morning. 100-1 he won't get a gig next year. Telegraph rates him an 8 alongside Hayne and that is laughable at best..... he had a decent game but it wasn't that good. His contributions in attack were virtually non existent.

Completely agree with Bigfella, OMC and Colonel.

Not to take anything away from him, but I stand by my claim that if he wasn't a goalkicker, he wouldn't have been there.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:
Add Matt King to that list!

Should always have been picked in the centres or not at all.

EL Masri should have been picked in the first game, but they picked that useless fool Lyon and left poor Matt King playing in a position that he never plays anymore.

Such a shame he has only been picked on the wing during this series. Had easily his best game for NSW even taking into consideration the MOM performance in 2005. Great game.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
You guys are jokers. All you are doing is simply backing up your pre-game statements and are losing credibility fast.

Would another winger have shut down those raids? Maybe, maybe not. Hazam DID.
If anyone can sit there and say that Grothe definitely would have then they are liars. For all of Eric's good points defensive solidarity isn't at the top of the list.

You can't underestimate the value of those shots at goal. The game would have been totally different if the scores were tied, or even if we only had a 6 point lead (or worse, 4).

So, the question that really needs to be asked is: Do NSW have another player that could have kicked those goals AND been relied upon to shut down those Qld raids.

Please, answer this question - I want to know the name of this superstar who you would have picked.

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:
You guys are jokers. All you are doing is simply backing up your pre-game statements and are losing credibility fast.

Would another winger have shut down those raids? Maybe, maybe not. Hazam DID.
If anyone can sit there and say that Grothe definitely would have then they are liars. For all of Eric's good points defensive solidarity isn't at the top of the list.

You can't underestimate the value of those shots at goal. The game would have been totally different if the scores were tied, or even if we only had a 6 point lead (or worse, 4).

So, the question that really needs to be asked is: Do NSW have another player that could have kicked those goals AND been relied upon to shut down those Qld raids.

Please, answer this question - I want to know the name of this superstar who you would have picked.

:lol: I've said all along it wasn't about Grothe. I wouldn't have picked El Masri, fullstop, end of story. He was there for one reason - goalkicking which proved to be VERY helpful in the end.

He was ineffective from dummy half and when the NSW forwards were starting to tire a bigger winger would have been a damn site moreuseful than a bloke waiting on the wings to take the kicks.

I'd like to have seen what would have happened in the first two games when the Qlders weren't reduced to a one man bench.

Fact of the matter is he did reasonably well on three occassions but didn't offer much else in the way of attack and was helped IMO by the fact he had a very good defensive centre inside him and two wingers and a lock sitting in the Qld dressing sheds. Against 17 fit players it could have been a very different story.

The Colonel said:
:lol: I've said all along it wasn't about Grothe. I wouldn't have picked El Masri, fullstop, end of story. He was there for one reason - goalkicking which proved to be VERY helpful in the end.

He was ineffective from dummy half and when the NSW forwards were starting to tire a bigger winger would have been a damn site moreuseful than a bloke waiting on the wings to take the kicks.

I'd like to have seen what would have happened in the first two games when the Qlders weren't reduced to a one man bench.

Fact of the matter is he did reasonably well on three occassions but didn't offer much else in the way of attack and was helped IMO by the fact he had a very good defensive centre inside him and two wingers and a lock sitting in the Qld dressing sheds. Against 17 fit players it could have been a very different story.

And as gallant as we were in the 2nd half I was struggling to see how we were going to get past 4 points anyway...those NSW tries could have gone unconverted...wouldn't have made a difference.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
My post was funny was it Colonel?

Could have, should have, would have, if only Qld were fit, blah blah blah. Why don't we talk about what DID happen? Possibly because you guys were WRONG. Admit it.

EL Masri's job has NEVER been to make yards. FFS do we seriously need 17 clones out there on the field? If anyone cared to notice Matt King was back straight after the first kick to take the ball up. The players knew their jobs.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.. Pre-game everyone was saying Grothe. No-one could suggest another player that should have been picked.

So I ask again - please name me the player who can kick goals and be relied upon to make good calls in defence.

El Masri was the right man for the job, deserved his selection, and proved it.

Bigfella

Coach

No one else could have or would have kicked as well as El Masri.

IMO Any other winger currently playing NRL could have done what he did or better in terms of his actual wing play.

They certainly would have gone looking for more work.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Belly in Brisvegas said:
And as gallant as we were in the 2nd half I was struggling to see how we were going to get past 4 points anyway...those NSW tries could have gone unconverted...wouldn't have made a difference.

Oh please!! This from a Queenslander!

Ask any NSW player, official, fan - despite our dominance when we were leading by 6-4 we were still worried. One piece of Bowen or Thurston brilliance and the game is lost. 8-4 would have meant the same thing.

Without those conversions we were open for another Qld sucker-punch.

Bigfella said:
No one else could have or would have kicked as well as El Masri.

IMO Any other winger currently playing NRL could have done what he did or better in terms of his actual wing play.

They certainly would have gone looking for more work.

With regards to the points you made Luke Burt could have filled that role.

He goes looking for work...the amount of times he pops up for Parra looking for a loose pill you can almost lose count.

And we also know how his goal kicking is going.

Latest posts