What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH-Players on the Market for June 30...

Bazal

Post Whore
The market is open as transfer merry-go-round swings into action
Brad Walter
June 24, 2006

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/transfer-merrygoround-swings-into-action/2006/06/23/1150845382617.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

MORE than 10 representative stars head one of the biggest lists of players available to join rival clubs in what will be the NRL's final post-June 30 transfer period beginning next weekend.
Despite the flurry of players already having signed with other clubs or given permission to negotiate - prompting NRL chief executive David Gallop to this week advise of plans to scrap the anti-tampering rule - up to 70 footballers will wait until Saturday to test their value on the open market.
Among those still unsigned are Kiwi Test stars Roy Asotasi, Brent Webb and Jake Webster, Queensland Origin forwards Nate Myles and Jacob Lillyman, Kangaroos fullback Karmichael Hunt, former Maroons stars Clinton Schifcofske, Josh Hannay and Chris Walker and ex-Australia internationals Craig Fitzgibbon, Adam MacDougall and Richard Villasanti.
They would have been joined by Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello, St George Illawarra halfback Mathew Head and Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten but the big-name trio re-signed yesterday with their respective clubs.
Minichiello, who hopes to return from a back injury within the next six weeks, agreed to a contract extension which will see the Golden Boot winner stay at the Roosters for another three years, while Head and Patten each re-signed until 2008.
Dragons prop Michael Henderson is set to be announced as Gold Coast Titans' latest recruit, while a number of other deals are believed to be near completion.
Apart from Patten, the Bulldogs this week retained former Test centre Willie Tonga and are still in the hunt for Dragons rookie Daryl Millard, as are Canberra, Cronulla, the Roosters and North Queensland. Myles has been linked to Brisbane as well as the Roosters, who have lost Great Britain prop Adrian Morley to Warrington and City Origin centre Ryan Cross to rugby union.
Fitzgibbon is expected to accept a one-year deal to remain at the Bondi-based club he captains, and the Roosters have also been heavily linked to St George Illawarra forward Ashton Sims.
The Sharks expect to re-sign second-rower Lance Thompson and goalkicking winger Luke Covell but are in the market for a centre after losing Nigel Vagana to Souths and Phil Bailey to Wigan, while failing to reach agreement with Beau Scott.
Penrith's focus is also on outside backs and they are expected to weigh in heavily for former Parramatta and Australia centre Jamie Lyon, back from St Helens.
Newcastle international Matt Gidley is set to be released to replace Lyon at St Helens and a straight swap has been mooted. The Knights are also believed to be considering the Eels' Brett Delaney and ex-Sharks centre Ryan McGoldrick, now at Castleford.

Wakefield playmaker Ben Jeffries is also planning to return to Australia after previous stints with the Dragons and Wests Tigers. His agent Mark Rowan has sent tapes of his performances in Super League to the Rabbitohs and Broncos.
The Tigers hope to learn by Monday whether Eels utility John Morris will join them as a replacement for Gold Coast-bound halfback Scott Prince, with Manly's Travis Burns looming as another option in a possible indication that the Sea Eagles believe they will land Lyon.
The Rabbitohs are also expected to table a formal offer to Canberra five-eighth Jason Smith on Monday and Schifcofske has not ruled out exercising a get-out clause two years before his contract with the Raiders expires, despite negotiations with rugby union failing to yield a suitable offer.
Leeds, who have lost England international Richard Mathers to Gold Coast and missed out on Patten, are in the market for a fullback and may target the Canberra captain or Webb.
PLAYERS ON THE MARKET

FULLBACKS
Shaun Foley (Roosters), Clint Greenshields (Dragons), Karmichael Hunt (Broncos), Wade McKinnon (Eels), Todd Polglase (Souths), Clinton Schifcofske (Raiders), David Seage (Knights), Brent Webb (Warriors).
WINGERS
Colin Best (Dragons), Leon Bott (Broncos), Marshall Chalk (Raiders), Luke Covell (Sharks), Trent Cutler (Bulldogs), Daniel Fitzhenry (Tigers), Michael Gordon (Panthers), Luke MacDougall (Souths), Vince Mellars (Roosters), Chris Walker (Storm).
CENTRES
Gavin Cooper (Cowboys), Brett Delaney (Eels), Shane Elford (Tigers), Andrew Emelio (Bulldogs), Danny Galea (Panthers), Josh Hannay (Cowboys), Adam MacDougall (Souths), Daryl Millard (Dragons), Beau Scott (Sharks), Jake Webster (Storm).
HALVES
Travis Burns (Manly), John Morris (Eels), Ben Reynolds (Tigers), Chris Sheppard (Dragons), Jason Smith (Raiders), Ben Walker (Souths), Joe Williams (Souths).
BACK-ROWERS
Matt Bickerstaff (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Awen Guttenbeil (Warriors), Sam Isemonger (Dragons), Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters), Matt Hilder (Sharks), Jacob Lillyman (Cowboys), Todd Lowrie (Knights), Terry Martin (Raiders), Dallas McIlwain (Bulldogs), Mark Minichiello (Souths), Brad Morrin (Bulldogs), Nate Myles (Bulldogs), Nigel Plum (Roosters), Shane Rigon (Souths), Alan Rothery (Raiders), Ashton Sims (Dragons), David Stagg (Broncos), Lance Thompson (Sharks).
PROPS
Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Mark Bryant (Manly), Aaron Cannings (Eels), Michael Henderson (Dragons), Hutch Maiava (Sharks), Manase Manuokafoa (Souths), Adam Peek (Eels), Justin Poore (Dragons), Craig Stapleton (Panthers), James Stosic (Sharks), Richard Villasanti (Sharks).
HOOKERS
John Doyle (Roosters), Aaron Gorrell (Dragons), George Ndaira (Dragons), Shane Walker (Souths).

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here's the most up to date list of off contract players I could find...parts in bold may be of interest.

Players in bold are those I feel Parramatta should be targetting. Of those, we would probably only realistically get 3 or 4, if that, but so long as we got at least one of the selected Backrowers and two Props, we'd be in for a very much better year IMO.

Hurriflatch

Referee
From that list I'd like to see

Gavin Cooper
Ben Creagh
and Hutch Maiava

chased in addition to those you've listed

both Creagh and Cooper are capable of playing at 2nd row or in the centres

while with Widders gorne if Parra sign Maiava have him and Fui as a combination would be nice

Haynzy

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
From that list I'd like to see

Gavin Cooper
Ben Creagh
and Hutch Maiava

chased in addition to those you've listed

both Creagh and Cooper are capable of playing at 2nd row or in the centres

while with Widders gorne if Parra sign Maiava have him and Fui as a combination would be nice

Great for 10 mins each half

Haynzy

First Grade
yeah....... but with Morro going we're gonna need some 80 min players to help out Hindy !

Hurriflatch

Referee
True, but I'm talking about props not 2nd rowers or the lock

get the 2nd row and lock all capable of playing 80 mins leaves a lot of freedom for the prop roation

V1er

Juniors
Cooper, Lillyman, or creagh would be ideal replacement for morrison. Wouldnt mind cooper coming off in the widders role next year think he could add alot by doing that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
there is still some real quality available and i know the club are looking are a couple of high profile players in that list so it should be interesting to see who they nab in a few weeks.

James_Hardie

Juniors
eelavation said:
there is still some real quality available and i know the club are looking are a couple of high profile players in that list so it should be interesting to see who they nab in a few weeks.

Who?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:

I think we are letting more qualtiy players go, than we will gain

We wont get the pick of that crop, too many clubs bidding for them, no doubt we'll end up with a few, but I'm not convinced we'll be better off than if we had of kept, Morrision, Widders, Morris and McKinnon.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Will wait and see who Parra do sign but they need something big to overcxome the losses of Morro, Morris, Wade and Deano.

parralight

Juniors
David Stagg would be a great buy. A tough player with the right attitude and someone who would make a heap of tackles every game, leaving Hindy to do other things.

Phillips

Referee
Bazal said:
David Seage (Knights), Brent Webb (Warriors).

Marshall Chalk (Raiders),Luke MacDougall (Souths), Vince Mellars (Roosters)

Gavin Cooper (Cowboys), Shane Elford (Tigers), Andrew Emelio (Bulldogs), Jake Webster (Storm).

Ben Reynolds (Tigers)

Matt Hilder (Sharks), Todd Lowrie (Knights), Mark Minichiello (Souths), Nate Myles (Bulldogs), Ashton Sims (Dragons)

Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Michael Henderson (Dragons), Hutch Maiava (Sharks), Manase Manuokafoa (Souths), Justin Poore (Dragons), Craig Stapleton (Panthers), James Stosic (Sharks)

John Doyle (Roosters)

i'd be happy if we got any of these players

ParraManiac

Juniors
It is great to see so many quality forwards on the market. This is where we are struggling. For a back what about Karmichael Hunt?

Hunt, Greenshields, Asotasi, Sims and Henderson are the ones I would go after.

Pricey

Juniors
Jamie Lyon, would be a fix all at 5/8 and then a couple props and second rowers and we will be fine. I know Lyon will not be with us but he would be a fix all.

jayman

Juniors
Twizzle said:
I think we are letting more qualtiy players go, than we will gain

We wont get the pick of that crop, too many clubs bidding for them, no doubt we'll end up with a few, but I'm not convinced we'll be better off than if we had of kept, Morrision, Widders, Morris and McKinnon.

hit the nail on the head...

my thoughts exactly...

lets face it we are now like souths no one will want to come here, we will have to pay over the odds to get players here.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra-matters said:
lets face it we are now like souths no one will want to come here, we will have to pay over the odds to get players here.

don't agree with you there, we may end up with talent that Souths have but we're twice as professional ans have twice the facilities as they do.