What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Rail threat to Bulldogs

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
More to the point we don't want these supporters associated with our club but apart from the police putting these measures in place there's little we as fans can do - we are really quite powerless when it comes to events outside the stadium I'm sorry.

Timmah said:
It IS woeful reporting - they've reported on a group of incidents under one headline. If they were serious about their journalism they'd do more investigation on the incident confirmed to involve Bulldogs fans, run that story separately - and THEN run a separate piece on violence on CityRail trains and crew in the regular news.

Crap. The three incidents referred to in the article are clearly linked by the fact that they are all causes for concern for the train drivers' union. The fact that the link does not reflect well upon Bulldogs fans is not the journalist's fault.

Timmah said:
The reporters in this regard KNOW that people today skim over headlines and skim over articles and are easily persuaded by dot points and other different sorts of journalstic techniques to have the readers believe what they want them to believe. So many of the non-footy-loving general public are turned away because of this.

That's not the reporters' fault. I think if I was a journalist I would not be easily convinced by an argument that I should write my articles on the assumption that they won't be read or won't be read properly.

If there's any cause for concern in regards to this article it might be the headline, but that's not the reporter's fault. I personally think the headline is perfectly fair.

Timmah said:
YOU know the Dogs fans weren't responsible for all of it - I know the Dogs fans weren't responsible for all of it - but average Joe bloggs who reads his paper is just going to think "ugh, look at what they did" and close the paper again.

So people who can't be bothered to get themselves informed are going to remain uninformed? That doesn't sound like a huge dilemma to me.

Timmah
You and I know it’s a small minority of Bulldogs fans (and not true fans), and the problem is not with the club, and it’s not with their supporters, but with a very small minority of idiots and the policing of it is where the problem lies.

Stop worrying what average Joe Bloggs who is too lazy or too dumb to read an article properly think, it’s not worth the angst. Support your club proudly and point out to those dim witted Joe Bloggs who don’t read it properly that they are poorly informed…

ouwet

Bench
RAIL, TRAM AND BUS UNION SUPPORTS BULLDOGS CLUB AND ITS FANS
Wednesday 8 Aug 2007 16:56
by (Press Release)
Source: www.bulldogs.com.au

August 8, 2007: The Rail, Tram and Bus Union issued the following release today:

The RTBU today highlighted a series of recent incidents involving rail workers who had been the subject of violent attacks and threats in their workplaces.

One incident used as an example to highlight the many violent issues experienced by rail workers in their workplaces occurred following a football match at Olympic Park.

Although today's media report singled out the Bulldogs Rugby League supporters the RTBU never suggested they are the group within our community responsible for violence on trains.

The RTBU welcomes the Bulldogs support for our members and their right to have a safe workplace.

It is RailCorp and the NSW Government who are ultimately responsible for providing rail workers with a safe workplace free of violence. The RTBU awaits their response on how they propose to address the increase in violence across the rail network.

On radio today, Vince Graham, CEO of RailCorp, congratulated the Bulldogs Club for the work it had done in dramatically reducing the number of incidents on trains after games over the past couple of years.

Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad commented, "It was disappointing to read a newspaper report today that irresponsibly used the Bulldogs name to highlight a fight the RTBU is having with RailCorp and the NSW Government.

"We are pleased the RTBU have set the record straight and we agree with them that the safety of train drivers and rail staff is paramount."

ouwet

Bench
The Fruit Pickers said:
Timmah
You and I know it’s a small minority of Bulldogs fans (and not true fans), and the problem is not with the club, and it’s not with their supporters, but with a very small minority of idiots and the policing of it is where the problem lies.

Stop worrying what average Joe Bloggs who is too lazy or too dumb to read an article properly think, it’s not worth the angst. Support your club proudly and point out to those dim witted Joe Bloggs who don’t read it properly that they are poorly informed…

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs reject violent fans tag
By Paul Carter, Nick Ralston and Kim Christian
August 08, 2007 08:27pm
Article from: AAP

THE troubled Bulldogs NRL club had an off-field victory today when top dog Malcolm Noad tackled new claims of fan thuggery.

The Bulldogs CEO won a backdown from the Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) after objecting to his team being used as a political football in an industrial dispute.

Mr Noad blew his whistle when Bulldogs fans were highlighted in reports about security threats to Sydney rail workers from violent commuters.

RTBU secretary Nick Lewocki said: "Four weeks ago we happened to have no security on the train, it happened to be a Bulldogs game, and there was a carriage trashed and our driver and guard were threatened."

The union later sought to get back onside with the doggies.

"Although today's media report singled out Bulldogs rugby league supporters, the RTBU never suggested they are the group within our community responsible for violence on trains," the union said.

Mr Noad said he was disappointed to read irresponsible reports using the Bulldogs name to highlight a fight the RTBU is having with RailCorp and the Iemma New South Wales Government.

"We are pleased the RTBU have set the record straight and we agree with them that the safety of train drivers and rail staff is paramount," he said.

It was ostensibly an industrial play-off between the RTBU, RailCorp, and the NSW Government.

But that didn't stop NSW Premier Morris Iemma, a St George-Illawarra fan, putting the boot into Bulldogs fans.

Mr Iemma said Bulldogs fans had a history of causing trouble.

"They've got a bad record of appalling behaviour..." Mr Iemma said.

"I can understand the drivers' hesitancy about Bulldog fans."

Police Minister David Campbell said he did not believe police viewed one team's football supporters to be more "unruly than others".

Opposition police spokesman Mike Gallacher said Mr Campbell must outline how many officers were attending Bulldogs games and the other measures used to address the ongoing problem of antisocial behaviour.

"The controversy surrounding the behaviour of some Bulldogs supporters is indicative of behaviour problems right across the board," he said.

Riot police kept watch over Bulldogs fans last season, after a number of off-field punch-ups involving supporters of the southwestern Sydney team.

The club hit rock bottom in 2004, when a 23-year-old woman in Coffs Harbour alleged she was gang raped by six Bulldogs players. No charges were ever laid.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22212001-2,00.html

EXACTLY what I was saying. It was poor reporting in the first place.

Iemma = f**kwit.

mattyg

Bench
why is it that every f**king article about us has to bring up an incident that happened several years ago. The coffs harbour scandal has nothing whatsoever to do with this yet they feel obliged to include it in the article.

All that backdown claims is that the Bulldogs are not the sole source of violence on trains. The first article didn't claim that so I don't see how this is any evidence of poor reporting.

EDIT: Unless the union official is trying to suggest that the SMH's claim that Bulldogs fans were identified on the train by their jerseys is untrue although there's no specific denial of that so methinks it's just an attempt to placate Noad.

0neye

:crazy: Moffo said, BURN babby BURN:evil:
stailinmolotov1.jpg

Nathan B

Juniors
For those unaware of the term 'media spin', go watch a few episodes of Frontline. Or Media Watch. This was an horrendous article and heavily promoted the Bulldogs angle just so our logo and the headline could be slapped on the front of the paper, hence selling more copies. People love to hate the Bulldogs. They can't get enough of us. It's quite sad.

If its true that some one is interfeering with the signals on the train line,they should be identified and dobbed in immediately.This is a disaster waiting to happen if this continues.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ill be driving to the game this week. Public transport in sydney is the pits on a good day, let alone a bad one when the train is full of unrulely dogs fans

Latest posts