What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion SMH Top 50 NRL Players - Season 2024

Chins get the wins

First Grade
DWZ in the top 50 is a wild one. One of the best finishers in the game and carries it strong, but is a complete liability on defense. Got skinned in both our finals losses in 2023.

Wayde Egan should have had his place - Egan>DWZ all day long. Egan is a jet. In fact if he didn't get injured/concussed so often, I'd have him over Grant in my team all day long. Koroisau is a better, more consistent hooker than Grant, as well.
Grant is super overrated for sure

DWZ in the top 50 is a wild one. One of the best finishers in the game and carries it strong, but is a complete liability on defense. Got skinned in both our finals losses in 2023.

Wayde Egan should have had his place - Egan>DWZ all day long. Egan is a jet. In fact if he didn't get injured/concussed so often, I'd have him over Grant in my team all day long. Koroisau is a better, more consistent hooker than Grant, as well.
Egan has turned into a terrific player

mxlegend99

Referee
Hynes for mine is the one that is worst ranked. He is ahead of Grand Final winning / playing halves while he has never led his team to a single finals win.

I make a bit of fun of Moses as a flat track bully. But he has atleast won finals matches and led his team to a grand final. Hynes hasn't done that. Yet he is ranked higher than Reynolds, Hunt, Moses and Hughes?

I feel like they deserve it over him based on delivering in big games before. Sure Hunt and Moses lost grand finals, but they won finals to make it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, it's interesting as to what the criteria is. Walsh might be 4th flashiest, but he's not the 4th best. Roy Masters' write-up put paid to that idea :D

T-Boon

Coach
It’s a as bad list. Any Eels fan would tell you Dylan Brown is a lot better than Gutherson but Guth is on the list and Brown is not.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'd also put Leota ahead of Tapine too.
Tapine is a beast. I'd have him higher than where he finished up, but more so because of overrated flashy types being ranked correctly and bumping him up that way than putting him ahead of JFH etc. Where he sits in comparison to Liam Martin is on the money.

Tapine is a beast. I'd have him higher than where he finished up, but more so because of overrated flashy types being ranked correctly and bumping him up that way than putting him ahead of JFH etc. Where he sits in comparison to Liam Martin is on the money.

Oh I rate him. Just I think Leota and JFH are better front row forwards than Tapine is all.

Never seen a player so consistently do nothing when it matters and yet still get talked up

I suspect a lot of the judges have only looked at/remembered what many of the players have done during the regular season, with some recency bias (e.g. Reece Walsh). In the regular season, especially last year, Johnson was playing incredibly well.

GongPanther

Referee
This list would have been picked with the finalizing draft made on a round table with all the judges present. Any final arguments would have been decided on seniority, so there would have been mild ego clashes.

Probably the reasoning behind some unpopular selections.

Maybe at this seasons end, LU could form some kind of a poll for the top 50 players for season 2025, and not on past reputation.

skeepe

Immortal
Tapine GF's = 0
JFH GF's = 3

Yeah, nah
Tapine has played in one grand final you intellectual void.

But they are not the important stat for a prop.

There is no better prop in the game than Joseph Tapine. This is an objective fact. Therefore, any prop not named Joseph Tapine who appears higher than he does is a grave error in judgement.