What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snapshot at memberships to date

cleary89

Coach
They announced 19 something at the game today. Not a bad result (considering we have had 19k for the last 4 years now) especially when a few people in this thread said there was no chance we would get 10k.

FlameThrower

Bench
Today's crowd was poor, last home game. Sunny afternoon in Kogarah and playing a must win game. Really poor turnout. Yet we whinge about moving home games to ANZ and the big stadiums.. And can't even crack 9500 people??
Titans out of town team, and struggling, so Club really needed to promote this better , with family discounts in general admission?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Club really needed to promote this better , with family discounts in general admission?
Something tells me that doing just that is not in their best interests. They and the NRL would love to move more games away from Kogarah and to ANZ. Poor crowds like that gives them more justification to do so.

Mr Red

First Grade
Something tells me that doing just that is not in their best interests. They and the NRL would love to move more games away from Kogarah and to ANZ. Poor crowds like that gives them more justification to do so.

Correct.
Double edged sword for fans at the moment, if we choose to stay away and vote with our feet I regards to poor management over the last few seasons it actually gives a Doust the " I told you so" option in moving more games to big venues ...
However if we turn up in huge numbers it will give Doust the impression that the fans are happy with how things are being run....

Perhaps turn up in huge numbers .... But make sure we have numerous " oust Doust" signs to get the point home? I did notice one from where I was sitting so congrats to whoever owned that one ;-)

The Mighty

Juniors
Correct.
Double edged sword for fans at the moment, if we choose to stay away and vote with our feet I regards to poor management over the last few seasons it actually gives a Doust the " I told you so" option in moving more games to big venues ...
However if we turn up in huge numbers it will give Doust the impression that the fans are happy with how things are being run....

Perhaps turn up in huge numbers .... But make sure we have numerous " oust Doust" signs to get the point home? I did notice one from where I was sitting so congrats to whoever owned that one ;-)

I know that there will be at least 3 Red V members next year as my family resigned today at the game

Willow

Assistant Moderator
19,000 & we can only get 9k to todays game. Wow
With respect Johnsy, can I ask which supporter package you bought? You would know there are choices.

We have a membership of approx 19,700. This is a mixture of supporter packages and season ticket holders that include Wollongong-only, Kogarah-only, neutral venues and I understand there exists a merchandise-only membership as well. Not all buy the entire package.

Out of this, we had approx 9,500 rusted-on supporters at Kogarah yesterday. The Titans supporteers there could fit into one car.

Even if the entire membership had a Kogarah ticket (which they most certainly did not), then we managed to get half of them to attend the game. Either way, this suggests to me that roughly half the membership are locals in the St George area. Why are we telling them to piss off?

Now, if we had a drawcard opposition - say a local Sydney team - the crowd would double. In 2014, Kogarah received no favours. Unfortunately, the drawcard events were sold off to neutral venues - with their freebies and major promotion. The crowd figures there are propped up further, all designed to make it look good on paper.

Further on the promotion thing and the raw deal we are getting at Kogarah, yesterday I saw one poster in the street outside of the ground. It was on the corner of Jubilee Ave and Princes Hwy. That's right, only 1 poster in the local area. Furthermore, the Leagues Club no longers promotes games at Kogarah. We used to have a big billboard outside the club to announce the next home game. It was seen by thousands of cars every day, but that's long gone. In it's place is a smaller LED sign that is essentially used to promote the pokies. Yesterday, it was promoting Jazz music that plays on Sunday afternoons in the Leagues Club.

It said: "3:00 PM... EVERY SECOND SUNDAY... JAZZ..."

Now maybe I'm the worst promoter all time, but would that sign be best served to promote an event that can draw thousands of extra people? I hope the jazz did well, but I don't think it would make as much money for the Club as a football game.

Add to all this the appalling online promotion: NRL.com still has us playing at WIN Jubilee Stadium, the ground has not been called that all year - It is Kogarah Jubilee Oval. And this filters down into errors across the board with Google listing the game as being played at WIN Stadium, Wollongong. IT COSTS NOTHING to get this sorted out in advance, just a few phone calls or emails at most. I can but imagine how many people rolled up to Wollongong only to realise they'd been stuffed around.

As one fellow supporter said to me yesterday, "They don't want us to play here." Hard to argue with given the level of mismanagement.

So... like all things Johnsy, it's not as simple doing a bit of addition and substraction. To simply it to such an extent and ignore other factors would ultimately lead the demise of this great club. Rather then bagging out on these rusted ons and our home ground, we should be rallying to save our heritage. Without it, we'll all be the poorer.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And can't even crack 9500 people??
It was posted as 9,584. For some reason people tend to round it down at Kogarah. Interestingly, I've seen 19,500 elsewhere morphing itself into 20,000.
FlameThrower said:
Titans out of town team, and struggling, so Club really needed to promote this better , with family discounts in general admission?
You mean like they give at Homebush, the SFS and SCG?

See my post above. The promotion for games at Kogarah is terrible. In my opinion, it goes beyond inefficiency.

Mr Red

First Grade
Management have already " turned off the lights" at kogarah.... They're just waiting for the last standing supporter to close the door on they way out....

It's an absolute disgrace to lose the fabric and history that is the dragons ..