What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snoop Dogg Souths

sooperdooper

First Grade
Stand a lone rack fans are amongst the silliest and most annoying of any fans out there (worse than afl fans)

They think the world revolves around rock and nothing but rock is good. The world wouldnt revolve around rock!

You can go ask the biggest rock bands/rap artists in todays world and they would both have the most utmost respect for each other. Hence why alot of them collaborate or help each other out.

To be so narrow minded and think Led Zep or snoop are greater than either one is ridiculous.
Both are great artists and have the respect of artists in the same genre and other genres.

Claiming 'rapping' isnt music is just ludicrious!

Wake the heck up, having someone of Snoops stature donning the jersey of souths is incredible.

Led Zep is a massive band and Snoop is a massive rapper. Whom are both successful.

So stop trying to kid yourself rocks fans and wake the hell up.....

For the record i went to the Snoop concert, it was a good night! Bone thugs were good. As was ice cube and snoop!

donkey|rope

Juniors
a) I like Zepplin but the Led Zepplin fans evidenced in this thread are either ignorant sad-sacks or just old fashioned stupid. How high can you really get on your horse about sampling when everyone and their pre-pubescent niece knows that Jimmy Page plagiarized every memorable riff and Robert Plant stole their most quotable lyrics from Blues and R&B records? Oh wait - you are all pasty suburbanites who never had to stones to listen to black music until it was appropriated and its history was white-washed over. Some of you crazy old diamonds need to like contemporize, man.

b) Whichever poster wrote 'if Snoop Dog was a big megastar like Sinatra...why did he sell drugs?': you do realize that Sinatra was a mobster don't you? Don't answer, it was rhetorical. It's mighty rich of a bloke sitting at his computer in Australia to really be judging the socio-economic circumstances that led a kid on the other side of the world to get involved with street crime.

c) There is a difference between being an entertainer and an artist. I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, would consider Snoop Dogg an artist.

d) Snoop Dogg contribution to music as a solo performer begins and ends at Doggystyle. Beyond that he is simply a pop cultural icon of the 90's/00's and a hero to potheads everywhere. Jimmy Page will always be a far more important figure in the lexicon of popular music.

f) Anyone who thinks 2pac's All Eyez (sic) On Me one of the great albums needs to have their head examined. It is a terrible record held together by two good singles and his much mythologized death. Moreover, this album is soley responsible for every cringe worthy 'emcee' we've had to endure since its release. Go listen to Illmatic.

Chachi

Bench
Gimmie a break. Zep did not make a career out of stealing riffs and lyrics. They covered some great (and sometimes obscure) tracks and lyrics, but their biggest records were original and massively ground breaking at the time.

For the record, I grew up in the early 90's listening to Public Enemy, Run DMC, NWA and Ice T alongside Led Zep, The Doors, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Tho Oils, Anthrax, Metallica etc. I loved that era of rap, not because I could really relate to it (being a middle class white boy from the suburbs of Canberra) but because they wrote about issues that are important and gave a voice to a whole generation. They were passionate, political and original.

What I can't stand are these hip hop artists who crap on about bitches, gangstas, drugs, pimps, ho's and their homies and of course how much money they are making. Often the only hook they have is a sample from some other great rock song. IMO they've probably done more to set back their cause and establish a sh*thouse stereotype of african americans than anybody else in the last 200 years. Most of it is just mind numbingly boring and I often wonder if I'm watching some sort of parody whenever I see one of their video clips.

That's just an opinion. I can appreciate that lots of people obviously love Snoopy, P Diddy (or whatever he calls himself), Tupac, Fiddy Cent and the like but I just don't get it. Maybe I am just getting old. ;-) I have to say 2 Live Crew have a lot to answer for. :lol:

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
Actually, his best mate became a Muslim and that allowed him to "get up out the hood."

Fair effort though on the translation. Some Rappers do nothing but boast and its fair to say that Tupac did his fair share of boasting, however he also had some powerful songs with very influential lyrics. It's easy for you gus to sit back and make some pretty broad generalisations about Rappers, but I bet you would all have some changed opinions if you actually sat back and listened. Some of his songs like "Dear Momma" and "Unconditional Love" had some of the deepest lyrics you will ever hear and his song "Changes" was probably one of the greatest anti racism song's ever written. But most of you guys would just see him as a dumb black guy who got what he deserved and died young. Had Tupac still been alive today, I'm convinced the world would have been a different place and he would have been very close to the greatest selling recording artist of all time.

You could say that about Jimmy Hendrix or any other massively gifted performer/Band from any era.(Edit: Who died during thier peak) We all know thats not the way it works though.

I will cut you some slack though, actually some rap lyrics are brilliantly done/written no doubt. I've been involved in performing some Eminem, and other very commercial rap tunes, transforming it into a live rock sound which by the way works very well at pubs and the like, purely in a cover band situation.

I guess what I'm saying is that although Tupac is massive in the eyes of many and his rave was a pure one no doubt, the gangster sh*t has been done to death. It's also now a mainstream thing and the genre' has been tweaked that many times I guess i'm sick of hearing about guns and ho's and slums in America.

Once a territory has been covered it's rarely repeated with the same raw emotions of the iconic first few. i.e Led Zep Tupac Tool Eminem ect.

What will be the new thing in say 25 years time?

I bet we both hate it.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
a) I like Zepplin but the Led Zepplin fans evidenced in this thread are either ignorant sad-sacks or just old fashioned stupid. How high can you really get on your horse about sampling when everyone and their pre-pubescent niece knows that Jimmy Page plagiarized every memorable riff and Robert Plant stole their most quotable lyrics from Blues and R&B records? Oh wait - you are all pasty suburbanites who never had to stones to listen to black music until it was appropriated and its history was white-washed over. Some of you crazy old diamonds need to like contemporize, man.

b) Whichever poster wrote 'if Snoop Dog was a big megastar like Sinatra...why did he sell drugs?': you do realize that Sinatra was a mobster don't you? Don't answer, it was rhetorical. It's mighty rich of a bloke sitting at his computer in Australia to really be judging the socio-economic circumstances that led a kid on the other side of the world to get involved with street crime.

c) There is a difference between being an entertainer and an artist. I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, would consider Snoop Dogg an artist.

d) Snoop Dogg contribution to music as a solo performer begins and ends at Doggystyle. Beyond that he is simply a pop cultural icon of the 90's/00's and a hero to potheads everywhere. Jimmy Page will always be a far more important figure in the lexicon of popular music.

f) Anyone who thinks 2pac's All Eyez (sic) On Me one of the great albums needs to have their head examined. It is a terrible record held together by two good singles and his much mythologized death. Moreover, this album is soley responsible for every cringe worthy 'emcee' we've had to endure since its release. Go listen to Illmatic.

That is a great post.

donkey|rope

Juniors
Gimmie a break. Zep did not make a career out of stealing riffs and lyrics. They covered some great (and sometimes obscure) tracks and lyrics, but their biggest records were original and massively ground breaking at the time.
I was writing with a degree of hyperbole to illustrate the gaping holes in the glass houses of those on high horses making arguments against sampling using Led Zepplin as their shining example of 'artistic integrity'. The fact is virtually all music has been inspired and interpolated from another source. Sampling is an artform and if you think otherwise you've never herd Endtroducing.

As I prefaced my post - I like Zepplin but I learned long ago that hero worship is best left to 13 year olds. I don't know how anyone with a fully realized sense of themselves could care what people make music about or how they go about it. If its good, its good, if not move on.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Aaah, trhe wandering off track brigade.

This all started by Digital's quote that Snogg was one of the most sucessful entertainers of all time. Clearly he isn't. Popular in the rap mob, as Sabbath is to metalheads, Miles Davis to Jazz. Neither Sloop Wogg, Sabbath or Davis got to the mainstream (agrument can be launched for Paranoid)

But I must address this:

And to even come up with false statistics to help your silly argument, whoever said led zeppelin was in the top 5 of all time albums sold, stop kidding yourself.

The “dirty dancing” and “Saturday night fever” soundtrack and mc hammer’s “please hammer, don’t hurt em” album sold more than any of your beloved led zeppelin’s albums.

I'm talking total albums for a band, not individual. And yes, those Zeppelin stats were US only.

Don’t get me wrong, I love led zeppelin, but you can’t compare a rock band to a rapper.

Not trying to. Just stating the bleeding obvious re fame.

For the record - on Wikipedia's list, compare global album sales for hard rockers/metal bands over rappers (lets leave mainstream Rock aka Floyd, U2 etc out.

Over 500 million records sold

Rock: None (althout Eddie Van Halen played on Thriller)
Rap: None.

200 million to 499 million records sold

Rock

• AD/DC
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Queen
Rap: None

100 million to 199 million records sold

Rock
  • Aerosmith
  • Black Sabbath (Heeyah!!!)
  • Deep Purple
  • Guns 'n Roses
  • Iron Maiden
  • Metallica
  • Status Quo
  • The Who

75 million to 99 million records

Rock

• Kiss
  • Scorpions
  • Van Halen
Rap:

• Eminem

50 million to 74 million records

Rock

• Alice Cooper
  • Def Leppard
  • Linkin Park (if you count 'em)
  • Motle Crue
Rap

• Jay-Z (whoever the f*ck that is!)
So, 2 rappers vs 18 heavy rockers. Tells ya something!

As for Soup Fogg - scanning the annals of Wikipedia I make it about 21 million album sales for this laddy. Not bad - but considering his first two accounted for 15 million - the other 8 have abysmal sales. One of the worlds most famous artists? :lol::lol::lol:

An album of Jimmy Page's farts would outsell that!

Face it - of all the sub genres of the modern music industry - metal outstrips anything else by the leangth of a John Bonham drum solo!

Footnote: The author of this historically accurate post one won a CD smashing competition at Selinas. The quest was to smash some rapper twat's abysmal rip off off Deep Purple's classic "Highway Star".

The prize? None other than "The very best of Black Sabbath"

Generals gathered in their masseeeeeees
Just like withches at black masseeeeeeees

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Aaah, trhe wandering off track brigade.

This all started by Digital's quote that Snogg was one of the most sucessful entertainers of all time. Clearly he isn't. Popular in the rap mob, as Sabbath is to metalheads, Miles Davis to Jazz. Neither Sloop Wogg, Sabbath or Davis got to the mainstream (agrument can be launched for Paranoid)

But I must address this:

I'm talking total albums for a band, not individual. And yes, those Zeppelin stats were US only.

Not trying to. Just stating the bleeding obvious re fame.

For the record - on Wikipedia's list, compare global album sales for hard rockers/metal bands over rappers (lets leave mainstream Rock aka Floyd, U2 etc out.

Over 500 million records sold

Rock: None (althout Eddie Van Halen played on Thriller)
Rap: None.

200 million to 499 million records sold

Rock

• AD/DC
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Queen

100 million to 199 million records sold

Rock
  • Aerosmith
  • Black Sabbath (Heeyah!!!)
  • Deep Purple
  • Guns 'n Roses
  • Iron Maiden
  • Metallica
  • Status Quo
  • The Who

75 million to 99 million records

Rock

• Kiss
  • Scorpions
  • Van Halen
Rap:

• Eminem

50 million to 74 million records

Rock

• Alice Cooper
  • Def Leppard
  • Linkin Park (if you count 'em)
  • Motle Crue
Rap

• Jay-Z (whoever the f*ck that is!)
So, 2 rappers vs 18 heavy rockers. Tells ya something!

As for Soup Fogg - scanning the annals of Wikipedia I make it about 21 million album sales for this laddy. Not bad - but considering his first two accounted for 15 million - the other 8 have abysmal sales. One of the worlds most famous artists? :lol::lol::lol:

An album of Jimmy Page's farts would outsell that!

Face it - of all the sub genres of the modern music industry - metal outstrips anything else by the leangth of a John Bonham drum solo!

Footnote: The author of this historically accurate post one won a CD smashing competition at Selinas. The quest was to smash some rapper twat's abysmal rip off off Deep Purple's classic "Highway Star".

The prize? None other than "The very best of Black Sabbath"

Generals gathered in their masseeeeeees
Just like withches at black masseeeeeeees

awesome post:D

You can add another 10 million albums for Thriller thanks to Eddie, the riff alone is still one of the most influentia of all time.

alexc

Can I also add that if you are over the age of 16 and listen to rap that you are a giant homosexual.

Signed, me.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
each to their own imo, musically it has nothing, lyrically it can be quite brillant, take it for what it's worth, me personally i prefer an emphasis on instruments when making music.

simmo1

First Grade
Someone has got to sig Loudstrats post on the previous page.

The only two decent rap groups, imo: Run DMC and Public Enemy. And is it any coincidence that both these groups both collaborated with and produced some brilliant songs with a great rock band? (Aerosmith and Anthrax respectively).

elyod138

Bench
each to their own imo, musically it has nothing, lyrically it can be quite brillant, take it for what it's worth, me personally i prefer an emphasis on instruments when making music.

That's simply not true. The music in hip hop is just as important as the lyrics, it's just different to other forms of music in that the main focus is on rhythm instead of melody (melody can still be found but usually it's purpose is to complement the rhythm). Rapper's voices are just as musical as other styles of music too but in a different way because they too focus on rhythm instead of melody (usually they are used with the backing beat to create layered cross rhythms). Using samples is can be an art form in itself too if it is done in a creative way.

Also many hip hop groups do play traditional instruments (The Roots are one example).

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Quo were great for those who could only handle 3 chords. Given that Rap music only usually has one....

Bon Jovi was also on that list. Just couldn't bring myself.....

I have a private and bitter disappointment that Motorhead didn't feature either.

Latest posts