What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So many people want to go to NRL games...but....

Pugzley

I love the atmosphere of Centrebet Stadium when it is filled to capacity and the crowd is screamng. The fireworks and the fact that the Panthers take their foot off the gas pedal and let their opponents catch up helps with the excitement.

bottle

Coach
This is what happens when you support a soulless mercenary club that offers itself up for sale. Take the money and move your home ground into a big empty heartless space, try and buy other teams established stars, and risk losing your identity. You can't buy heart and passion. That's what makes it worthwhile on game day.

LESStar58

Referee
The only time a rugby league game lacks atmosphere is when all the pre-game bullshit is going on. Boring as batshit MCs, mediocre entertainment. I'm not there for bells and whistles, I just wanna watch footy.

TheDalek079

Bench
get Bon Jovi to perform This is our House before the start of every game. Adjust the kick off times so that they can get to every game

I like the idea of the teams entering at the same time. I get really annoyed going to MSS and all the rednecks booing the Roosters when they enter the field. We didn't sign with sewer league; it's their team that they should be booing FFS. Entering at the same time would eliminate this booing

Maybe have an IQ test and get all the dumbarses sitting together down one end of the ground. It's awful sitting beside a know-nothing wanker who thinks any video ref that goes against their team (even if it's correct) is incorrect and needs to be booed. Put these inbreds together and leave the rest of us sitting beside reasonably intelligent individuals

And do that thing where the players are given balls pre-match to punt into the crowd.

And perhaps they could have videos on the big screen which builds up the match. Highlights from previous encounters, players talking about what the match means to them, things like that

Dresden Dan

Juniors
I think we need to admit there is something wrong with league itself as a game if we can't fill these small grounds every week. All the other stuff are just excuses.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Don't have a problem with the pre match and half time entertainment myself, but clubs could get the best of the local music scene to do live sets. Maybe more crowd involved stuff like they do at the baseball etc.... in North america.

I have more of an issue with the time spent at the ground watching the game. It seems to short at times and more breaks for tv adverts would be a good thing at the ground.

Post match we need to have 2-3 games per season at each ground (sunday arvo) where kids get the opportunity to go on for a kick.

Moffo

Referee
Yeh compare it to a Yankees game. At the ground the atmosphere is amazing, nothing here in any code comes close

supera

Juniors
I love the atmosphere of Centrebet Stadium when it is filled to capacity and the crowd is screamng. The fireworks and the fact that the Panthers take their foot off the gas pedal and let their opponents catch up helps with the excitement.

agree.

i went and saw the Raiders away last year up at Penrith Stadium, and it was the best atmosphere of any club game I've ever been to (including the ANZAC day game).

there's something about a small ground, rabid fans, and the band in the crowd that make it feel akin to a US College football game. the cheerleaders actually lead cheering, unlike most grounds where they get up and wave their pom poms after a try and sit their looking bored for the rest of the game.

we certainly don't get that atmosphere at Canberra stadium, nor do you get it in Melbourne or at the SFS where I've seen a few games.

we can come up with suggestions as to what clubs can do, but at the end of the day it's the crowd that makes the experience what it is.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
agree.

i went and saw the Raiders away last year up at Penrith Stadium, and it was the best atmosphere of any club game I've ever been to (including the ANZAC day game).

there's something about a small ground, rabid fans, and the band in the crowd that make it feel akin to a US College football game. the cheerleaders actually lead cheering, unlike most grounds where they get up and wave their pom poms after a try and sit their looking bored for the rest of the game.

we certainly don't get that atmosphere at Canberra stadium, nor do you get it in Melbourne or at the SFS where I've seen a few games.

we can come up with suggestions as to what clubs can do, but at the end of the day it's the crowd that makes the experience what it is.

I like the feel of bulldogs home games, despite the size of the stadium their fans are nutters and make heaps of noise. Especially at the dragons game just past. I will be going to the Tigers v chooks at leichardt which will be my first suburban experience, my expecatations are pretty high for it so prayin for a sunday arvo game.

Brisbane was the worst atmosphere wise, very plastic and flat. The fans didnt even stand to applaud the teams onto the pitch any of the 5 times i have been there ffs. Good stadium though.

docbrown

Coach
I think we need to admit there is something wrong with league itself as a game if we can't fill these small grounds every week. All the other stuff are just excuses.

1. Any kick that goes over the dead ball line unassisted should be immediately returned to the kicker's position by the opposition for a tap and go. This punishes thoughtless last option kicks and sloppy kicks just to get out of defensive pressure.

2. If a defensive player charges down a kick with anything other than a open hand then it's not a knock on as there is no intent to catch and control, the intent is purely to diffuse to kick. The charge down should be a real defensive pressure option. Defusing the kicker by body contact is allowable as long as the kicker isn't brought down into a dangerous position and it's within 2-3 seconds of the kick itself. If a kicker is getting hit, let's face it, his team deserves it... stop wrapping them up in cotton wool.

3. Tackling a defensive player mid air if they have the ball is allowable as long as the player isn't brought down in a dangerous position. Stealing the ball mid air is allowable in a similar fashion. The high kick receive needs to be a proper contest.

4. Any kick from inside a team's own half that travels over 5 of the 10 metre lines (i.e. 40-50 metres), bounces in the opposition's half and then out - awards the attacking team posession at that line of the field (closest would be the opposition's 10 metre line). Because of this two defensive players are required to drop back when an attacking team is in their own half. This creates a 13 to 11 advantage to the attacking team in their own half and encourages attacking teams to throw the ball around more in their own half to exploit the advantage. Once the team crosses the 50, the distance between the defensive line and the covering defensive players is reduced and it becomes effectively 13 on 13 again.

5. 3 man tackles should not be dominant tackles. A 1 on 1 tackle should be a dominant tackle and give the defensive the longest to reset. Plus a 1 on 1 tackle should allow both a 1 on 1 strip and a 1 on 1 rake to be permissable to defence.

6. Use the new set of 6 penalty infringement rules similar to All Stars instead of kick for distance to encourage immediate play

7. Do something about the scrums. My suggestion is for the ball to already be on the ground with the referree between the two packs (forwards ONLY!), the referee withdraws, packs combine and it's proper contest. However this should only be used for cases where there is no clear cut penalty - for example a double knock on or a 40 metre kick advantage. In these case the scrum becomes a contest again. For other cases where a particular team deserves posession, just give them a turnover.

docbrown

Coach
The product is fine IMO ^^^

No need for any drastic changes

To be honest I don't necessarily think they're drastic changes, the game itself remains the same.

Here are the points that I would ask people to voice their opinion on - are they perfect, serviceable or needing adjustment - at the present time?

* Constant Bombs On The Last Tackle That Have No Thought Behind Them
* Defensive Teams Risking More With Penalties In Charge Down Situations
* The Mid Air Contest On A Last Tackle Kick Receive
* Teams Doing Simple Repetitive Runs In Their Own Attacking Half Instead Of Throwing The Ball Around
* Gang Tackles Being Dominant Tackles
* Differential Distance Penalties
* Scrums

In my opinion they could all be tweaked slightly to eliminate aimless last tackle options, to increase variety in last tackle options, to create greater defensive options at charge down situations, to create a better spectacle at mid air contests, to encourage ball movement in an attacking team's own half, to minimise wrestling in the ruck, to introduce a new defensive attacking contest opportunity, to speed up the game in lieu of differential penalties, to address what should happen at a scrum.

Last edited:

Usain Bolt

Bench
Warriors games are the worst, the merkin on the PA system seems to think he has to yell into the mic for the crowd to hear him.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Rundown sh*thole it may be, but there is no lack of excitement / atmosphere / sense of occasion at a Brookvale oval game.

I think it is more a reflection of ANZ stadium. I feel sorry for you supporters who have to endure that vast soulless and empty bowl on a regular basis. Move the Dogs back to Belmore and the Rabbits back to Redfern and games will become far more enjoyable.

You speak sense.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
An NRL team has 12 days out of 365 to shine... And the majority of games you sit there twiddling your thumbs until the team runs out..

I like the idea of theme days that baseball has usually sponsored, even the guy with the t shirt cannon is awesome.. so they cost nothing... c

huck a local band on out in the middle for 15 minutes or something please...

StormHi

Juniors
Rundown sh*thole it may be, but there is no lack of excitement / atmosphere / sense of occasion at a Brookvale oval game.

I think it is more a reflection of ANZ stadium. I feel sorry for you supporters who have to endure that vast soulless and empty bowl on a regular basis. Move the Dogs back to Belmore and the Rabbits back to Redfern and games will become far more enjoyable.

Spot on IMO

Latest posts