What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So NOW can we sack Henjak?

Big Pete

Referee
Wow, my post was all over the place wasn't it! Should never post after waking up from a nap.

Yes, most of our players that we were happy to get rid of in 08/09 was as a way of keeping Hunt.

His hard on for Folau was also another factor.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Furthermore when Ashton Sims broke into grade at the Dragons I remember him being quite skillful with offloading and it seems to me that it is flogged out of them at the Broncos.

yep welcome to the broncos of the past few years. bennett basically simplified the gameplan and stopped offloads which has unfortunately continued today. players like petero and webby never passed even though they were meant to be decent offloaders. the only times i saw webby offload was when he played for australia :crazy:

the irony regarding bennett reducing offloads is that he seems to encourage that at saints a

Broncos fan!

Juniors
This thread is full of fail. Most of you should be ashamed to call yourselves Broncos supporters.

This is so embarrassing.

beads6

First Grade
This thread is full of fail. Most of you should be ashamed to call yourselves Broncos supporters.

This is so embarrassing.

What is embarrassing is the lack of the direction the team has had from the coaching staff for the last 18 months. Not to mention the weak defensive efforts and poor attitude.:crazy:

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Broncos fan while I admire your never say die attitude the reality is we came home strong at the back end of '09 on the back of a "purple patch" of form of one David Taylor. He gave us another dimension to the "Darren Lockyer does all syndrome" we suffer from. What does Cullen ensure...... Taylors' future was elsewhere.

I believe most fans on here do not wish to deathride the team but are simply dumbfounded by the selling of quality players and their subsequent replacements. Our pack is tiny and lacks mongrel and putting our up and coming talent to the sword by throwing them in at the deep end is just plain STUPID.

I would love us to continue with a "develop our own" policy but not at the expense of smashing our young forwards confidence. The backs will be fine but our forwards are simply not going to lay the platform at present to make us a top line side and the culture of the Broncos demands nothing less. Talk of rebuilding years and we are just another folly Sydney team looking 4 excuses.

Bruno Cullen has a responsibility to provide a team Brisbane can be proud of, our massive fan base, crowd attendances and glorious history demand action from a man that played a large part in the departure of our spiritual father Wayne Bennett. Management has no business interfering with football operations, a mindset Wayne Bennett ensured during his tenure at the club.

I love the Broncos and I believe this city deserves a strong side playing in front of packed houses week after week, otherwise why do we all even bother ? I can't believe some are ready to accept mediocrity so easily.

Dazzat

First Grade
Nothing new in your post Ponies. We know our pack has dwindled from a Harley to a moped in the space of four season (Webke, Civ and Hannant to Anderson, Kenny and Maguire). Although I do think you're overstating the impact of Taylor last year ... we did have Hunt, Hodges and Folou on the park as well you know.

It ain't the end for the Broncos ... but I'm feeling its an end to an era that's spanned over 15 years. The challenge for fans is not to blame individuals, but to look forward to the start of the next era.

Bruno will move on shortly, and who's to say the next CEO will be better.

renouf

Juniors
Henjak certainly doesn't have the same touch as Bennett, not that Bennett was perfect, but he knew how to assemble a strong team every year, and that's why we've never missed the finals. He brought the best out of players and he kept players at the club.

I don't like the way we are coached these days, it seems to be all attack attack, play it as quick as possible, but there is no defence whatsoever.

Saints have that now.. you can tell by the way they defend.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Agree with you fully Dazzat Falou, Hodgo and Hunt and the rest of the team really all combined and took responsibility for our mid season slump in '09 and turned it around and the excitement generated was fantastic. The point I feel is the lack of balance in the side between a forward pack unable to currently lay a platform for a very good backline. Taylors' impact was all eyes couldn't be on Locky and Wallace to a lesser extent because we had another genuine attacking threat from a forward.

Taylor may not have reached "beep test" results that had Benton doing cartwheels but he certainly had rugby league skills and that is natural and no NASA space age technology can teach that to a regular workaholic style player.

It's not the "end of the world" but the resignation of some to become just another NRL side is worrying. The moment we believe our club isn't special it will soon become reality !

kruzin

Juniors
Yeah ... the Henjak only got the club ONE GAME SHORT OF A GRAND FINAL LAST YEAR - IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS COACH ... he obviously doesn't have a clue.:roll:

The problem with some (some) Broncos fans is they've enjoyed success too long. At the slightest hint of hardship - when sticking together matters the most (listen to Lockyer last night) - they look for the instant fix through sacking someone.

Hint: Learn how to support your club when they are going through a tough time.

Just a reminder who's on the sidelines: Hodges, Falou, Yow Yeh, Kemp, Parker and Gillett playing injured last night.

I disagree that Henjak is responsible for the recruitment at the club. Most of the damage was done during the transition between Bennett and Henjak. Personally I think Henjak is a very brave individual taking over from a 25 year coach - a poisoned challis if ever there was.

If you're looking for a scapegoat, look at Bruno Cullen.

I think this is one of the best posts ive ever seen on the forum to date, You cannot rely on a team to be grand finalists every year, especially when u have a change of coach, basically 2 million dollars sitting on a bench and a CEO who needs to give up, Henjack has a great vision for the club and is a brilliant coach, and if fans leave now when we are going through a hard time and only support the club when its going good, what sort of fan are you? JUST REMEMBER: OUR TEAM PLAYED 9 PLAYERS 21 YEARS OR YOUNGER,

Well done on the post Dazza, true queenslander and true bronco's suppoter, Top marks.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Yeah ... the Henjak only got the club ONE GAME SHORT OF A GRAND FINAL LAST YEAR - IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS COACH ... he obviously doesn't have a clue.:roll:

The problem with some (some) Broncos fans is they've enjoyed success too long. At the slightest hint of hardship - when sticking together matters the most (listen to Lockyer last night) - they look for the instant fix through sacking someone.

Hint: Learn how to support your club when they are going through a tough time.

Just a reminder who's on the sidelines: Hodges, Falou, Yow Yeh, Kemp, Parker and Gillett playing injured last night.

I disagree that Henjak is responsible for the recruitment at the club. Most of the damage was done during the transition between Bennett and Henjak. Personally I think Henjak is a very brave individual taking over from a 25 year coach - a poisoned challis if ever there was.

If you're looking for a scapegoat, look at Bruno Cullen.

Well said. It's good to see there are still some true broncos supporters left on this forum.

beads6

First Grade
I'd be willing to give Henjak more of a chance if he didn't constantly come up with stupid selections.. Look at last year how Steve Michaels made it through 16 rounds of footballs is beyond me. If he wants our faith he has to step up and get more out of the players. Also the Great coach that is Ivan has obvisouly been working hard over the summer on our defence and set plays.

JW

Coach
Too cliche, Locky. C'mon mate.

Every year when a team turns to complete shyte, it's "sack the coach" time. Even when we're only a few weeks in to the season.

Honestly, it's boring. Dazzat is right IMO.

Henjak (and his staff) clearly has his fair share of shortcomings, but so do the vast majority of other options in that department.

Let's just see this rough start to the season out for now. There is little to be gained by ditching the coach.

Talanexor

Juniors
Man you guys are harsh on Henjak. He did a pretty good job last year.

Seriously, you've lost a LOT of talent in recent years, especially up front. Letting go of Civ, Stagg, Ennis and Hannant - all rep-quality players. Now you've lost Hunt and Hodges and Folau are injured - that's a helluva lot of firepower to replace overnight. I can't see how it's Henjaks fault, or that any other coach would have done any better.

Here's what you need to do:

Buy a prop. Then buy another one. And then another.

You'll start to win games if you do this, because your team has solid halves and talent out side. It's just the engine room thats broken.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Sacking Ivan would be a terrible mistake, a lot of stuff that comes on threads at moments like this are frustration and not a "lack of desire to support the Broncos in the hard times". We as a club are a couple of quality forwards off chasing a 7th premiership, but that's where Bruno and his entourage take over. Our pack has been gutted and buying journeymen won't do at the Broncos.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd be willing to give Henjak more of a chance if he didn't constantly come up with stupid selections.. Look at last year how Steve Michaels made it through 16 rounds of footballs is beyond me. If he wants our faith he has to step up and get more out of the players. Also the Great coach that is Ivan has obvisouly been working hard over the summer on our defence and set plays.

Bit hard to select anyone else given how many injuries we had.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Man you guys are harsh on Henjak. He did a pretty good job last year.

Seriously, you've lost a LOT of talent in recent years, especially up front. Letting go of Civ, Stagg, Ennis and Hannant - all rep-quality players. Now you've lost Hunt and Hodges and Folau are injured - that's a helluva lot of firepower to replace overnight. I can't see how it's Henjaks fault, or that any other coach would have done any better.

Here's what you need to do:

Buy a prop. Then buy another one. And then another.

You'll start to win games if you do this, because your team has solid halves and talent out side. It's just the engine room thats broken.

I agree.

At least we are looking in the right direction - We have/almost have signed Tronc and I read a article that said we showed interest in Tolman(who we have very small chance of signing IMO).

Jack

Juniors
Not Henjak. Cullen. By the way Bennett signed Sims, P J Marsh and Joel Clinton all in 1 hit, then they let Civ go to Penrith, we also lost Tate. Bennett went and Cullen let Hannant, Stagg, Ennis, Boyd, Eastwood ( and moon ). And replaced them with who? He thinks players from the 20's can get the job done. But at the end of the day we need a couple more forwards. We have a lot of injuries and are simply out of form. It will all turn around, especially with injured players back but the hard part will be finding the go forward, May be Thaiday has to move up front.

Latest posts