What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what went wrong with 2012 ?

Micistm

Bench
In the NRL talent only goes so far, it takes a lot of hard work and most of all mental strength to reach the top and to be consistent. I think this is a very talented team, but I don't see the kind of killer instinct, or the tough underbelly it takes to win comps.

You blokes shoulda put 40 on Newcastle if you were aiming up, and with the start you had. Its just a piss poor effort to get run down like that.

Sides like Newcastle have worked out ( via the coach ) that it isn't about how brilliant you can be, its about how hard you try. Bellamy, Hasler do the same...they instil toughness into the young men. I think it would be frightening to see a warriors side coached like that. I've been waiting a very long time.

Makes a few thousand of us! Yes indeed, well said. With the Newcastle game, it started well. And although grumpy about the try given away immediately before half time, I was thinking, ah well, that should knock complacency out of them and they should go on with it now...:lol:
Yep, theres several games this year where I thought it'd be great to get the for/against stats better seeing we 'had it won'...and we ended up getting done! Players were no doubt thinking the same thing. I'd love to see them get a killer instinct which they just haven't had...foot on the throat, then keep hammering the opposition into the dirt until you feel a bit sorry for them, not relax and let them back in

Blair

Coach
This.

So many of our players have great talent but they just seem so shy. Non-racist comment here, but some of these guys are poor south auckland poly's. Some of them come from poor backgrounds, lack of education etc. They just aren't bought up to be put in a professional spotlight or high profile people which I think instils a lack of confidence in their psyche.

Look at the Lousi brothers, still living at home sharing the same room with single beds. When not wearing the jersey, the players off the field are wearing hoodies, backwards baseball caps etc. They are all homie bro in the way they talk still, to the media etc.

I'm not hating on any of this but it just not the "norm" for a professional football outfit.

I think you could fit this description to any NRL team at the moment, regardless of 'race'. Just switch some of the 'homie bro' stuff for whatever culture they come from.

I saw some Panthers shuffle through the mall today and there's nothing too sophisticated about them at all. For starters they were all in hoodies...

Look at the Lousi brothers, still living at home sharing the same room with single beds.

I hope they pay their way with the food bill.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Our problem this season is that by incredible coincidence all teams have played exceptional well against us. What can you do?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Our problem this season is that by incredible coincidence all teams have played exceptional well against us. What can you do?

Also amazing bad luck

Not detracting from our own failings but nothing has gone right for us this season

Just look at last night. Ultimately Manly scored 3 tries by chipping in between the fullback and the defensive line and hoping for the best. 3 times in one night. That's unbelievable luck.

StMick

Bench
I am a Dragons supporter though I've always had a real soft spot for the Warriors and love the way they play. The Warriors this year remind me a lot of the Dragons in the mid 2000's - all the talent in the world but, mentally, soft as a blancmange. I think that all comes down to coaching. Good coaches are able to prepare their players mentally, not only physically.

ozbash

Referee
If the club makes any changes to our playing/coaching roster, 2013 will become a mirror image of this season.

Our team is very good attacking wise but lacks experience/maturity in defending a lead.

Next year and the one after will be a lot better imo, the team will fall into place and we will become a real premiership force.

I actually dont think we have done that badly to be honest...

Micistm

Bench
If the club makes any changes to our playing/coaching roster, 2013 will become a mirror image of this season.

Our team is very good attacking wise but lacks experience/maturity in defending a lead.

Next year and the one after will be a lot better imo, the team will fall into place and we will become a real premiership force.

I actually dont think we have done that badly to be honest...

Would be a good poll question: Change the coach this year or stick with it?
IMO this set up deserves a second year, it's past the point of no return and you'd be back to square one.

Izz

Bench
Would be a good poll question: Change the coach this year or stick with it?
IMO this set up deserves a second year, it's past the point of no return and you'd be back to square one.
imo, there's no point changing the coach after one season. We don't want to become like Parra, where the players know they don't have to perform because the coach will get the axe regardless.

If BluesClues gets a general clue how to use his interchange bench, and stops doing insanely stupid stuff like putting a clearly hobbling Hurrell back on when Manly were throwing the ball around like it was hot, then next season we'll be a threat. If not, then 2013 will be very similar to 2012.

What was pleasing to me last night was that Sione Lousi and Lillyman played with some heart. Still no idea why Lillyman ended up in the backrow. BluesClues talks all week about Ikahahifo's ticker, but then doesn't trust that ticker, and when the kid was having a pretty decent debut. I wanted to see Mateo and Sam Lousi on the field at the same time again, but alas, no.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Also amazing bad luck

Not detracting from our own failings but nothing has gone right for us this season

Just look at last night. Ultimately Manly scored 3 tries by chipping in between the fullback and the defensive line and hoping for the best. 3 times in one night. That's unbelievable luck.

Is that luck though? Or is it just about finding a tactic that works. We had Manu, Tupou, Brown, Henry/Hurrell out in the centres. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that our entire backline will turn like the titanic. On top of that Locke looked very hesitant to really attack the ball.

They got some good bounces, but the odds were well and truly in their favour because they had guys who were desperate to get to the ball.

Benek

Juniors
What's gone right in 2012? I can't remember ever feeling this sick with disappointment. We've become a joke.

Blair

Coach
It's un-pc but a widely held opinion that the Warriors always do better with a tough, white guy running the forwards.

Campion, Price, Luck...all part of three or four memorable seasons. Anyone next year? Or is this an outdated concept?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's un-pc but a widely held opinion that the Warriors always do better with a tough, white guy running the forwards.

Campion, Price, Luck...all part of three or four memorable seasons. Anyone next year? Or is this an outdated concept?

1. Our forwards getting dominated isn't the problem
2. If Friend was any whiter his picture would be invisible on a milk carton.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Oz, are you serious about having done not that badly ?

They have gone from grand finalists to only having the Roosters, Panthers and Eels who have had less wins than them !! I'd hate to see what you would consider a poor season

In 2010 Manly had a similar issue, in getting to leads but letting those slip at the end of games. I know that Hasler felt the reason behind that was a poor pre season training based around too much scientific stuff that cost them a bit of base fitness, so the off season after that he went old school and flogged them over the summer and they won the comp.

Maybe this issue with the Warriors goes back that far as well

SilentOne

Juniors
what are peoples thoughts on the club going after Jeremy Smith? I know he's 32, but if he could play like he has at the sharks I think we can get a lot of benefit out of him.

Juju

Juniors
Mannering is white as...

I say a big yes to J Smith. Not sure he would want to come here though

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
5 out of our last 6 losses we've been leading at half time. Fitness, poor decisions when under fatigue, inexperience, clocking off, whatever the reason our second half performances have been absolute shithouse.

ozbash

Referee
Oz, are you serious about having done not that badly ?

They have gone from grand finalists to only having the Roosters, Panthers and Eels who have had less wins than them !! I'd hate to see what you would consider a poor season

In 2010 Manly had a similar issue, in getting to leads but letting those slip at the end of games. I know that Hasler felt the reason behind that was a poor pre season training based around too much scientific stuff that cost them a bit of base fitness, so the off season after that he went old school and flogged them over the summer and they won the comp.

Maybe this issue with the Warriors goes back that far as well

Ok, maybe wrong word. I'll replace badly with poorly.

A lot of our losses have been what Id call 'positive' defeats. We only just lost and for a good part of most games we played pretty well.

None of our losses this year have been demoralising floggings.

The reasons I see for these losses is lack of NRL experience and the maturity levels arnt quite up there.... yet.

You look at someone like Kevin Locke, he debuted out of position, wasnt particularly flash in his first yesr on the wing but as he got a few games under his belt (and it takes quite a few for some of these kids) he grew in footy confidence which , to me anyways, means he has also grown in maturity and emotion.

I dont know if my theory is right, I hope so cause I see an awesome future for the team and club.

Some pretty catastrophic injuries to senior guys who would have been great on field mentors to these kids certainly hasnt helped either.

Anyway, thats what I reckon.

BTW, did you see SBW for the Chiefs on Friday night?
Try and catch a rrplay if you didnt, magnificent ;-)

Latest posts