What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what went wrong with 2012 ?

vvvrulz

Coach
But I actually think player recruitment and retention, combined with an atrocious injury toll to our experienced players, has more to to with our 2012 failure than Bluey does.

I see it the other way around. Yes those issues contributed but we are still fielding teams good enough to do the job and it shows with our glimpses of brilliance in the first halves.

Injuries/recruitment etc. has nothing to do with lack of second half fitness, mental toughness and dodgy interchanges. I would have agreed with you IF we were being constantly outmatched each week, but its not the case. We're throwing away matches we should be dead set winning and despite our injury toll we should be top four material. This comes down to the coach.

hitman82

Bench
I see it the other way around. Yes those issues contributed but we are still fielding teams good enough to do the job and it shows with our glimpses of brilliance in the first halves.

Injuries/recruitment etc. has nothing to do with lack of second half fitness, mental toughness and dodgy interchanges. I would have agreed with you IF we were being constantly outmatched each week, but its not the case. We're throwing away matches we should be dead set winning and despite our injury toll we should be top four material. This comes down to the coach.

While I see your angle, I tend to think these two things are directly linked to our lack of experienced, hardened players. Too many kids. As seen with the Toyota Cup team week after week, we get ahead to a big lead then we lose composure and the opposition claws it back. I believe this has transferred into the NRL side, and with a squad made up of players like Tupou, Johnson, Henry, Taylor, Hurrell, Locke, who could be surprised? Beyond our NYC graduates; even our "more experienced" players who are in their early to mid 20s are lacking leadership from players like Tate, Price, Wiki, Luck, hell even Berrigan and Hohaia - hardened NRL veterans who know how to keep their team focused on the job and close games out. Who do we have in this kind of role?

Aragorn

First Grade
While I see your angle, I tend to think these two things are directly linked to our lack of experienced, hardened players. Too many kids. As seen with the Toyota Cup team week after week, we get ahead to a big lead then we lose composure and the opposition claws it back. I believe this has transferred into the NRL side, and with a squad made up of players like Tupou, Johnson, Henry, Taylor, Hurrell, Locke, who could be surprised? Beyond our NYC graduates; even our "more experienced" players who are in their early to mid 20s are lacking leadership from players like Tate, Price, Wiki, Luck, hell even Berrigan and Hohaia - hardened NRL veterans who know how to keep their team focused on the job and close games out. Who do we have in this kind of role?

Nathan Friend? but we need a couple more...i say bring back Hohaia or Moon from the SL!?

hitman82

Bench
Haha TBH, I'd love to have Hohaia back. But I was never a member of his "hate" club.

Letting Moon go was a poor decision.

We have Friend, but after him we have pretty much noone, and Friend is new to the club and has missed quite a few games. We should really have at least 3 "leaders" in the team. Right now we have Maloney, Friend, Mannering (though he's injured obviously). These don't even come close to the guys I mentioned.

tangalife

Juniors
For starters, I don't think they kept chipping ahead because it was some sort of genius tactic, I think it was simply a standard Hail Mary play. On one occasion there were 5 seconds to go until half-time, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the other two were both on the last tackle with them desperately needing a try? With 2 exceptions they weren't able to crack our line otherwise.

Also, yes there was more to it than luck- there was a fullback who repeatedly failed to make 1-on-1 tackles.

locke was struggling to get to taufua the first time (obvious hes playing with an injury he looked awkward running at full speed)

the second time he went for the wrong man

hitman82

Bench
Yeah Locke's clearly been on one leg since returning from injury. Overall, this season has been very poor from him - after his amazing run in the second half of 2011.

Aragorn

First Grade
For starters, I don't think they kept chipping ahead because it was some sort of genius tactic, I think it was simply a standard Hail Mary play. On one occasion there were 5 seconds to go until half-time, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the other two were both on the last tackle with them desperately needing a try? With 2 exceptions they weren't able to crack our line otherwise.

I dont know about this hail mary thing. I bet they were practising the chip all week - given how prone we are on them eg GF... easy money :eek:

hitman82

Bench
I dont know about this hail mary thing. I bet they were practising the chip all week - given how prone we are on them eg GF... easy money :eek:

What makes it extra frustrating is they NEVER come off for us... but when used against us they tend to have great effect. Balls.

vvvrulz

Coach

If you're talking about the Glenn Stewart grubber, that was a dead set fluke contrary to what Phil Gould thought at the time.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
What makes it extra frustrating is they NEVER come off for us... but when used against us they tend to have great effect. Balls.

Which is why it comes down to more than pure luck. It worked for Manly because they had 3-4 people in position to reach the ball who were all desperate for the ball.

Meanwhile we had nobody really desperate for the ball as right now they're all too afraid to be the one who makes that vital mistake so they hesitate in the hope that someone else will be forced to make the play.

Aragorn

First Grade

I dont believe in luck, except Michael Luck :lol:

I believe in good drills, good training, coaching and strategy. The kicking game is huge part of our game - and with constant practise, it becomes more than just a f**ke. :p

tangalife

Juniors
Yeah Locke's clearly been on one leg since returning from injury. Overall, this season has been very poor from him - after his amazing run in the second half of 2011.

i wouldn't call it poor. he's just been hampered with injury so hes been very quiet.

and how desperate we were calling for him back when he was out of the side?

7/10 so far for me

ozbash

Referee
Which is why it comes down to more than pure luck. It worked for Manly because they had 3-4 people in position to reach the ball who were all desperate for the ball.

Meanwhile we had nobody really desperate for the ball as right now they're all too afraid to be the one who makes that vital mistake so they hesitate in the hope that someone else will be forced to make the play.

Think you are onto something there.

We have no chase unless its a planned "kick it to Manu" move.

Big Pete

Referee
From an outsider's perspective it just seemed like the Warriors were up against it from the outset.

When Maloney announced his intentions before the season even started, I received the impression that the Warriors were going to be little chance. I don't know what it is, but when a key playmaker like Maloney announces their intentions, it always tends to have a big impact on their club & I can't remember the last club to win a premiership knowing one of their halves was headed to another club.

Throw in huge expectations based on an (and I mean this as a compliment) overachieving finals campaign, new coach, blooding of rookies and an injury toll that ate into one of your biggest strengths and it's no wonder really.

As much as the Broncos are struggling, got to say I feel for you blokes. You guys could very well be right up there in this competition and the NRL would be better off to have such a young and exciting side headlining. However, things just haven't gone your way.

There is still time for your guys to claw their way in there. I reckon there's about 3 spots up for grabs in the 8, I certainly don't think the Broncos are much hope anymore so who knows, maybe you'll pull an 08.

All the best guys. Looking forward to your game this weekend, and watching how some of your younger guys go.

Skinner

Coach
From an outsider's perspective it just seemed like the Warriors were up against it from the outset.

When Maloney announced his intentions before the season even started, I received the impression that the Warriors were going to be little chance. I don't know what it is, but when a key playmaker like Maloney announces their intentions, it always tends to have a big impact on their club & I can't remember the last club to win a premiership knowing one of their halves was headed to another club.

Throw in huge expectations based on an (and I mean this as a compliment) overachieving finals campaign, new coach, blooding of rookies and an injury toll that ate into one of your biggest strengths and it's no wonder really.

As much as the Broncos are struggling, got to say I feel for you blokes. You guys could very well be right up there in this competition and the NRL would be better off to have such a young and exciting side headlining. However, things just haven't gone your way.

There is still time for your guys to claw their way in there. I reckon there's about 3 spots up for grabs in the 8, I certainly don't think the Broncos are much hope anymore so who knows, maybe you'll pull an 08.

All the best guys. Looking forward to your game this weekend, and watching how some of your younger guys go.

All good sense there Pete

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It was flukey in the sense that they still even had the ball after Watmough played the ball facing the sideline.

hitro

Juniors

good post big pete
nice to hear some impartial sensible comments

Latest posts