What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what went wrong with 2012 ?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Inexperience for me has been the single biggest factor, across the board from players to coaching staff. Add to that, injuries to the wrong people, mainly our most experienced ones.

100 games seems to be the mark to be considered a veteran. Considering we've been using around 11 NYC players a week, and Matulino is the first to break the 100 mark that suggests a lot of inexperience. Add to that guys like Maloney/Brown who I guess you could call late bloomers haven't reached the 100 mark either.

Looking at the squad we started the year with.

Luck - 222 (hasn't played sans a few minutes)
Mannering -164
Friend - 148 (spent a few weeks out)
Manu - 146 (always injured at some point)
Ropati - 138 (hardly played)
Lillyman - 134 (missed first half of season)
Mateo - 134
Rapira - 129 (hardly played)
Inu - 106 (yes, I know)
Matulino -104

10 guys with 100 game experience, which is about the norm for the NRL, but considering only 4 of those guys have played we've been caught short in the experience department.

tangalife

Juniors
-Letting Inu go to another club. Should have let the tosser rot in reserve grade, rather than allowing another team to benefit from his poor attitude at the Warriors.

at risk of another Inu shitstorm argument, can you prove his alleged "poor" attitude here?

seems like that poor attitude has only turned into success at the Bulldogs

hitman82

Bench
at risk of another Inu shitstorm argument, can you prove his alleged "poor" attitude here?

seems like that poor attitude has only turned into success at the Bulldogs

Can't prove it - opinion based entirely on hearsay from numerous sources over a long period of time, three coaches and two clubs.
Basically, I have heard he's pussy whipped and the missus wasn't happy here. She's happy back in Sydney (probably putting out more) and he is playing well. I know I play better when I get laid lots and am not kept awake at night by a nagging bitch.

I've heard a couple of places that this player is going to the Panthers.

That is REALLY interesting.

Rich102

Staff member
Oh, where to start?
The club had a major enquiry into it's operations two years ago? Has it learned anything? Sadly very little.

We have played for how long with a poorly functioning back line?
Honestly, two second rowers playing in the centers last season, we should have learned a lesson. Did we? No.
If Bluey wasn't going to play Inu he should have punted him before the season started and replaced him with an import.
Ropati was diabolical early season. Any judge of centers would have punted him, at least to Vulcans, and watched him closely. What do we do? Re-sign him early in the season. Why? Certainly no other club would have been after him.
So early season we lose both centers. There is more to the Inu fiasco than we are being told.
Manu, on the wing, is our highest paid player. Ridiculous.
Tupou - very ordinary. Slaimankhel just hasn't stepped up. Locke is rarely injury free and is hanging off tackles.
Is there a worse back line in the competition?
I can't think of one.
And then we have the Owen Glenn announcement. "I said to Bluey do we want Sonny Bill? And he said no he had the squad he needed to win the competition" Yeah right.
So our major signing is who? Anyone who watched him against Inu knows who got the better buy.
The academy will be great in the future - we need results now.
I can tell Owen we need a second rower with a bit of attitude, a class center who can attack and a pair of fast wingers who can defend - right now.

We had all the early season hype about moving to Eden Park. At least the club took a poll on that and it rightly got punted. So they have learned something.

I am leaving Bluey's performance out of this- I will give him one more year. However I have to say the fact he ignored Inu and released him early to go to the Dogs where he has excelled has to be a point against Bluey. The coach has to be a man manager. He doesn't have to like his players but he has to find a way to get the best from them.

How many players have we released over the last two years? Who have we replaced them with?

So where are we? In a year where we could realistically hope to get into the top 4 with a good shot at the GF we are currently outside the 8.
Will next year be another rebuilding year?
Are we playing good football? Well our attack has improved but our defence is woeful.

If all we are going to do is promote juniors then why keep Dean Bell? Surely John Ackland is the main recruiter of junior talent.

We can see which clubs have got it right. The Dogs and Sharks are well above us.

Hold on. The Warrior's rollercoaster hasn't ended yet.

TheDMC

Bench
One issue is definitely a lack of mongrel. Okay we get some good go forward and big Ben delivers the occasional shoulder but we are generally quite passive and intimidation factor pretty much zero. Has any warrior been suspended this year or even racked up some penalty points? We could surmise that its just good discipline, but I would suggest a lack of playing on the edge...

hitman82

Bench
Reason Number 13:
-Between rounds 20 and 21, Bluey McClennan drank straight whiskey 24 hours a day.

Micistm

Bench
Without getting into the specifics at this stage: We've lost so many games that we should have won (not based on potential, based on how the game actually panned out) that if we'd won them all we'd be 1st on the table

Dominating strong opposition like the Storm and Broncos and still losing is bad enough, but losing to the Knights, Sharks and Tigers in games we had full control of was just outrageous

Agree with this, there's a parallel universe somewhere where the Warriors are first...
IMO it's a lot of little things that have accumulated to create where we are. Lack of experience with a young side, injured experienced players, a rookie coach doing some head scratching selections and subbing decisions, some players not stepping up enough...lots of little things.

Theres things I do like though, Matulino, Hurrell, more experience under the belt of Johnson...trying not to be too depressed, but there's not denying the year has been disappointing.
It's not over yet though! Yes, indeed, it could get WAY worse...:lol:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
What went wrong? People didn't listen to the golden god Fast Eddie who saw the writing on the wall halfway through the Manly season opener.

Hanscholo

Bench
In the NRL talent only goes so far, it takes a lot of hard work and most of all mental strength to reach the top and to be consistent. I think this is a very talented team, but I don't see the kind of killer instinct, or the tough underbelly it takes to win comps.

You blokes shoulda put 40 on Newcastle if you were aiming up, and with the start you had. Its just a piss poor effort to get run down like that.

Sides like Newcastle have worked out ( via the coach ) that it isn't about how brilliant you can be, its about how hard you try. Bellamy, Hasler do the same...they instil toughness into the young men. I think it would be frightening to see a warriors side coached like that. I've been waiting a very long time.

Aragorn

First Grade
In the NRL talent only goes so far, it takes a lot of hard work and most of all mental strength to reach the top and to be consistent. I think this is a very talented team, but I don't see the kind of killer instinct, or the tough underbelly it takes to win comps.

You blokes shoulda put 40 on Newcastle if you were aiming up, and with the start you had. Its just a piss poor effort to get run down like that.

Sides like Newcastle have worked out ( via the coach ) that it isn't about how brilliant you can be, its about how hard you try. Bellamy, Hasler do the same...they instil toughness into the young men. I think it would be frightening to see a warriors side coached like that. I've been waiting a very long time.

+1 well put Hans.:clap:

Iafeta

Referee
What went wrong? People didn't listen to the golden god Fast Eddie who saw the writing on the wall halfway through the Manly season opener.

Don't you mean, golden rod?

What went wrong... hmmm, you could cover it off with a summary the length of two Crime and Punishments, what went right you could cover off with the length of golden rod's schlong - a couple of inches.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't think I will really bother responding to that poor quality banter.

It's no surprise that I called McClennan out very early on in the season. Interestingly mainly around interchange use, team selection and defensive structure. People have since jumped on that bandwagon. Called Ben Henry and Bill Tupou out after a game or two. Bandwagon has been jumped on. Talked up how good a player Inu is when given a decent chance, the results speak for themselves. A true visionary. The rest of you only get it after about 20 rounds, takes me just 1 or 2.

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
I don't think I will really bother responding to that poor quality banter.

It's no surprise that I called McClennan out very early on in the season. Interestingly mainly around interchange use, team selection and defensive structure. People have since jumped on that bandwagon. Called Ben Henry and Bill Tupou out after a game or two. Bandwagon has been jumped on. Talked up how good a player Inu is when given a decent chance, the results speak for themselves. A true visionary. The rest of you only get it after about 20 rounds, takes me just 1 or 2.

you almost had a great point there until you brought Inu into the mix.

playdaball

Bench
The club has fallen in love with this development idea. Good in theory but needs to be balanced as a club's performance is generally based around it's top team not it's u20 side or how many in the backline have played for the U20 side.

Sign a couple of players now before it is too late.

Still have doubts about the coaching team as well.