What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what went wrong with 2012 ?

JoeD

First Grade
Our team is very good attacking wise

I think this is a bit of a myth. We have barely been able to score a point in the second half the last few weeks. In certain games (Melbourne away comes to mind) we have Completely dominated the opposition for long periods yet only been up by 10 points. Our backs have not been able to capitalize on the forwards often outstanding play.

JoeD

First Grade
Also want to back up what Manu said about being unlucky last night. Every hail Mary play that manly tried last night worked. I can think of other lucky tries that cost us in close games ( utai tripping over to score, manly rd 1 wolfman chipping infield as hes getting bundled out. )

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Is that luck though? Or is it just about finding a tactic that works. We had Manu, Tupou, Brown, Henry/Hurrell out in the centres. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that our entire backline will turn like the titanic. On top of that Locke looked very hesitant to really attack the ball.

They got some good bounces, but the odds were well and truly in their favour because they had guys who were desperate to get to the ball.

Of course there's a lot of luck involved in doing that 3 times in one game. Any one of those kicks could have taken a funny bounce. The second last try in particular, was just sort of a wobbly grubber that evaded Locke, I'm not even sure that was entirely deliberate.

Actually in all 3 of those tries, Locke had a fairly simply 1-on-1 tackle to make and missed them all....not sure that's been talked about enough here. What was he doing on the Taufua try? He was running like Luke Covell....

Iafeta

Referee
If the club makes any changes to our playing/coaching roster, 2013 will become a mirror image of this season.

Our team is very good attacking wise but lacks experience/maturity in defending a lead.

Next year and the one after will be a lot better imo, the team will fall into place and we will become a real premiership force.

I actually dont think we have done that badly to be honest...

I'd say its an epic shocker of a season. I've watched the likes of Penrith and Parramatta and thought, wow, they are hopeless... and to think we really aren't that far ahead of them. Then I've watched the Dragons, Knights, and Titans, and at various points you wondered whether any were fair dinkum, maybe they were half pie shots at the wooden spoon. Now they are all far greater chances at the finals than we are.

This is from a mob who were grand finalists in three grades last year. This is a horror season from hell. They look they're coached by the U6s cricket coach from Carterton.

ozbash

Referee
I think this is a bit of a myth. We have barely been able to score a point in the second half the last few weeks. In certain games (Melbourne away comes to mind) we have Completely dominated the opposition for long periods yet only been up by 10 points. Our backs have not been able to capitalize on the forwards often outstanding play.

Where we come unstuck is defending a lead.
We are good enough, lately, to put onearly points but cant stop the opposition when the pressure goes on.

V Knights was a classic example.

Micistm

Bench
Lol I learnt his thoughts about it when my phone went off a couple of mins after full time

I don't usually watch rugger but sisters BF came over to watch so was polite...that got the WE off to a ripper start. Ah well I thought, the Warriors game will cheers me up...:lol:
Today I bought a new Lux to replace the useless one. I needed one that sucked as much as the Warriors season...
You hear me Warriors? Look what you've reduced me to. I'm excited purchasing a new ****ing vacuum cleaner

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Of course there's a lot of luck involved in doing that 3 times in one game. Any one of those kicks could have taken a funny bounce. The second last try in particular, was just sort of a wobbly grubber that evaded Locke, I'm not even sure that was entirely deliberate.

Actually in all 3 of those tries, Locke had a fairly simply 1-on-1 tackle to make and missed them all....not sure that's been talked about enough here. What was he doing on the Taufua try? He was running like Luke Covell....

Of course there's some luck, but when a team keeps doing it and they consistently get to the ball first there's more to it than luck. I wouldn't write it off as pure luck. Manly consistently had support runners following the ball, after the 45th minute mark we had nobody. That's not luck.

As for Locke's tackling, this comes back to what i was saying about him looking hesitant to attack the ball. It looked like his mind got caught between attacking the ball or marking the man and in the end did neither.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Of course there's some luck, but when a team keeps doing it and they consistently get to the ball first there's more to it than luck.

For starters, I don't think they kept chipping ahead because it was some sort of genius tactic, I think it was simply a standard Hail Mary play. On one occasion there were 5 seconds to go until half-time, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the other two were both on the last tackle with them desperately needing a try? With 2 exceptions they weren't able to crack our line otherwise.

Also, yes there was more to it than luck- there was a fullback who repeatedly failed to make 1-on-1 tackles.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
At the end of the day we have to blame ourselves for the various errors that have lead to us conceding these crucial tries- but it's been uncanny this season how, whenever the opposition has needed a try, pretty much any miracle play they attempt has come off. Sometimes shit just happens and there's no rationalising it.

Micistm

Bench
Ok, maybe wrong word. I'll replace badly with poorly.

A lot of our losses have been what Id call 'positive' defeats. We only just lost and for a good part of most games we played pretty well.

Jeez the Eels mustve been really positive last year with all those golden point losses...;-)

Micistm

Bench
At the end of the day we have to blame ourselves for the various errors that have lead to us conceding these crucial tries- but it's been uncanny this season how, whenever the opposition has needed a try, pretty much any miracle play they attempt has come off. Sometimes shit just happens and there's no rationalising it.

Yeah, was filthy straight after the game, but emotion takes over then. Nothing ever seems that bad with a new vacuum cleaner.

MKEB...

Staff member
Meaning it sucks more (or should do) than the last one?
Never heard that ananolgy before. :cool:

Benek

Juniors

I agree with this. Our attack is good in the first 20 minutes, but after that we struggle to score any more points even when we have field position and opportunities. It means that we can only execute when we are perfectly fresh with a starting team on the field. Once anyone gets tired, injured, interchanged, or anything wrong goes against us the whole things crumbles to shit.

Having said that, our attack is way better than defense. The reason we need to be so good on attack to win is because we give up 24 points per game. It's no surprise about the stat that we've never win scoring less than 26! Against good teams we shouldn't be expected to score than many points. We need to fix up the dreadful fringe defense before the attack is even worth talking about.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah's shouldering the blame for the clubs' atrocious run of form.
Coach Brian McClennan has come under intense criticism for their recent results, which are likely to see them miss out on the top eight.
Many are calling for McClennan's head in his first year in charge but Scurrah says the spotlight is on the wrong person.
"I'm more accountable than Brian to be honest, you know I've got to take it on the chin more than Brian. We're not happy where we are and we either put up the white flag or we work harder to make it right."
The club will also take a financial hit if the NRL side fails to make the finals.
The New Zealand franchise is unlikely to make the top eight, needing to win their remaining four matches.

After making last year's Grand Final, Scurrah says their hopes were high.

"We budget to make the top eight each year, and that's sort of a middle of the road type effect. But our gates have been fantastic, our membership has grown enormously, our merchandise has been terrific, we are the number one club in the NRL."
He says if they don't make the top eight, the season will be a failure.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/spleg/1155237051-scurrah-takes-blame-for-warriors-bad-form

The buck has to stop with Scurrah - though he fails to explain where he has gone wrong and how he will fix it.
However for me:
He has set up a culture where mediocrity is acceptable. Poor performances should be punished not rewarded. Double standards with regards to players is unacceptable and will affect morale.
He was distracted by the Eden Park debate instead of having his mind on winning the Grand Final.
Team Warrior must focus on winning - the rest is bumf.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Four remaining matches? Woops Mr Reporter.

Scurrah is the man to blame - he appointed Bluey. I agree. I don't think he believes what he's saying though, it's just arse covering to take the heat off a coach that isn't up to it.

hitman82

Bench
Hmm. Our coach has made a number of mistakes (some of which he has publicly admitted to) and has taken time to adapt to the NRL and his new club. But I actually think player recruitment and retention, combined with an atrocious injury toll to our experienced players, has more to to with our 2012 failure than Bluey does.

Blair

Coach
For a number of our early years the Warriors were considered vulnerable in the last twenty minutes or so - a 'lack of stamina' commentators would call it.

We seem to have regressed back to this.

Latest posts