What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So who is the worst coach in the NRL?

Moffo

Referee
Its a tricky question

Firstly you've got to consider the ability of the coach, when stacked up against the talent that they have on offer. For instance, it'd be easy to say someone like Elliott but he did a great job with a punch of strugglers in Canberra

At this stage i'm going to say Ivan Cleary. This guy has a gun of a team but they consistently underperform. Losing to a second string melbourne today was confirmation of this. The guy is a sh*t

Honourable mentions to Nathan Brown who has done SFA with a great team on paper and Ricky Stuart, who managed to kill a quality roosters team after they won the premiership in his first year

Blaze

Juniors
Ivan Cleary did well last year. Starting from -4 he got the Warriors on a good run. They had enough wins to make the 8 last year.

'gun team'

lol. Witt, and Rovelli in the halves. Blockbusting Tony Martin and Lance Hohaia in the centres.
Yeah real gun.

explain how ricky stuart killed our team?

since ricky stuart took over, exit: brad fittler, jayson cayless, michael crocker, brett mullins, simon bonetti, bryan fletcher, luke ricketson, justin hodges, shannon hegarty, ned catic, peter cusak, brett finch, todd byrne and reserve graders for us like ben hannant, george rose, chris walker, eric grothe jr, chad robinson, david kidwell, todd payten, mark minichiello f**k the list goes on ... what was he left with? we had great depth and obviously players like kidwell, mark minichiello, grothe, hannant wanted to leave to further their careers and the rest command too much money and couldn't be kept (apart from bonetti, fittler and ricketson) ricky stuart didn't kill us, the salary cap did, ricky stuart was unfairly blamed for our lack of form ... and yes i was critical of him, i was critical of his constant chop and change of our team, not the results

Moffo

Referee
how many guys did you buy in that time? FFS you bought everyone under the sun and continued to get sh*tter. Ash Harrison was a star before he went there, now he is sh*t. Ditto for Amo Roberts, Joel Monaghan and another half dozen players

sydraider

First Grade
Elliot had more experienced players at the raiders than what Henry has now. To me we are streets ahead with what we have and how we are performing under Henry.

One look at the Panthers this season speaks a fair whack of elliots coaching skills, Losing peter wallace is another major f**k up. Perhaps elliot has plans for Nathan Smith to take over the pivot role.

mongoose

Coach
Moffo said:
Its a tricky question

Firstly you've got to consider the ability of the coach, when stacked up against the talent that they have on offer. For instance, it'd be easy to say someone like Elliott but he did a great job with a punch of strugglers in Canberra

At this stage i'm going to say Ivan Cleary. This guy has a gun of a team but they consistently underperform. Losing to a second string melbourne today was confirmation of this. The guy is a sh*t

Honourable mentions to Nathan Brown who has done SFA with a great team on paper and Ricky Stuart, who managed to kill a quality roosters team after they won the premiership in his first year

The warriors are not a gun of a team. They have one of the weakest 1,6,7,9 combinations in the comp.

Moffo

Referee
mckinnon and fien are weak? you're kidding, they are both very underrated. ropati is a good player as well

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Blaze said:
Ivan Cleary did well last year. Starting from -4 he got the Warriors on a good run. They had enough wins to make the 8 last year.

'gun team'

lol. Witt, and Rovelli in the halves. Blockbusting Tony Martin and Lance Hohaia in the centres.
Yeah real gun.

You're not going well if you're claiming Martin is rubbish. He's been a standout this year - although that could be a sign...........

The Warriors don't have a gun team. Go moff!

f**k the 1,6,7,9 combo, we need motherf**ken forwards

azza

Juniors
Of coaches that have been in the gig for a few years at NRL level, Matt Elliott. Ridiculously overrated.

scottyeel

Bench
sydraider said:
Elliot had more experienced players at the raiders than what Henry has now. To me we are streets ahead with what we have and how we are performing under Henry.

One look at the Panthers this season speaks a fair whack of elliots coaching skills, Losing peter wallace is another major f**k up. Perhaps elliot has plans for Nathan Smith to take over the pivot role.
Or Todd Carney. (Just a Weidler rumour in todays paper).

Eddie.

Bench
The Matty Elliott did a great job in Canberra myth seems to have been exposed.

Raiders fans have been saying there was alot more potential in the club then the game plans Elliott put on the table. Canberra lost 4 or 5 quality players this off season and yet they are playing much more attractive and purposeful footy then at any stage under Elliott.

I Don't know who is the worst coach. Although with Elliott struggling to get wins at a talanted Penrith outfit, he would not be far from the bottom.

Inferno

Coach
lol, I have been saying for a long time Elliot is a myth.

It is being proved now as well with the Raiders 7th, with perhaps the most inexperienced side in the competition and despite losing over 1000 games of experience last year.

Meanwhile Elliot with a vastly superior playing roster and resources has the panthers running 3rd last.

Stuart on the other hand has turned the Sharks from a team who lost 10 in a row to finish the year, to a team who has been in the top 8 for the vast majority of the season with a forward pack making more metres than any other team and also with the second best defence in the league.

Still a lot of work to be done in attack, but still a long way to go yet.

I'd probably go with Brown to be honest, but he's not terrible. I'd have had him over Stuart Raper.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Definately not Ivan Cleary. He did a great job last year, but is obviously struggling a touch in this campaign.

Chris Anderson looks out of his league to me. Though Nathan Brown managed to achieve nought with some sensational Socks teams.

Moffo said:
how many guys did you buy in that time? FFS you bought everyone under the sun and continued to get sh*tter. Ash Harrison was a star before he went there, now he is sh*t. Ditto for Amo Roberts, Joel Monaghan and another half dozen players

thats f**king bullsh*t and you know, we bought every player under the sun, souths do the same thing its called rebuilding, parra do the same thing is structural change, manly do the same thing is called progression, get off our case , we've bought half of what we lost and save for minichiello, wing, flannery and fitzgibbon we don't have anyone left from the 2002 gf, and it's all ricky stuart's fault :crazy:

SALARY CAP
and todd carney to panthers was brought up on 2gb about 2 weeks, f**k weidler and his exclusives after everyone else has talked it up ... someone needs to give him a late pass​

Timbo

Staff member
Elliot by the length of the straight.

All this nonsense about 'supercoach Elliot working wonders with an ordinary team' has been exposed. We are a much worse team now on paper yet playing a thousand times better.

I wish we'd had a real coach for the last few years when we actually had a few rep players in the stable.

Latest posts