What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft players

fat_mike

Juniors
nathan blacklock for sure. never have i seen a player get so dominated in tackles. as soon as his little frame hits the defensive line he drops like a sack of potatos.

lolesi

First Grade
Who ever is saying Stevens is a dead set idiot, and you obviously did not watch one of his games this year.

The Whippet

Juniors
Whoever said Glenn Morrison is joking, your watching the wrong game mate.

I was watching the Raiders game on Sunday and I thought that Phillip Graham was a bit of a soft player, he fell into tackles and didn't run the ball very hard. I just hope that it was because he was been cautious because he had just returned from injury.

Luke Dorn, last year he tried to avoid making tackles at Manly.

tiger_nick

Bench
Dog-E said:
Benji Marshall - Looks OK with the ball in hand, but ask him to make a tackle and he'll either A. Miss B. make an 'accidental' tackle as the player he's after actually just trips over him or C. shatters into 1000 pieces. Needs some bulk bulk if he's to even survive another season - and FAST!!!

I agree he needs to bulk up and does miss alot. However his tackling technique is fine and he goes looking to make alot of tackles. His problem is positioning in defence and he thinks his bigger then he is. i.e shoulder charging Paul Rauhihi and dislocating his shoulder :roll:

PB

Bench
Greenraider said:
9. Woolford (never takes on the line!)

youve got to be joking, this bloke is tuff as nails
what about that try he scored against panthers in round 2

it is perhaps a tough call, but off the top of my head, i can't think of a softer hooker. He averages one dummy half run per game! He is the George Gregan of rugby league!

aphelion

Juniors
Michael Vella. Gets dominated almost every time he hits the ball up. I don't think he's even looked like breaking the line since 2001. Unfortunately, he's rewarded for his softness with a permanent spot in the starting lineup :roll:

Dog-E

Juniors
Robbie_Ross said:
Whoever said Glenn Morrison is joking, your watching the wrong game mate.

We'll see how he goes in the relative limelight away from Townsville, in the second row next to Hindmarsh....My guess is Bargearse will leave him for DEAD stats & performance-wise!

All I know is I would MOST definitely consider Hindy for a start in the Dogs 17 if offered - but i wouldn't have a BAR of Morrison over Mason or Ryan!!...And yet, he's built up to be THE bomb??....At the Cowboys maybe - where he's been nicely sheltered from the media & a relatively low amount of high intensity games...out in the general public, amongst the big boys though - I don't think so!!..he still has much to prove amongst a game of men for mine...

Plus he just needs to really clean himself up...I find it VERY hard to respect ANY footballer that turns out for a game looking as he does! He's married isn't he??...Then why does he bother?? GRADE A Showpony - thats why!!! :roll:

Dog-E

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Dog-E said:
Benji Marshall - Looks OK with the ball in hand, but ask him to make a tackle and he'll either A. Miss B. make an 'accidental' tackle as the player he's after actually just trips over him or C. shatters into 1000 pieces. Needs some bulk bulk if he's to even survive another season - and FAST!!!

I agree he needs to bulk up and does miss alot. However his tackling technique is fine and he goes looking to make alot of tackles. His problem is positioning in defence and he thinks his bigger then he is. i.e shoulder charging Paul Rauhihi and dislocating his shoulder :roll:

Then your problem is the coach?....Because it is clear he has been used out of his depth this season...when Sheens said exactly the OPPOSITE would occur!

Why the @&#*($) is he trying to shoulder-charge Rauhihi for instance??....Even if Shifty - who is about TWICE the weight of Marshall - tried that on Rauhihi- there could only ever be one conclusion - Sherwin clattering to the turf - BANG!!!

Can't run without bloody legs though, as the wise old Jack Gibson used to say!

He needs to play a helluva lot smarter if he's to have a long-term career in NRL at his size...and Sheens needs to make him acutely aware of that!

Chris "AWOL" Walker - The mere mention of his name makes me laugh :lol: What a joke "AWOL" is!!

Michael Crocker - Feels the need to stick an elbow or a palm into the face of almost every player tackled. :roll:

Justin Hodges - :lol: :lol: :lol: Need I say more????

wittyfan

Referee
canyoudigit said:
Brad Meyers
Dane Carlaw
Michael Vella
Jason Stevens
Josh Perry
Chad Randall
Rodney Howe

Take your pick, all softcocks!

I don't think of Chad being a softcock at all! :eek:

salivor

First Grade
Well if I had to nominate one player from my team it would probably be Karmichael Hunt. I don't necessarily think he's soft as such but more scared after some of the special attention he has recieved this year. Quite often he shields his head when going down in a tackle and also needs to commit more on defence but nothing out of the norm for a 17 year old being thrust into first grade rugby league.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
antonius said:
Bring it home Knights said:
antonius said:
antonius said:
Have there been any players going around that you would consider soft compared to the other players in the game.

The ones that stand out to me is Darren Albert. He was a great player, but was always submitting in tackles and when it came to running into another player he slowed right down and preserved himself for the contact.

The other is sean Rudder. If he was ever passed the ball and the defence was close to him he would 99% of the time knock it on as he was far more scared of the collision then catching the ball.
How did I know his name woud pop up in this thread??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you'd like me to, I can make a thread up of worst buys and I can sit back and wait for you to bag Tim maddison for the 50th time.
Find them all Bring it? bet you can't because as usual your exagerating. While your at it tell what Maddison did for our club during his there?

I can't be bothered looking for all of them, plus alot of them were on the old knights forum.
One word Bring it....Crap, I've bagged him no more than any other player that IMO deserved it, and it was nowhere near your exagerated "50 odd times" and you know it. Again what benifits did Maddison bring?
Anyway back the original question, one of my all time favs would be Nathan Blacklock.

He didn't do anything when he came back. I doubt he was on much money though so it wasn't that bad a thing.

Vicious

Bench
Stuart Kelly-The worst winger in the comp.Watch how many tries get scored down his wing?Dead set pot plant.
Tony Grimaldi-What is this bloke doing in the side.He`s a constant weak link for the Bulldogs.All he does is get in the way of backline movements.
Mark O`Neill-Same as Grimaldi
Tyran Smith-Same as Grimaldi and O`Neill only worse
Dane Carlaw-For a man of his speed,size and athletisism,he is disgracefull
Todd Payten-Refuses to hit the ball up hard
Matt Gidley&Josh Perry-Unfortunately for Newcastle,these 2 won`t have a go when the chips are down

Dog-E

Juniors
Geez....Karmichael Hunt goes allright in the guts stakes for a 17yo if u ask me! :!:

His last-line defence is nothing to be sneezed at @ such a young age either!

But I spose like a lot of us - I've only really seen bits n pieces of Hunt...but whenever I HAVE seen him, I must say - he's seemed top drawer in every department!

aids

Bench
any player dean widders (mate) runs at, they turn to custard when they see him.

4 serious.

also visious, nothing worng with tyran smith, i gave him my man of the match for the game on the weekend.
be brougth the niggle and it really upset easts for the first 20minutes.
it realyl showed how frustrated they were getting.

softest player i can think of is Tim-Tam Tahoo.

Dog-E

Juniors
Vicious said:
Tony Grimaldi-What is this bloke doing in the side.He`s a constant weak link for the Bulldogs.All he does is get in the way of backline movements.

:oops:

Erm....WHEN??

His main job is to DEFEND - which he does admirably, being by far & away our top tackler this season & last...not attack!

I sure as hell don't remember him getting in the way anyway!...But this thread is about TOUGHNESS in abny case - and there is NO doubt whatsoever amongst Dogs fans if nobody else - that though certainly not flashy, or headline-grabbing - Grimmers is one tough customer!

A very puzzling post indeed Vicious!?!...Please elaborate if u can! :?