What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill

Micistm

Bench
I was, but it doesn't really matter in any case - an example from any professional sport would suffice. If other professional sportsmen (or women) have terminated their contracts before time and not been vilified for it, then why is Sonny Bill? Players get out of their contracts all the time but we don't hear about it because it is usually done with the agreement of both parties - clubs dont want to keep players who are not committed, so they come to some arrangement (usually it means the player will get a little more money if they agree to keep the terms confidential.) The difference with SBW is that he didn't inform the club of his intentions. Sure, people might call that cowardly but a decision like that is not taken lightly and, if the gossip is to be believed, one he would not make without consulting the people that are close to him (depending on who you believe it is either the Mundine/Nassar clique or the Umaga clan.) So until I hear otherwise I am prepared to accept that he had very good reasons for doing what he did. Besides, I am sure the doggies got their full pound of flesh out of him, since it is the club that holds the purse-strings and are they bleating on about how Sonny Bill diddled them two years after the event? No. They're not. And they are the only ones that have a right to feel aggrieved - not the fans. Christ, players come and go from clubs constantly. Every year I get pissed at the players the warriors didn't hold onto so why would the loss of Sonny Bill be any more disturbing than any other player?

Jeez, this is exercising my brain too much, who gives a shit anyway.:?

Yes, do strain too hard mate.

But in answer to your question, why are people out for SBW when others leave contracts...can't think of any others that have left in the way he has. We are just repeating the same stuff over and over, but it doesn't seem to sink in.
If we think that someone that whinges about his contract- then re-signs for longer/more money- pledges allegience- then sneaks out- then sends a spiteful video back to be played on public TV about the code he left and his team Club )including pulling the race card on his former card... we are small minded and bigoted.:lol:

IMHO, I am in a minority, but I was never that much of a fan of him as a player either. Even in League. I thought he was good- obviously he was- but nowhere what all the hyoe was suggesting. Big strong, athletic...good offload... but not a creator of plays, not a work grinder, and when a basic pass is required without the BS...he's pretty average at it. Is he worth all the hype, all the money, all the hassle with him and his Bruvvers? IMO, not even close.

Micistm

Bench
Summing up: Hate is probably a strong word, as I don't know the guy either. But I dislike his way of doing things.
Frankly, I wouldn't be shedding a tear if he left for France, never to play a rep game again. IMO he is a rookie with potential, nothing more or less. To suggest he is talented enough to be held in the same esteem as Carter or McCaw-which is what the hype suggests- is ridiculous.
His past actions through is career suggests he is self serving, not a team player, not true to his word, and unreliable. Not a person I would want in my team.

ThirdEye

Juniors
If we think that someone that whinges about his contract- then re-signs for longer/more money- pledges allegience- then sneaks out- then sends a spiteful video back to be played on public TV about the code he left and his team Club )including pulling the race card on his former card... we are small minded and bigoted.:lol:
See, it is just your opinion that the video he sent was spiteful - I saw it as an earnest attempt to explain himelf. People like yourself were clamouring for answers, and then when he gives one you vilify him for that too. A reasonable person can understand why and how it happened - the guy is young and impressionable and is unhappy where he is. Nothing he has done is so bad that it cant be forgotten.

And I bet you never heard Sonny Bill whinge about his contract - you heard other people speculate as to why he might have been unhappy but he never commented on it other than to repeat a few facts about it that were already in the public domain.

Micistm

Bench
Mate, there's no helping you. He did whinge about his contract, through RLW, through other media in Australia, publicly stated so on TV...
The video he sent back was shocking. If you cannot even see that- Good god, you must be a relative or the bloke himself.

Micistm

Bench
Doesn't surprise me - 99% of people are idiots anyway.

And SBW is top of that list. Blind eye, you stun me. I have never seen anyone so absolutely and utterly act as an apologist for such idiotic acts. But keep fighting that fight of the 1%...Mudine and co I'm sure like the support

worier

Juniors
Not to sure if it's already been mentioned rumour is that the Roosters are planning to buy SBW out of the bulldogs. So we could see him in a Roosters strip next season.

Not to sure if it's already been mentioned rumour is that the Roosters are planning to buy SBW out of the bulldogs. So we could see him in a Roosters strip next season.

LOL @ Roosters topping the rumours for another signing

Bondi needs to get their own, f**k off!

He will return to the NRL but with a New Franchise...

ThirdEye

Juniors
And SBW is top of that list. Blind eye, you stun me. I have never seen anyone so absolutely and utterly act as an apologist for such idiotic acts. But keep fighting that fight of the 1%...Mudine and co I'm sure like the support
One could turn that statement on its head: it is the strength of feeling against him that forces my hand. He was under pressure and badly advised - it is the do-gooders like Umaga and the agenda-driven Mundine who should bear the brunt of the criticism. He is a young guy who wants to play top-level footy week-in week-out and I fear that, in the long run, only the likes of the NRL can deliver that to him.

Micistm

Bench
One could turn that statement on its head: it is the strength of feeling against him that forces my hand. He was under pressure and badly advised - it is the do-gooders like Umaga and the agenda-driven Mundine who should bear the brunt of the criticism. He is a young guy who wants to play top-level footy week-in week-out and I fear that, in the long run, only the likes of the NRL can deliver that to him.

Of course Mundine & co should carry a good chunk of criticism...but you seem to miss the point you do not get one without the other. It is a joint package and the main reason he is such a liability...for anything he can do onfield-which IMO is not nearly as much as claimed-you have all the off field crap as well, and that won't be gone any time soon.

Micistm

Bench
He is a young guy who wants to play top-level footy week-in week-out

To use one of your own quotes, that is your opinion, not fact. I have yet to hear him say that all he wants to do is play top footy week in week out. But he says so many things, and is off in so many directions it's hard to know what the guy wants tbh.:lol:
If the Roosters rumour is true I'd laugh like hell- After the video he sent back (which you liked, which is your opinion and fair enough) where he not only bagged the Dogs club but the entire NRL...that would be the ultimate flip flop in a very flakey career:lol:

Micistm

Bench
Come on Blind eye...level with us. A jokes a joke. You're taking the piss aren't you? Just being so ridiculously apologist to get a bite and a laugh?
Seriously, good job there, you had us suckered in well!

ThirdEye

Juniors
To use one of your own quotes, that is your opinion, not fact.
I dont think there can be any doubt that anyone who has played first grade footy wants to play it week-in week-out - that is a given, surely? To reach that level a player must have that as a basic requirement.

And no, this is not a wind-up, but I'm happy to hear that some of you are indeed getting wound-up. There's only one thing worse than an argument on a forum, and that is having no argument at all.

Micistm

Bench
And no, this is not a wind-up, but I'm happy to hear that some of you are indeed getting wound-up. There's only one thing worse than an argument on a forum, and that is having no argument at all.

Seriously, not a wind up? You seriously believe the stuff you're preaching?:shock:

ThirdEye

Juniors
This thread is about SBW, not me. Have you got anything else on the topic of Sonny Bill that I haven't already successfully rebutted?