What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO Game 1

bartman

Immortal
So Hayne is left out because of the head butt but we pick the team full of grubs like Ennis,Gallen,Bird???? I mean Ennis and Gallen cost us game 3 last year through stupid penalties while Hayne was just about the best player on the park(at fullback).
And we get back to a discussion I was having in another thread with Parra Guru... There is a difference between players who are grubs and niggle and try to get under the opposition's skinn (like Gallen and Ennis) and players like Hayne who they get a reaction out of (e.g. the headbutt) once they get under his skin. I can see why a coach might want players that can (mostly legally) niggle, but not want players that lose their composure and reaction.

I don't particularly like Gallen and Ennis (or Bird, or Slater), but can see why they get picked.

I truly believe Hayne after being NSW best player for 4 series and finally getting the fullback job took it with both hands and did well. Dugan hadn't done enough to take it off Hayne and after watching tonight Sticky made the wrong call.
Fair enough. I look at it though that Hayne did enough to take the position off Hayne. If he didn't get himself a dumb suspension two weeks before the team selection, I reckon he would have been picked. Hayne will learn from this and be better for it. As I've said elsewhere, I would have picked Hayne on the wing and given Dugan a go, but can see why Stuart didn't.

I doubt that. It would be opposite to what he said for Origin 1
I agree yy. And it would be unorthodox to go into a rep game carrying a back on the bench and weakening your forward rotations - it just doesn't work.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Merrin has a very good future but maybe a fit Weyman should be brought in for the rest of the series.

We need some bigger boppers with lots of mobility to contain the Qld props and even get over the top of them - Do we have any?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And we get back to a discussion I was having in another thread with Parra Guru... There is a difference between players who are grubs and niggle and try to get under the opposition's skinn (like Gallen and Ennis) and players like Hayne who they get a reaction out of (e.g. the headbutt) once they get under his skin. I can see why a coach might want players that can (mostly legally) niggle, but not want players that lose their composure and reaction.

I don't particularly like Gallen and Ennis (or Bird, or Slater), but can see why they get picked.

Fair enough. I look at it though that Hayne did enough to take the position off Hayne. If he didn't get himself a dumb suspension two weeks before the team selection, I reckon he would have been picked. Hayne will learn from this and be better for it. As I've said elsewhere, I would have picked Hayne on the wing and given Dugan a go, but can see why Stuart didn't.

I agree yy. And it would be unorthodox to go into a rep game carrying a back on the bench and weakening your forward rotations - it just doesn't work.
Sticky had been ringing up Dugan every week all season, sounds to me Hayne never had a hope. Stuart wanted a traditional fullback but Dugan was playing 2nd recieiver quite a bit. seems to me Sticky doesn't like Hayne, might go back to 2006 when Hayne didn't get a run for the Kangaroos but a scumbag like Juda's was picked straight from Pommyland. Who knows but NSW arte weaker for noth having him in the side. Pick the both of them FFS!!! They can interchange when needed.

MrT

Juniors
I thought Dugan had a great game and he deserves the fullback spot I think if hayne makes the next team he will be on the bench and young will miss out. If I had my choice ibwould have Dugan fullback and uate and hayne on the wings I'm not a Morris fan

Dugan had a great game? I must have been watching something else.
Where was he for the first try when the ball was on the ground for a eternity?

He created nothing on his own. Origin is a game for champions and I'm sorry but Hayne is a champion and Dugan is not.

Dugan is only in the team because of Stuart and everyone knows that.
NSW backs look strong and they would have got more quality ball with Hayne in the team

EELICIT

Juniors

He created nothing on his own. Origin is a game for champions and I'm sorry but Hayne is a champion and Dugan is not.

NSW backs look strong and they would have got more quality ball with Hayne in the team

:clap::clap::clap:

eels81236

Bench
Tom Learoyd Lars (sp?) in for Queen.
Hayne in on the wing for Morris. (It's genius. Why didn't anyone think of this earlier?)

The caravan rolls on...

Glenn

First Grade
Really?

Sometimes I think we blue and gold fans overrate Hayne's impact significantly. I've lost count of the number of our games (just take 5 of this year's 6 losses) where I wait for Hayne to have that type of match-turning impact at club level, and it doesn't happen. I highly doubt Hayne's presence alone would have been a factor in changing tonight's result.

Also would have given NSW another option in clearing kicks rather than relying on Soward.

Snoochies

First Grade
It seemed that Dugan played somewhat of a 5/8 role last night in attack as well. Surely Hayne > Dugan in that aspect.

strider

Post Whore
if you look at the NSW front rower stats for runs and metres you go, OMFG! ... none of them did much - but mannah had the best stats by a little

Joely01

Bench

:clap::clap: Totally agree, as soon as that first try was scored the first thing i thought was where is dugan? as i said in a post before he was terrible with positional play tonight, Hayne is often bagged for his positional play but most times he actually end up getting the ball out of danger even if its just with pure speed.

And for people saying Dugan was ok last night, for me that doesnt cut it in the origin arena, you cant just play ok in a state of origin game.

Hayne must come back as fullback and if stuart needs to see his love child in the team (dugan) put him on the wing and make him do his apprenticeship there, he would be better for it. People saying put hayne on the wing just doesnt work for me, we have the 2nd best fullback in the world so put him in that position...

Kornstar

Coach
I thought Dugan had a great game and he deserves the fullback spot I think if hayne makes the next team he will be on the bench and young will miss out. If I had my choice ibwould have Dugan fullback and uate and hayne on the wings I'm not a Morris fan

So Hayne shines in his one shot at Origin fullback and loses his spot but Dugan throws one good pass the whole game and keeps his spot???

I just don't get it? Dugan was solid at best and Hayne tore them to shreds last year? QLD have loyalty, NSW has Dicky Stuart!

What shits me, is that so many seem content with NSW's effort.

We lost! Its not good enough!

Once NSW hit the front, they thought they had won the game & went to sleep. Qld's first set, after NSW scored, made 80 metres!

(Other people on BSB complaining about some of the ref decisions. I tend to agree that there were bad decisions that slightly favoured Qld, however, I think NSW were lucky on some calls as well. Different rules for SOO - everyone knows that. Even if it is wrong)

How Morris & King were picked? They should buy lottery tickets imo.

Mannah was not given enough game time, once again.

84 Baby

Referee

I don't blame Dugan for the first try. He was the only one who thought it might be a good idea to run up and stop Smith from just walking over the line himself.

The 2nd try however... WTF were he and Morris doing? Dugan should have just yelled out 'yours' and Morris should have picked the f**king ball up. That was the play that lost us the game. Even if and when we scored tries, points alone weren't going to win the game after that. We needed a QLD-esque miracle.

Morris first person dropped followed by King and Snowden then Dugan and Gaz. And can someone please tell me the point of picking a bench when they never get used? Perhaps I open the floor to SK and Billy Rogers?

Joely01

Bench
What shits me, is that so many seem content with NSW's effort.

We lost! Its not good enough!

Once NSW hit the front, they thought they had won the game & went to sleep. Qld's first set, after NSW scored, made 80 metres!

(Other people on BSB complaining about some of the ref decisions. I tend to agree that there were bad decisions that slightly favoured Qld, however, I think NSW were lucky on some calls as well. Different rules for SOO - everyone knows that. Even if it is wrong)

How Morris & King were picked? They should buy lottery tickets imo.

Mannah was not given enough game time, once again.

i agree.

i also not sure about nsw having solid defense all night, i think qld were a bit lost actually and nsw were lucky. im not sure what the stats were for metres in the match by each team but it just seemed like qld were making about 60m per set and nsw were only making around 40m per set. which if your defence is on you shouldnt be letting qld get such easy metres.

I think if nsw have the mentality that yeh we went ok last night, we held them to 16 points, they will lose the seires 3 -0 again.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ricky Stuart should be sacked if NSW don't win this year. Gee Dugan played very good but Stuart comes out when Hayne wasn't picked and said he wanted a traditional full back not a ball playing fullback. He also mentioned Hayne was the next best short side player in the world behind Thurston. And guess what he tries to get his Golden Child Dugan to become a second receiver in his SOO debut when he doesn't even do it for his club side. FMD what is Stuart on !!!!

Then while NSW carved QLD up last night on Jennings side showed just how important Hayne would have been for NSW last night. Hayne loves to attack sh*t defence like that he is a special at it. QLD defence was crap on that side, put Hayne on the same side as a second receiver and we could have scored 2-3 tries down that side ( Soward and Pearce are crap ball players).

Hayne can do what dugan did last night, the difference is Hayne is 1000 times better as a second receiver. Plus his kicking game would take pressure of our halves.

Also how crap were our halves, Soward and Pearce were crap they didn't kick very will and looked a little lost.

NSW were made to look better then what they were last night. God help NSW if Inglis and Hodges come back into the side.

Also King is over rated gee the guy has been out for a few weeks and gets a walk up start into the side - did he even play last night !!!

NSW need to add Luke Lewis, Jarryd Hayne and Tom Leroyd Laris into the side.

The above three are all class in SOO and they are needed to add some leadership into the side. The forwards have Bird and Gallen as leaders, but our backline has no leadership something Hayne and Lewis if he plays 5/8 would bring.

And finally how in the F88K did Trent Merin get picked over Douglas, Galloway, Weyman, Bailey etc gee the he is a good player but he has only played 20 or so games.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I actually thought Dugan played pretty well. One mistake is all I saw.
Boyd owned Gasnier but I think Gaz deserves another shot.
Both starting props looked slow, lazy, tired. Merrin was hardly sighted either.
Mannah was the Blues best prop by far.
Hayne in for Morris for mine in Game 2.
I dont rate Farrah. He is too "kick happy" and has many brain explosions. Will win you a game then loose you three.
Cameron Smith is so far ahead of any NSW hooker its not even a contest.
Why the hell was Pearce kicking early and not Soward?
What the hell happened when Thurston scored his try? Who stuffed up?
Sorry but NSW needs impact off the bench and I dont think Gidley provides that.
NSW were obviously more desperate than usual but Qld looked a little out of sorts. Qld certainly capable of scoring many more points. Not so sure about NSW.
Willy Tonga very couragous.
Just my thoughts of cause.

Latest posts