What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO Game 1

Ron Jeremy

Coach
cut and paste

to be honest, i thought Dugan was just average tonight, he pretty much did what any other fullback would've done in his situation, nothing brillant, a few mistakes, a couple of ok things, but nothing to suggest he's better or in the same class as Hayne, Slater etc, i thought the move was meant because we had someone more talented? that's what normally happens, you find players better then the incumbents, have to say Haynes worse game was still alot better then Dugans game tonight.

To be fair though, a couple of good takes of the bombs, a couple of nice positioning plays on kicks he did ok, however apart from a couple of mistakes, what i found the worse thing thing about Dugan is his pace, he just seems to be a yard of any other player on the field, he looks...ummm slow and predictable in attack, no X factor there whatsoever. However leave him a t fullback to learn, throw a player in like Hayne to link with and provide options for him and he might blossom quite a bit. I think Haynes game would really help Dugans in attack. Let Dugan do the 1 percent's at the back, and when needed let Hayne roam to set up creativity - the perfect balance.

Dugan should stay at fullback, Hayne definately needs to be back somewhere.

yy_cheng

Coach
Honestly if Hayne plays tonight NSW probably win, Morris was garbage(again) And Ennis is an overated grubby Merkin, how bad was his kick on the 4th which went down Slaters throat which helped QLD back on the front foot???? 4 tackes later they score, it was a Morts special.

So mortz could play SOO !!!

I SK is resting him so he doesn't make the SOO II side and we'll use him as a surprise tactic.

He has 2nd and 3rd year syndrome so by making him rest, it will be like his 1st year all over again !

yy_cheng

Coach
cut and paste

to be honest, i thought Dugan was just average tonight, he pretty much did what any other fullback would've done in his situation, nothing brillant, a few mistakes, a couple of ok things, but nothing to suggest he's better or in the same class as Hayne, Slater etc, i thought the move was meant because we had someone more talented? that's what normally happens, you find players better then the incumbents, have to say Haynes worse game was still alot better then Dugans game tonight.

To be fair though, a couple of good takes of the bombs, a couple of nice positioning plays on kicks he did ok, however apart from a couple of mistakes, what i found the worse thing thing about Dugan is his pace, he just seems to be a yard of any other player on the field, he looks...ummm slow and predictable in attack, no X factor there whatsoever. However leave him a t fullback to learn, throw a player in like Hayne to link with and provide options for him and he might blossom quite a bit. I think Haynes game would really help Dugans in attack. Let Dugan do the 1 percent's at the back, and when needed let Hayne roam to set up creativity - the perfect balance.

Dugan should stay at fullback, Hayne definately needs to be back somewhere.

A back 3 of

Uate Dugan Hayne

who do you kick to?

Kornstar

Coach
I am sure there will be a wankfest over Dugan tomorrow though.......I heard Rabs say how great he had been at one point........

yy_cheng

Coach
He didn't do that bad. He did look threatening.

It would be good if Hayne and Dugan switched during the match so they don't know what's happenning.

bartman

Immortal
Honestly if Hayne plays tonight NSW probably win,
Really?

Sometimes I think we blue and gold fans overrate Hayne's impact significantly. I've lost count of the number of our games (just take 5 of this year's 6 losses) where I wait for Hayne to have that type of match-turning impact at club level, and it doesn't happen. I highly doubt Hayne's presence alone would have been a factor in changing tonight's result.

mrpwnd

Bench
Really?

Sometimes I think we blue and gold fans overrate Hayne's impact significantly. I've lost count of the number of our games (just take 5 of this year's 6 losses) where I wait for Hayne to have that type of match-turning impact at club level, and it doesn't happen. I highly doubt Hayne's presence alone would have been a factor in changing tonight's result.
Well for starters he would've been able to hold the ball and score a try.

Kornstar

Coach
It was actually nice not to have to sit through the game and worry about Hayne getting an injury, i know bartman doesn't rate him but if we lose Hayne to injury, we truly are f*cked!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really?

He's been our best in Origin since his debut year (2007). Twice he was named our player of the series, including '07.

Even Queenslanders have said he's the only Blues player who'd make their side.

And you reckon he wouldn't make much difference in Origin?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Really?

Well Morris gift wrapped QLD a try and offered SFA in attack, Hayne would have at least dove on that ball and who knows what he would have offered in attack. YY was spot on Dugan was ball playing quite a bit tonight and helped set up a try, but i thought Sticky didn't want Dugan playing that sort of role??? Hayne plays that role so much better. Besides we all know you are a Hayne hater, been death riding the guy since he displaced Burt at Fullback. Hayne was good against the Sharks, and outstanding against the Cowboys twice. He also played a great game against the Warriors and was tearing the Dogs a new one before his brain explosion which IMO was unforgivable.

mrpwnd

Bench
Well Morris gift wrapped QLD a try and offered SFA in attack, Hayne would have at least dove on that ball and who knows what he would have offered in attack. YY was spot on Dugan was ball playing quite a bit tonight and helped set up a try, but i thought Sticky didn't want Dugan playing that sort of role??? Hayne plays that role so much better. Besides we all know you are a Hayne hater, been death riding the guy since he displaced Burt at Fullback. Hayne was good against the Sharks, and outstanding against the Cowboys twice. He also played a great game against the Warriors and was tearing the Dogs a new one before his brain explosion which IMO was unforgivable.
Nah...Hayne's a shit fullback.

yy_cheng

Coach

It's a funny thing. Once Hayne started Ball playing, Slater tried to copy him and started throwing cut out passes to the grandstand.

However, Slater always has that pet play with Lockyer so he can get back to his roots.

Dugan ball playing was very unlike what ricky wanted (as you pointed out).

Pricey73

Juniors
I thought Dugan had a great game and he deserves the fullback spot I think if hayne makes the next team he will be on the bench and young will miss out. If I had my choice ibwould have Dugan fullback and uate and hayne on the wings I'm not a Morris fan

bartman

Immortal
Well for starters he would've been able to hold the ball and score a try.
Fair enough.

It was actually nice not to have to sit through the game and worry about Hayne getting an injury, i know bartman doesn't rate him but if we lose Hayne to injury, we truly are f*cked!
I rate him, but don't think the sun shines out of his arse. We won a game while Hayne was serving his suspension, and Monday's win wasn't down to Hayne so we aren't f**ked without him.

He's been our best in Origin since his debut year (2007). Twice he was named our player of the series, including '07.

Even Queenslanders have said he's the only Blues player who'd make their side.

And you reckon he wouldn't make much difference in Origin?
He's got the performances on the board sure, mostly on the wing. But to say if Hayne played tonight NSW wins is a bit one-eyed, don't you think? No one player's that important or game changing - after all, we're 4 and 6 this season and he adds a lot more to our club side than he would to an Origin-level side.

I can't quite work out what you're saying there...

We actually agree on the two bits in bold. I personally believe Hayne would have been better on the wing than Morris, but can also see why he wasn't selected in the first place. The second bit you've written in bold is basically the reason why Hayne was left out in a nutshell. Don't make the mistake of comparing Dugan and Hayne too directly and closely, the selection decision comes down to more than that (ie. culture, motivation, squad development for future seasons, balance while establishing a new halves combination).

I don't hate Hayne or think I death ride him. Burt's place in the team is and has always been secure regardless of Hayne, so is irrelveant. I just don't think the suns shines out of Hayne's arse as much as most here seem to. I want to see him play to his potential consistently, and develop that complete fullback's set of skills that both Sterlo and Hayne himself have both said this week that he hasn't quite managed yet.

bartman

Immortal
I thought Dugan had a great game and he deserves the fullback spot I think if hayne makes the next team he will be on the bench and young will miss out. If I had my choice ibwould have Dugan fullback and uate and hayne on the wings I'm not a Morris fan
Bingo, agree totally.

Will be interesting to see if Ricky brings in some other forwards to the mix/bench (eg Lewis for Young/Creagh, some different props) rather than what would be an unorthodox choice of Hayne or Idris as bench players.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fair enough.

I rate him, but don't think the sun shines out of his arse. We won a game while Hayne was serving his suspension, and Monday's win wasn't down to Hayne so we aren't f**ked without him.

He's got the performances on the board sure, mostly on the wing. But to say if Hayne played tonight NSW wins is a bit one-eyed, don't you think? No one player's that important or game changing - after all, we're 4 and 6 this season and he adds a lot more to our club side than he would to an Origin-level side.

I can't quite work out what you're saying there...

We actually agree on the two bits in bold. I personally believe Hayne would have been better on the wing than Morris, but can also see why he wasn't selected in the first place. The second bit you've written in bold is basically the reason why Hayne was left out in a nutshell. Don't make the mistake of comparing Dugan and Hayne too directly and closely, the selection decision comes down to more than that (ie. culture, motivation, squad development for future seasons, balance while establishing a new halves combination).

I don't hate Hayne or think I death ride him. Burt's place in the team is and has always been secure regardless of Hayne, so is irrelveant. I just don't think the suns shines out of Hayne's arse as much as most here seem to. I want to see him play to his potential consistently, and develop that complete fullback's set of skills that both Sterlo and Hayne himself have both said this week that he hasn't quite managed yet.
So Hayne is left out because of the head butt but we pick the team full of grubs like Ennis,Gallen,Bird???? I mean Ennis and Gallen cost us game 3 last year through stupid penalties while Hayne was just about the best player on the park(at fullback). I truly believe Hayne after being NSW best player for 4 series and finally getting the fullback job took it with both hands and did well. Dugan hadn't done enough to take it off Hayne and after watching tonight Sticky made the wrong call. Dugan is a terrific young player who did a solid job and will only improve but we honestly needed another threat out there tonight and Hayne could have made the difference.

Latest posts