What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sooo... Cooper Cronk...

Should we sign Cronk even at the expense of Pearce/Friend?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Tommy Smith

Referee
How much say do you Chooks fans think Robinson would have had in whether or not to pursue Cronk?

Genuine question. Looks like ya's got a small troll problem at the moment but I'm not trying to be one.
I'm almost certain that Robbo was 100% behind the decision.

Nick Politis wouldn't have forced Cronk upon Robbo if he didn't want him.

A couple of months back Robbo was on League Live and he mentioned that he and Uncle Nick talk every day and discuss the roster etc...

But there's just no way that the move was made above Robbo's head without his approval.

Tbh I think Robbo realises that we'd become a bit stale. 3 lost Prelims in a row and with Pearce/Friend at the helm I don't think there's common sense in believing that the next big match would be any different.

The club needed a shake up to take the next step and I think the Cronk signing is an acknowledgment of that by Nick and Robbo.

If players are upset at Pearce leaving then that to me has the stench of a 'boys club' too set in their ways.

The arrival and forceful on field personality of Cronk will shake that up which is why I'm sure Robbo is ecstatic with his signing.

Valheru

Coach
Genuine question - why cant Pearce play 6? Keary isnt being spoken about as if he is untouchable. He could potentially be a better super sub that Pearce (if he stays).

Am I missing something here?

The plan is for Pearce to play 6 and Keary on the bench.

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

Really?! Is that you Trent?! :rolleyes: :p

In all honesty none of us fans know what the plan is as we are not privy to it. Some people think that is the plan but I will give you some food to think about why it might not be a good idea:

1. Cronk and Pearce play a similar style of game. They are organising style halves, both are used to being the dominant play caller and have played a good chunk of their career with a five eight who complements them by having a more running style set up. Having a Pearce/Cronk five eight/half combo goes against that as neither are noted ball runners (not that they cannot be ball runners, but it is not their natural instinct).
2. Both Pearce and Cronk have played their careers as "right hand side" players. If you move Pearce to five eight, he is going to have to learn how to adapt to playing on the left hand side. It can take some adaption. Also if Pearce plays left side, he will more likely do less tackling than if he is on the right (as statistic show most teams tend to attack on their left hand side more than their right, generally speaking). He will also have to build new relationships with those defending either side of him as he has swapped side. This effects the team's defensive chemistry.
3. Pearce is a right footed kicker. Hence being on the left hand side, it makes it slightly more difficult when kicking to the left hand corner for the kick to be on target.
4. Keary provides a better foil as the running five eight than Pearce would.
5. Playing a Pearce/Cronk combo in the halves, combined with adding Tedesco at fullback, means the team has to adjust to a new halfback, new fullback and a new five eight. It would cause less disruption to the team by only having 2 changes in the spine as opposed to three.

I'm not saying I know what Robinson will do, but I would not say it is any lock that it will be Pearce to five eight and Keary to the interchange bench.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I think Pearce will leave the club. As sad as that may be and I hope it doesn’t eventuate, I just cant see 3 fitting into 2. For the reasons stated by Captain it’s hard to get a read on the team dynamics of fitting two very similar players into the same squad without something or someone giving in.

Pearcy is on holidays for the next three weeks or so. There could be a totally different scenario once he and his manager have had time to think things over.

Reactions: OVP

OVP

Coach

If that happens then I'm going to start the FOTRF. You don't move your best player to accommodate a has-been.

Lambretta

First Grade
If Pearce stays we still need to offload another player
Nokorima is still contracted and no one has tried to sign him - unless we tear up his contract because of the drugs thing. But do we have the right to do that if all he is handed is a 12 week ban?

The only logical way the Roosters can get back under the cap easily is for Pearce to go - and Newcastle seems like his best option

Nokorima is still contracted and no one has tried to sign him - unless we tear up his contract because of the drugs thing. But do we have the right to do that if all he is handed is a 12 week ban?

I just did a little search and found this nugget from the NRL's website in 2015 about the Drug Testing policy -

A first positive test results in the player receiving a suspended fine, and they must undertake a mandatory treatment program. The player is also placed on a monitoring program which involves targeted testing.

Players who record a second contravention will serve a 12-match ban, the prospect of contract termination and further treatment and monitoring. Third time offenders would be referred to the CEO or Chief Operating Officer of the NRL for them to determine an appropriate sanction.

So, it would appear the club may have that option to terminate his contract. I'd say we won't know until what is going to happen until Nikorima's appeal is done.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not sure why Cronk and Pearce cannot work.

Keary is the bloke who should be worried.

Lambretta

First Grade
I just did a little search and found this nugget from the NRL's website in 2015 about the Drug Testing policy -

So, it would appear the club may have that option to terminate his contract. I'd say we won't know until what is going to happen until Nikorima's appeal is done.

Yes, it does seem to hinge on his appeal
Apparently he has evidence which supports his claims he hasn't done anything

Whatever though, we are still over the cap even if we do terminate his contract, so we'll be looking to offload someone else

Tommy Smith

Referee
At least we'll once again be in a position to choke unlike Mary's Merry Men who'll be languishing down the ladder as usual.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Cronk is the winner. Taking uncle nicks money and causing a rift in the mercenary club made of greed and nothing to show for it. Chokers.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If Pearce stays we still need to offload another player

The only logical way the Roosters can get back under the cap easily is for Pearce to go - and Newcastle seems like his best option
Thank you for your honesty in realising a player has to be released......

I know what I see currently as does so so many people that talk to me on this who love their League....

You'll have guys wanting upgrades soon too in Mitchell, Keary and Taukaeiho....

Anyway I wouldn't be shocked if you guys want to clear out a bit to go for Angus.....

Anyhow if you take him we will just have to take Taukaeiho who is coming on in leaps and bounds and is currently playing better than Fifita imo.......

OVP

Coach
Cronk is the winner. Taking uncle nicks money and causing a rift in the mercenary club made of greed and nothing to show for it. Chokers.

You don't even know your own club's history do you ? St George were the ones who started the whole turning players into mercenaries thing when you went on your little 11 in a row spree. You're so stupid you probably think those player you bought were local juniors. Now turn round, little boy, and go play with the traffic. It's not our fault we are better at it than you lot these days.

RedVDragon

Juniors
You don't even know your own club's history do you ? St George were the ones who started the whole turning players into mercenaries thing when you went on your little 11 in a row spree. You're so stupid you probably think those player you bought were local juniors. Now turn round, little boy, and go play with the traffic. It's not our fault we are better at it than you lot these days.
Oh poor old ovp your such a loser with comments like that. Choke you loser. Cooper will miss his true mates. He has been placed at the rorters to destroy then. Trust me he will take the money divide the team and make sure they choke. Now go away into your choke pen with the rest of your 1000 so called renta crowd.

OVP

Coach
Oh poor old ovp your such a loser with comments like that. Choke you loser. Cooper will miss his true mates. He has been placed at the rorters to destroy then. Trust me he will take the money divide the team and make sure they choke. Now go away into your choke pen with the rest of your 1000 so called renta crowd.

Pathetic reply, but did I expect any better ? You better watch it or I'll make another phone call to Ousty Dousty pretending I'm a Roosters talent scout on the look out for a new coach. The last time I called they re-signed Mary for another two years. Care to make that 4 ?

Lambretta

First Grade
Thank you for your honesty in realising a player has to be released......

I know what I see currently as does so so many people that talk to me on this who love their League....

You'll have guys wanting upgrades soon too in Mitchell, Keary and Taukaeiho....

Anyway I wouldn't be shocked if you guys want to clear out a bit to go for Angus.....

Anyhow if you take him we will just have to take Taukaeiho who is coming on in leaps and bounds and is currently playing better than Fifita imo.......

Yeah, tbh, losing Nikorima for us isn't enough just to be cap compliant for this season
We need to lose two players for that to happen

As for signing Crichton, we'd need to make space and that would mean losing someone fairly decent to accommodate. Dropping SST doesn't make sense for us, because as you say, he's come along in leaps and bounds

Lambretta

First Grade

I do find it ironic that someone who supports the team which has choked as many as any other would use this to insult us?

What's wrong - is mediocrity really the new black?

Then you use supporter numbers as an insult
During the last three seasons the Dragons have averaged 18,000 members
The Roosters have averaged 15,500

The Roosters average crowd for the past two years is 12,996
The Dragons average crowd for the past two years is 13,483

Both clubs have 1 Anzac Day game included in those figures
Both clubs spent time near the top of the table during that time - both clubs had poor runs during that time

So there is little between the two clubs as far as supporter numbers go over recent seasons

This in spite of the fact the Dragons are supposedly one of the most popular clubs in the Country with an enormous geographical footprint. You should have a membership three times the size of ours. The fact you don't either means you're punching well below your weight or we're punching well above ours

Either way, it's you who should be embarrassed by supporter numbers - not us

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah, tbh, losing Nikorima for us isn't enough just to be cap compliant for this season
We need to lose two players for that to happen

As for signing Crichton, we'd need to make space and that would mean losing someone fairly decent to accommodate. Dropping SST doesn't make sense for us, because as you say, he's come along in leaps and bounds
Hahahaha yep if you want and get Angus of course then I reckon Souths will play dirty too... SST would be a good replacement......

I do find it ironic that someone who supports the team which has choked as many as any other would use this to insult us?

What's wrong - is mediocrity really the new black?

Then you use supporter numbers as an insult
During the last three seasons the Dragons have averaged 18,000 members
The Roosters have averaged 15,500

The Roosters average crowd for the past two years is 12,996
The Dragons average crowd for the past two years is 13,483

Both clubs have 1 Anzac Day game included in those figures
Both clubs spent time near the top of the table during that time - both clubs had poor runs during that time

So there is little between the two clubs as far as supporter numbers go over recent seasons

This in spite of the fact the Dragons are supposedly one of the most popular clubs in the Country with an enormous geographical footprint. You should have a membership three times the size of ours. The fact you don't either means you're punching well below your weight or we're punching well above ours

Either way, it's you who should be embarrassed by supporter numbers - not us

If you have ever attended ANZAC day or if you were at the 2010 GF you know that numbers don't tell the whole story.
The size of and extent of diaspora of Dragons fans absolutely dwarfs that of Easts.
Having a wider diaspora necessarily means that a smaller percentage of fans will attend games/become members. The average jersey owning, every game watching, Dragons fanatic in country NSW or South Queensland does not become a member or attend games.

Now as for on field success, Easts are a club to be admired. There will always be speculation about well monied, successful and well connected clubs "cheating the cap" but if they haven't been caught they must bend the rules very well. Any other club would do the same if they were as well resourced.

Anywho.
I came in here to say I hope Cronk goes well for you. He really is the only likeable one from the big 3 and his time with you will be legacy defining.

Latest posts