What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sooo... Cooper Cronk...

Should we sign Cronk even at the expense of Pearce/Friend?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
I'm a bit torn about this.... Pearce has been a great club man and is no doubt a talented player however i feel that he has really hit his peak and moving him on might not be the worst thing. Especially for a player of Cronks caliber.

Having watched probably 90% of all Pearces games the one thing that has always stood out to me is that he has always seemed to have very poor 'football instincts'. His running game for someone who consistently ranks as one of the fastest in the team is total shit and his short kicking game although improved (the year we won the comp i think he and Maloney finally figured out how to build pressure) is still not as good as it needs to be. He can lead a team, is a good tough defender, plays well to structure with a decent long kicking game. However on the negative side of the coin in my opinion he has a poor running game/instincts poor short kicking game and not the best in game decision making.

The negatives here are things you cant teach so to speak. For a lesser player you keep him every day of the week however for at least two years of Cronk its worth making the change.

Lets see what happens

adamkungl

Immortal
This is f**ked.

Pearce signed on last year without even looking at other offers.
I wouldn't be surprised if JWH, Aubo, Friend all did the same.

Telling a 10 year clubman, 28 yr old rep player he's gonna be an understudy for 2 years knowing full well how he'd take it is a giant f**k you to not only Pearce but these other guys too. Especially after we moved SKD on.
Team unity and players who live for the club are as important in a premiership team as any superstar. I don't think Cronk guarantees anything.

If Pearce leaves for Cronk, anything less than a premiership will be a sad, completely embarrassing and club damaging waste.

ouryear

Juniors
This is f**ked.

Telling a 10 year clubman, 28 yr old rep player he's gonna be an understudy for 2 years knowing full well how he'd take it is a giant f**k you to not only Pearce but these other guys too. Especially after we moved SKD on.
Team unity and players who live for the club are as important in a premiership team as any superstar. I don't think Cronk guarantees anything.

If Pearce leaves for Cronk, anything less than a premiership will be a sad, completely embarrassing and club damaging waste.

Great post mate.
Spot on

This is f**ked.

Correction 28 year old rep dud.

ouryear

Juniors
Correction 28 year old rep dud.
BS mate.

How about blaming Rhonda Woods, Fafita other game 1 was very poor , Dugan hopeless, Hayne was pathetic in games
2 and 3, and so on.

Blaming Pearce is ridiculous, he was one of the better ones.

Cordner was poor in game 3

It is poor form to blame Pearce when the entire team was poor. I guess it fits in with your agenda though.

If Cronk joins the roosters, he will set you back 2 years, you poor mugs.

Lambretta

First Grade
Still doesn't change the fact that Pearce is a rep dud. He just has very good company amongst the other Blusers.

I have never been a fan of Pearce in Origin - but seriously, what other sensible choice was there for NSW?

Also, blaming Pearce for NSW's Origin woes is like blaming a steering wheel for a car crash without considering all the other things which contributed to the crash

Sure the steering wheel didn't help you avoid the crash
But neither did the burst tyres, the oil on the road, or the 15 juggernauts which came sliding at you from all angles at 100 miles per hour

In Origin, If Hayne passes NSW take an unassailable lead in Origin 2 and series over

NSW's forwards in that second half of game two were ineffective and created little go forward. NSW were not able to retain field position to give the halves an opportunity to create anything. All their kicking was defensive.

In game 3, Queensland had won the game after 20 minutes. They were absolutely magnificent and NSW had no response anywhere on the field. If Pearce had been Andrew Johns at his peak NSW would have lost that game. They destroyed us. You're right that he has good company in other ineffective Blues players

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
I don't see how we can keep Pearce now.. Adams right, he has real cause to be very f**king pissed off about this.. unfortunately it seems like a case of 'what have you done for me lately' and Trent, Nick and the the decision making team deciding its not enough.

That's pro sports i guess...

for us its definitely an upgrade at the position... probably a downgrade in team cohesion though..

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Cronk is a brilliant buy for you guys.

With Teddy at the back, you have two marquee players that not only rarely play badly or put a foot wrong but can really dictate a game, something missing from guys like Pearce and Gordon last couple of years

Main thing is that the other players stay healthy and also buy into what these two guys bring to the table and you lot are dead set serious contenders (id have you ranked no2 behind Storm).

Kudos to Cronk, he could have easily retired and got himself a nice cushiony commentator gig role at fox sports. He is putting his reputation out there. I think he will be determined to get the chooks a comp whilst he is there.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Pearce stunk it up post-Origin in what is supposed to be his prime.

His poor form at seasons end played a big role in our season fizzling out in such timid fashion and I applaud the club for not settling for 'good' when 'great' was available.

SBD82

Coach
I'd like to be the first to congratulate your club on signing Cronk.

I'd also like to say a big f**k you. I've wanted to see cronk in a red v for a long long time. Disgusted that we never even came close to signing him.

Latest posts