What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa?

Boz the Eagle

Juniors
I was just wondering what the state of league is in South Africa? Logically a strong union country must at least have some market for league. Also the big strong forwards would relish the impact and toughness of league. I just cant see why it would'nt be a market we would pursue further.

roopy

Referee
I've just added South Africa to the thread directories.
If you check out some of those threads you should get a clearer picture on the state of the game over there.

He was talking about the state of League IN South Africa.

As Ive said before....when there is a World Cup in the air and they need to be around for their free trip.....you can be sure that a n international League side from South Africa will pop up somewhere.

hgfds

Juniors
Certainly would be great to see the usa play south africa what time of the year would the match be?,has anyone crowd figures for the russian tour of south africa in the 90s ,the 2000 wc qualifer with wales drew a crowd of 8,000 so the potential for league must still exist in south africa.Regarding the usa has any info been leaked in regard to wc qualifers?Could u be in the same group as the africans,west indies,argentina etc.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
South Africa toured Aus/NZL in 1963, they were beaten comprohensively by Australia, but when they toured NZL they won one test.

I remember South Africa played Australia in a WC match, they got thrashed 86-6. I find it a bit unusual that nation strong on Rugby, struggle to pick up Rugby League. The last WC they got beat by Tonga and France by more than 50 points. I havent heard much since, I hope the game over there is still alive and doing well.

One time in the competition, there was a South African born leading pointscorer, Fred Griffiths, played for Norths I think back in the 60s. And I think a few years ago when Halifax where in the ESL they had a South African player, cant remember his name though.

Woods99

Juniors
A South African winger called Tom Von Vollenhoven was a star in England in rugby league in the sixties. He also played for the Springboks.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Woods99 said:
A South African winger called Tom Von Vollenhoven was a star in England in rugby league in the sixties. He also played for the Springboks.

When the first match reports started coming out I was inclined to ignore them, but since they have continued in great detail and pointed to areas that really aren't likely to be faked, including Tom Vollenhoven being named as attending games and the cup being named after him, then I'm quite prepared to accept that this latest league is fully functional. My only question is will it continue over more than a single season?

BatiFan

Juniors
Here is the latest Press Release from the SARL which was received just today (Monday 24/10/05)

MPUMALANGA PANTHERS CHALLENGE CUP.
Played Friday night at Middelburg.

Loskop Leopards(Groblersdal) vs. Ermelo Cheetahs.
Loskop Leopards won this match by 56-38 scoring 11 tries to 8.
The lead changed continiously in this match and 3 converted tries in the
last 10 minutes of the match secured victory for the Leopards.
Leopards are now leading the log in Mpumalanga Province.
Players of the match:paul Hoffman(Leopards) and Marius Kruger(Cheetahs)

RHINO CUP COMPETITION.
All matches played on Saturday at HTS Vereeniging.

Note:Match between Bulls 2 and Silverbacks will be played on Wednesday
night at Silverton.

Vaal Mambas vs.Boksburg Hooters.
Mambas pulled of this one in the dying minutes of the match.Final score
38-32 scoring 8 tries to 6.
Mambas were comfortably in the lead by 24-4 midway through the match but
the Hooters never gave up,coming back from behind.
Hooters fielded six (6) of their juniors - ages 14-16 in this match,once
again proving the worth of youth in Rugby League.
The match produced some excellent Rugby League from both sides.
Players of the match:D.Makwart(Mambas) and Chris Lombart(Hooters)

Brakpan Beares vs.Kempton Wolves.
The best game of the day.
The score says it all - Beares 32 Wolves 30 -The difference a single
conversion.
Beares were lucky to snatch this one.
Tries scored 7 each.
Both sides played very well and this was a good advert for Rugby League in
South Africa.
Players of the match:Deon Lewis(Beares) and Ryno Nel(Wolves)

ERP Falcons vs.Vereeniging Kiewiete.
Home ground defeat for the Kiewiete in their first home game this season.
ERP Falcons won by 44-16 scoring 8 tries to 3.
Falcons were in control of this match right from kick-off.
Players of the match:Jaque Bester(Kiewiete) and Morne van Rooyen(Falcons)

Pretoria Bulls vs.VUT Eagles.
As expected Bulls ran in another big victory defeating VUT Eagles by 76-0
,scoring 13 tries in total.
Bulls are now leading the log.
Bulls gave an excellent display of Rugby League and took control right
from the start.
VUT Eagles never gave up and a few times got very close to scoring.
The Eagles side comprising of students are a very spirited side - After
all their setbacks this seson they are still an asset to Rugby League.
Players of the match:Heinrich Rademeyer(Pta. Bulls) and Axe Gwazela (VUT
Eagles).

NEXT EVENT:
PROVINCIAL TOURNAMENT SATURDAY 29 OCTOBER 2005 AT BEARINGMAN
PARK,VANDERBIJLPARK.
Mpumalanga Panthers vs. NG. Bulls
Vaal Buffaloes vs.Eastern Eagles
Plus:"B" Side curtainraisers/

ALL DAY RUGBY LEAGUE CHARITY DAY AT PRINCE GEORGE PARK,BOKSBURG.
AN EVENT NOT TO BE MISSED - ALL SORTS OF ACTIVITIES.
Saturday 5 Novemner 2005.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
BatiFan said:
Hooters fielded six (6) of their juniors - ages 14-16 in this match,once again proving the worth of youth in Rugby League.

14?!!! It is a seniors comp isn't it?

If the report is true, then (1) good to see that clubs have juniors, but (2) a bit of a worry in terms of player depth when they need to trot out 14 year olds (assuming that it is a seniors comp).

By the way BatiFan, where do you get these releases from (are they available on the web somewhere)?

Big Bunny

Juniors
Isn't there some rule that stops 14yr olds playing with seniors? If not then there bloody well should be.