What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Orcas (NZ2)

ash the bash

Juniors
As we finally have a bidder/proposal for a second NZ team think its fair for it to have its own thread.

I will take this bid on face value and won't comment on the bloke behind it as have heard a few sketchy things about his involvement with Bradford. So taking that out of the picture and looking at the bid on face value.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/17/grand-plans-inside-the-$30m-bid-for-a-second-new-zealand-team/

• Play out of Sky Stadium and take regular matches to Christchurch, where a new 25,000-seat stadium is being built;
  • Establish regional high-performance academies for junior male and female talent in the lower North Island and South Island;
  • Create an elite women’s team with aspirations to play in the NRLW;
  • Provide NZ$30 million in capital to ensure the club’s financial viability, and;
  • Develop a rivalry with the Warriors that would generate huge interest in New Zealand.
My personal thoughts:
- Not the biggest fan of Sky Stadium gives a vast ANZ stadium vibe not to mention being an oval. Although it is located in a good spot & Wellington is a great place for a night out.
- Not sure on how the Wellington-Christchurch divide will go. Ideally maybe play 7 games at Welly with 4 at Christchurch & maybe 1 game in Dunedin.
- Big pluses on the junior development front, massive potential.
- Like the Dolphins I think the Orcas is a great brand, very relatable with kids and something that is found in NZ waters.
- Playing at both Wellington and Christchurch could potentially alleviate the lack of corporate support by trying to gain corporate support from 2 cities rather than 1.

As an expat who lives abroad and only goes to OZ/NZ for holidays I'm a huge fan of NZ as a country. Interested to hear your thoughts on the Orcas.

Cheers

How is the Oztag junior base in Christchurch?

Coz that’s what the game will be like by the time any expansion side comes in under the reign of Peter Knee-Jerk Vlandys..

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
A fledgling Wellington NRL team playing out of the Cake Tin?
Wonder what that'd do for crowds playing on an Oval. The WACA contributed to the Reds demise as Subiaco Oval destroyed a lot of the Western Force's supporter momentum.
Wellington needs a boutique 15 000 seat Rectagular Stadium which the Wellington Phoenix proposed a few years ago (think they wanted 12 000). Host the Phoenix, Lions and Orcas with marquee matches moved to the Cake Tin, Christchurch and Dunedin.
I don't at all know the sums, but I'd really prefer a second NZ NRL team to be a South Island team.
Better yet, I'd rather an 18th team be Perth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
A fledgling Wellington NRL team playing out of the Cake Tin?
Wonder what that'd do for crowds playing on an Oval. The WACA contributed to the Reds demise as Subiaco Oval destroyed a lot of the Western Force's supporter momentum.
Wellington needs a boutique 15 000 seat Rectagular Stadium which the Wellington Phoenix proposed a few years ago (think they wanted 12 000). Host the Phoenix, Lions and Orcas with marquee matches moved to the Cake Tin, Christchurch and Dunedin.
I don't at all know the sums, but I'd really prefer a second NZ NRL team to be a South Island team.
Better yet, I'd rather an 18th team be Perth.
Trying to be everything to everyone only results in being nothing to anyone.

Hawkins

Juniors
serious question

if there is a second NZ team

Will the warriors have to re brand back to Auckland?

flippikat

Bench
Pass on Wellington unless they build a rectangular stadium, and hard pass on anything that Andrew Chalmers is involved with.

The council here *should* have made it a rectangular design, with the Basin Reserve upgraded for day/night cricket.

What we got was an oval, with spectators far from the action at footy games, and a plethora of uncomfortable & soulless yellow seats for a cricket 1-dayer or T20.

Multi-use stinks.

Diesel

Referee
Like everyone else, Welly needs a rectangle stadium and that’ll hold them back.
The idea of an oval was acceptable 20-odd years ago when the CakeTin was built and a lot of the grounds in NZ were multipurpose but in 2021, it won’t cut it. It’s a shame the Seddon earthquake a few years back didn’t do more damage to the stadium. Perfect location but should be rectangle.

On another note, the Basin (Reserve) needs a mini upgrade for cricket and that’s where NZC should be playing in Wellington

images

The cake tin?

images

More like the bed pan.

flippikat

Bench
Like everyone else, Welly needs a rectangle stadium and that’ll hold them back.
The idea of an oval was acceptable 20-odd years ago when the CakeTin was built and a lot of the grounds in NZ were multipurpose but in 2021, it won’t cut it. It’s a shame the Seddon earthquake a few years back didn’t do more damage to the stadium. Perfect location but should be rectangle.

On another note, the Basin (Reserve) needs a mini upgrade for cricket and that’s where NZC should be playing in Wellington

Dunedin & Christchurch both moved away from multi-use stadiums in the last decade, and it's been a great move for cricket as well as footy.

Auckland has been inching towards a similar solution for a long time, but just hasn't had the guts to bin Eden Park.

I get the feeling that Wellington would have gotten a modern rectangular stadium if the build had just been 10 years later...

flippikat

Bench

Problem is the Phoenix proposal was in the Hutt Valley, so the people from Tawa/Porirua/Kapiti wouldn't have easy transport there.