What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Orcas

t-ba

Post Whore
Daithi O'Conaill said:
sh*t name, sh*t jersey, sh*t emblem.

If someone had said 10-15 years ago that we'd have teams styling themselves as "The Cowboys", "The Dolphins" and "The Orcas" they would have been laughed off.

These jokes demean the comp and make us a laughing stock.

If they cant think of a mascot that isn't Americanised or as weak as piss then they should just name themselves after the area they represent and leave it at that.

Though I certainly think the Dolphins and the Cowboys (And the Broncos & The Raiders) are a bit too American, I see nothing wrong with "Orcas". The Orca has a rather important place in traditional Maori Culture.

It'd be like Criticizing Norths for stealing Chicagos Name...

Iafeta

Referee
Dogboy said:
innsaneink said:
dimitri said:
whats wrong with orcas

its better than dolphins

I agree ........... orcas have balls, dolphins have fingernail polish.

I guess it'll be educational too, kids everyone askin "Whats an orca"?

...and for those who don't know, an orca is a killer whale.

I like it; it's original, unique, relevant to the area it represents (I assume), and it's not a creature that you would muck around with!

As for their inclusion, I would love to see them in. I don't think Aussie fans realise how important it would be for RL in NZ to have a second professional team. The derbies with the Warriors every year would be sensational, and it would reduce the current exodus of good young players from NZ looking for opportunities, which is really draining NZ league of talent.

:clap:

Iafeta

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Bring back the Chargers, more agressive. :twisted:

If Wellington was to be in the comp, then the Warriors should revert back to its old name and old colours (2002 colours that is).

Technically, I understand the name on the license is "Vodafone Warriors" or "The Warriors". From what I understand, Eric Watson used New Zealand Warriors in a couple of advertising campaigns and since then the Australian media has caught onto using it.

So there wouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't think. They'd just be the Warriors again.

Davester

Juniors
From the Gold Coast Dolphins website

www.goldcoastdolphins.com.au said:
Why did you choose the name "Gold Coast Dolphins"?
"The Gold Coast Dolphins" was the preferred choice from several public and private surveys into the name. A Sunday Mail online survey conducted 2nd May 2004, had more than 1000 respondents. The poll asked what team would you prefer on the Gold Coast (with a selection of name options provided).

Results:
Dolphins 21%
Pirates 11.7%
Titans 11.2 %
Gladiators 10%
Mariners 8%
Chargers less than 5%
Cyclones
Seagulls
Bulls Buccaneers
Giants

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I assume the others like Buccaneers and Cyclones didnt get a vote. Probably cause theyre ordinary names. Still I prefer the Chargers than the Pirates, I mean imagine a name like that in the NRL. #-o

joshreading

Staff member
How is the Dolphin out of interest American? I think Redcliffe might say something about that. The last I looked we have alot of Dolphins in this country as well

DIEHARD

----
I'm glad they didn't call them the Gold Coast Butt Pirates.

I love the Dolphins, although I voted for Gladiators for that survey.

paulmac

Juniors
Southern Orcas is a crap name.The team should be called Wellington and as a nickname i like Giants after the giant moa that used to roam NZ.If they arent to be called Wellington then the Warriors should revert back to Auckland and the Giants/Orcas be called NZ and split their games all over kiwiland except for Auckland.

simon says

First Grade
How about the Nth Island Warriors and the SOuth Island Orcas??...if we want a rivalry that encourages evryone to get involved well then here it is....

I have no issue with Orcas....very cool and not Yankee at all(unlike Raiders,Broncos etc yuck).

But that jersey is soooooo Mardi Gras its not funny.

Moggles

Juniors
So you all want it to be more Aussie???

Do you mean Like:
Gold Coast Mozzies, Brisbane Koalas??? shit like that?

Does this mean that the Sydney Roosters are too french??

Matt M

Juniors
Moggles said:
So you all want it to be more Aussie???

Do you mean Like:
Gold Coast Mozzies, Brisbane Koalas??? sh*t like that?

Does this mean that the Sydney Roosters are too french??

Well they did steal the French jersey and their name...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
simon says said:
How about the Nth Island Warriors and the SOuth Island Orcas??...if we want a rivalry that encourages evryone to get involved well then here it is....
There's a small problem with that.... Wellington's in the NORTH Island. A second NZ team nereds to be primarily Wellington based as that's where the crowds will come from, however to capture the widest possible support it needs to include the South Island as well. The Souther Orcas concept does this effectively, and capitalises on the Auckland vs the rest of NZ rivalry. It also provides the most even split in terms of player resources as Auckland has around 1/3 of NZ's population and more than half ofthe League players.

PARRA_FAN said:
Bring back the Chargers, more agressive. :twisted:

If Wellington was to be in the comp, then the Warriors should revert back to its old name and old colours (2002 colours that is).
don't think they can convert back to the auckland warriors unless they take on all the costs that the warriors avoided when they went bacnkrupt

The Toecutter

Juniors
Daithi O'Conaill said:
If someone had said 10-15 years ago that we'd have teams styling themselves as "The Cowboys", "The Dolphins" and "The Orcas" they .
MMMmm Cowboys entered the comp ten years ago. I'm not that keen on the Dolphin but I like the Orca.

Dogboy

Juniors
A bit off the point, but having just seen the film "Deep Blue" and watching footage of an Orca hunting sea lions and propelling them 20 metres in the air with its tail, just for fun, before devouring them, then seeing a pair of Orcas pursue and kill a grey whale that was bigger than them both, I'm pretty impressed with those creatures!

Good name for a footy team!

Latest posts