What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern to knights, if so recruitment drive over!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
the fact we have to re sign a 35yr old should say it all really

I guess Manly shouldn't have kept Steve Menzies when he got to his mid 30's. True he was one of their best players at that time, but the fact he was in his mid 30's obviously meant it was a bad decission. What's it like to be so black and white regarding life?

StinkyPete

Juniors
didn't know where to put this so just figure i put it here... Willie tonga has requested a release from his contract at the Cowboys... anyone think he would be a good pick up, he was one of the better players in a poor team this year

this is a lie. he actually came out and said he wants to finish his career at the cowboys.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
ive seen it in various articles that henry has promised him that if he isn't happy he can have a release ... rumor has it he been looking at the gold coast

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I guess Manly shouldn't have kept Steve Menzies when he got to his mid 30's. True he was one of their best players at that time, but the fact he was in his mid 30's obviously meant it was a bad decission. What's it like to be so black and white regarding life?

Please dont put beaver and doogs in the same situation.... menzies was still at the top of his game. Doogs whilst still plays well isnt the player he used to be and is just there because the coach wont give another player a chance

Serc

First Grade
On 08-10 form, Doogs is not too far off his form from his golden days...has held his own or outplayed opposing rep quality centres on a regular basis. Even when you include the fact that he only plays around half to 2/3rds of each season, he is great value for money.

Rusty

Juniors
Please dont put beaver and doogs in the same situation.... menzies was still at the top of his game. Doogs whilst still plays well isnt the player he used to be and is just there because the coach wont give another player a chance

Spot on, no comparison between the two..

Pika

Bench
I think it is simply a matter of who is best at the time.

You start a season with the intention of winning every game you can.

If your season is gone and you want to look to the future, then throw a rookie in.

But if you play a kid at the start of the season with the theory of 'looking to the future' over a player who is simply better at the time but getting on a bit, then you might find your self looking at the future all season.

If Doogs gets through preseason and ticks all the boxes and looks better than Lik or whoever else is out there, he gets the nod as far as I am concerned.

I find it ridiculous to sit someone out who is better just to give a young kid a go.

Its not under 8s. noones Mum ios going to get upset if little Johnny does not get his turn because he is not up to it now, but could be soon.

Rusty

Juniors
At some point we will need to give some of the young guys to establish themselves or why sign them? The disheartening thing about is that we get all excited about new recruitments only to see the likes of Tolar the powderpuff take the field. WTF? Players like Tolar would not even make the grade at other clubs. Now we've signed Southern? If the clubs serious about winning premiership, they will need to get rid of the dead wood and give themselves an upper cut for losing Smith.

Pika

Bench
My comments were regarding doogs.

I appreciate where you are coming fromin other regards.

Tolar will be a gap filler and nothing more in 2011. Southern deserves an off season before we start writing him off. Costigan got exactly the same response from Saints fans initially and was unfit and slow before Benny kicked him into gear. We now have both and i for one think our pack will be getting much more respect in 2011. If they all fire as a unit we will be very tough to get over the top of.

Costigan under Bennett has been fantastic and relished the structure there........

We all know he potentially if not managed right has Owen Craigie written all over him.

Johns Magic

Referee
I complained about signing Southern before, and still am. He certainly isn't the type of player I'd be chasing and recruiting him was absolutely baffling to me.

But he's the type with a bit of grit in him and there is something in the back of my mind saying he could be a good fit for this club. Mostly as Ciraldo's replacement though. But there is a big chance that is just wishful thinking...

aqua_duck

Coach
Personally I've got nothing against Steve southern it's more the fact that we've got quite a few backrowers already and also enough toilers. Personally I'd rather someone young like kyle o'donnell, zane tetevano, con mika or ethan cook fill that bench backrower slot.

macavity

Referee
gotta wonder

we had the coin for Jeremy Smith

missed out

and signed Steve Southern

assuming we offered each market value, where did the extra 250k go?